What would you give up if it meant the re licensing of glyphosate?

Nothing.
If they are stupid enough to ban it, work away, they will have to un-ban it quickly enough after.
It is one product I will never worry about losing. If they do ban it and then have to reintroduce it that might slow them down banning other products.

Nothing.
If they are stupid enough to ban it, work away, they will have to un-ban it quickly enough after.
It is one product I will never worry about losing. If they do ban it and then have to reintroduce it that might slow them down banning other products.
Excellent. I admire your optimism. So you're going with the im a farmer and I should be allowed to do what ever I want approach. I feel this will be popular

Or I could go down your route.
I am willing to give up anything I don't agree with and think others should stop as well, eg.
Smoking
Speeding
Keeping sheep
Manual labour
And direct drilling.
You're completely missing my point. I enjoy ploughing, it's an incredible art.

It's nothing to do with what I like or don't like.

I'd give up farming, set the place to a dairy man. There is enough hardship in tillage farming without the most vital tool we have been taken away.
Fair enough but what you trade off to keep it as a compromise? How would demonstrate to joe public that you are a responsible user and what bigger picture benefits to the consumer of you being able to use it?

If they ban it would we be as well off to go the organic route what with the incentives etc

Surely the first step for regulation should be to take it off the shelves for the general public and only allow Registered Professional Users to use it. You hear crazy stories of people applying a litre of glyphosate to tiny areas in gardens as the person has little or no knowledge and just take the "I'll just throw in a good splash approach".

Surely the first step for regulation should be to take it off the shelves for the general public and only allow Registered Professional Users to use it. You hear crazy stories of people applying a litre of glyphosate to tiny areas in gardens as the person has little or no knowledge and just take the "I'll just throw in a good splash approach".

You can only buy a litre at a time, nothing stopping them from buying a litre a day and stocking up it's a joke,

The idea of giving up one thing or another in order to pacify these lunatics makes no sense whatsoever.

I’ll happily give up something if there’s proof as to why I should.

To give up glyphosate or something else in its place only goes to give these people credibility, to exchange something else in its place also would demonstrate that it can’t have been that bad in the first place.

It should be a black and white decision, nothing to do with seed dressing, fair city, Ryan Tubridys hair style or other such unrelated topics.

The idea of giving up one thing or another in order to pacify these lunatics makes no sense whatsoever.

I’ll happily give up something if there’s proof as to why I should.

To give up glyphosate or something else in its place only goes to give these people credibility, to exchange something else in its place also would demonstrate that it can’t have been that bad in the first place.

It should be a black and white decision, nothing to do with seed dressing, fair city, Ryan Tubridys hair style or other such unrelated topics.
Right great but consider this.
We don't live in a perfect world
Everything has its problems and potential downsides
It's much easier to justify something if delivers on a number of fronts despite any potential draw backs there are to it

Im getting fed up with all these social media know it alls, you have to believe the scientist's about global warming or your a luddite, then in the next sentence, you can't believe the science on roundup. Fucking idiots
That's great Marco but where does that get is in securing the use of roundup going forward? I know they are idiots but even idiots have voices

Right great but consider this.
We don't live in a perfect world
Everything has its problems and potential downsides
It's much easier to justify something if delivers on a number of fronts despite any potential draw backs there are to it

I hear you,
But I’m not admitting there are any downsides to Glyphosate....
It’s not a perfect world for sure (e.g. smoking is legal....!), but I’m not for rolling over to them.

I hear you,
But I’m not admitting there are any downsides to Glyphosate....
It’s not a perfect world for sure (e.g. smoking is legal....!), but I’m not for rolling over to them.
I think it would be naive to say there are no downsides to glyphosate (only because it's very hard to get unbiased science to prove anything undisputedly) but that doesn't justify it being banned

I believe that there are no proven damage caused by Glypho. I can't see any reason to link ploughing or DD, insecticides or seed treatment have to it.
I am not even sure if we should be discussing other options for the over fed masses, but that being said.
The restrictions I think may end up coming in are.
No tallow amine
No pre-harvest
Rotational use, only allowed use it on 1/4 of your area, the same as malting barley growers now.

Last edited:
Im sorry but I don't really get the "we should support a ban on pre-harvest roundup so the public will have more confidence in us (farmers)". If you were 100% confident in product why would you want to limit its use? I honestly think it's a very easy cop out to appease the anti roundup movement. I'd imagine the majority of arable farmers in the East of England would be more than happy to forgo pre-harvest roundup but it's easy for them to agree to something which in reality would have very little effect on there farming operations anything. On the other hand, l'd say an arable farmer in the black isle would be seriously effected by not being able to roundup crops pre harvest.

There is a major problem with roundup and its one which is rarely mentioned.... It's price. Roundup is far too cheap and this has the effect of it being used willy nilly and in circumstances where it's not required. I'd love to see a tax on roundup which would double the price with the extra money used to fund independent research to dispelled the myths bandied about by the anti roundup movement. A price increase would regulate demand and thus limit unnecessary use.
BTW I never use roundup pre harvest pre harvest so I wouldnt be discomoded by an outright ban at all but I honestly believe that agreeing with any limitation of use would be in some way accepting that you are unsure if roundup is safe or not

I suppose I'm a bit off topic as it's insecticides my post is about but be prepared for some wobblies to be thrown about them. There was a report on the Six One news about studies done in Germany on the decrease in the number of insects over the past 30 years. Apparently there has been a 76% decrease.

I suppose I'm a bit off topic as it's insecticides my post is about but be prepared for some wobblies to be thrown about them. There was a report on the Six One news about studies done in Germany on the decrease in the number of insects over the past 30 years. Apparently there has been a 76% decrease.

Getting a lot of press here.

Back