What to do with bare stubble now?

You're all terrible people, fancy suggesting such a thing :wink:

Seriously though, i think relationships like this have to be based on honesty and even if i could get away with spraying it and saying nothing, it's not something i would want to do.

Even as a committed organic farmer i can see the logic in using a one off dose of glyphos in this case, the land has been hammered with sprays for 30 years, one more for the road is neither here nor there, and arguably it's the most environmentally friendly option given that the alternative will be to burn up loads of fossil fuel and wearing metal trying to bash it into submission.

However, i've expressed this view to the owner and i've told them it's worth more to me if we can spray it at the outset, and they're adamant they don't want this and are prepared to accept a (much) lower rent to take account of the extra work and other restrictions this condition will impose on the project. that's fair enough, it's their land and up to them to say how they want it farmed.

So whilst i fully appreciate where folks are coming from with these suggestions, it's not something that i can act on, i need to find the best way to proceed given the conditions in place.

currently i'm thinking get as much muck as i can on it over the winter, plough it up early and work it up with spring times or discs a couple (?) of times to knock the rhizomes back then lime it and get some aggressive forage mix into a good seedbed as soon as the weather allows.

It's been suggested to me that i could plough now and let the frost go to work on the rhizomes, but i'm concerned about nutrient leaching and top soil loss if i did that. but would some other type of cultivation, discing or chisel plough perhaps, be of any benefit at this late stage?

tbh i myself i think i would just plaster it in muck as much as possible and plough in the spring
get your red clovers and italiens in when its warm enough for them to take off late april and get 2 cuts off it later on

At this late stage I'd say giving it an aggressive discing maybe a couple of times will chop up the skutch and make ploughing in the spring a lot easier. There's nothing more soul destroying then the hardship of constantly clearing a plough of big wads of skutch and clay. Given what you say about land coming up for leasing been non existent in your area I'd be doing whatever it takes to keep the owners happy and over a couple of years you'll get it hammered into shape. Would Italian Rye grasses out compete skutch?. Might be an option if it did.

Back