Which Winter Wheat Variety for 2018?

Which WInter Wheat variety will you plant for 2018?

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Cellule (new)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Costello

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Conros (new limited availability)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JB Diego

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Lili

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lumos

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rockefeller

• Bennington

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Garrus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Locally I taught that the Rockefeller ended up no cleaner than the others really, I'll be interested to see what rating the dept give it on the recommend list. That is a serious yield difference to put down to septoria. Was it in a 3 spray well timed programme?
You would expect those yields in a high pressure untreated site
Yes it was in a high dose 3 spray programme, the 3 sprays would have been on the early side.
I am not sure Seportia was the only issue, but I do believe it was the main contributor.
I'm also not sure if the different varieties had much to do with it.

Yes it was in a high dose 3 spray programme, the 3 sprays would have been on the early side.
I am not sure Seportia was the only issue, but I do believe it was the main contributor.
Do you suspect the chems didn't work on the JB?

How early were the spray timings? Especially T2?

Feel free to tell me to F off, but I think it's crazy going that early especially with T2. Personally I'd prefer to be stretched to 25+ days than go early.
The Rockefeller would have been later and so the T2 would have even more badly timed, IYKWIM.
It was only a friend's wheat so not sure on all the details.

Had jb drilled early that wasn't far off 5 tonne, logic says it's should be fecked but it still does the business. It wasn't really far behind the allusive garrus. I'm no wiser after this harvest really. Lilli revelation Costello garrus jb all did pretty well as first wheats, lumos was respectable as a second wheat but didn't catch any nice seed so giving it up

Lumos did 5 t last year after
Had jb drilled early that wasn't far off 5 tonne, logic says it's should be fecked but it still does the business. It wasn't really far behind the allusive garrus. I'm no wiser after this harvest really. Lilli revelation Costello garrus jb all did pretty well as first wheats, lumos was respectable as a second wheat but didn't catch any nice seed so giving it up

Horses for courses! Here Lumos did 5T last year after beans and this year did 4.75T on wetter ground after OSR so I'm keeping it on.

That's interesting. I noticed more this year than ever before that spray timing for Septoria control was crucial (down here anyway). If you were any bit out in timing, you were dead.
I mentioned Cellule above. We brought in a bit for a few people. Not much as its still early days in terms of official trialing. I have tested it over two years in my own Septoria city trials.
Its a strange one....

It ripens about 7-10 days ahead of most other varieties on the market or in trials. For example, it will be flowering when other varieties are only booting. Therefore in trials, it will receive all its sprays at completely the wrong timings (except for the weed spray). Yet, it has beaten the controls in my trials (Avatar & Diego) two years running and has received a Septoria score of 7/9 when the control varieties are only 4 or 5 out of 9. It wont lodge easily, it appears to be even more resistant to sprouting than the market leader in sprouting - Costello. It is very good on Yellow Rust and also Fusarium. It will pick up a bit of Mildew but not serious.

In official trials, despite doing really well in my trials, it yielded 7% behind Avatar and Diego. This must be partly down to the fact that it will be very over ripe by the time it is harvested. It has a high KPH, its a milling type wheat.

Early days for the variety but it looks interesting from the point of view of something really robust that will get the wheat harvest started early. We have sold out the bit we brought in to the country and will be propagating a larger quantity for autumn 2018. I'd rather get another years trials under its belt before getting too bullish on it.

Been growing Cellule a few years now and very pleased. It's really robust and you could plant it in a bog or on rock...it would've been ideal for planting after December harvested beet, you know the 'soup' that we used to plough down in the headlands.
It's bred to be early to ear out and ripen to make the most of any remaining soil moisture. Excellent miller with 14+% protein easily achieved and good hags.

A friend grew it this year on 1 disease spray, no shortener and 50unitsN and got 10t/ha. (Wheat after maize that was after clover for 2yrs)

Last edited:
Been growing Cellule a few years now and very pleased. It's really robust and you could plant it in a bog or on rock...it would've been ideal for planting after December harvested beet, you know the 'soup' that we used to plough down in the headlands.
It's bred to be early to ear out and ripen to make the most of any remaining soil moisture. Excellent miller with 14+% protein easily achieved and good hags.

A friend grew it this year on 1 disease spray, no shortener and 50unitsN and got 10t/ha.

Cheers for that insight J. I like it too, maybe I'm not mad after all! :eek3:

Yep, she’s been in both my own trials and the first year of official trials. Good straw and tidy enough on disease.
Why do you ask?
Sounds promising. There is some of it available locally. Grew Lilli here last year and was happy with yield so might run with it again.

Started planting today.
240 seeds/sqm or 100kg/ha Cesario hss treated with gaucho.

Planting into absolute dust. It definitely won't chit without rain.

Back