Who has grain to cut still

• Thread starter John kverneland
  • Start date
Do you have an "anti-stone" bar on the head behind the cutting fingers? Its primarily meant for preventing small stones from entering the header but I find its a good help at keeping out clay too.
A length of 40mm angleiron works too:Thumbp2:

Do you have an "anti-stone" bar on the head behind the cutting fingers? Its primarily meant for preventing small stones from entering the header but I find its a good help at keeping out clay too.
Yea I have one. I have often seen stones sitting in it when you lift the head at the end of a run. I think maybe the clay was coming in on the plants as it was so bet into the ground

Yea I have one. I have often seen stones sitting in it when you lift the head at the end of a run. I think maybe the clay was coming in on the plants as it was so bet into the ground
I've found when cutting flattened stuff the whole plant comes in and the clay stuck to the roots are the culprits rather than a lump of actual clay. I had a nice bit on the concave and grain pan but fortunately the beans blew it all out of it

I've found when cutting flattened stuff the whole plant comes in and the clay stuck to the roots are the culprits rather than a lump of actual clay. I had a nice bit on the concave and grain pan but fortunately the beans blew it all out of it

Yea I reckon this is the problem. Will get it cleaned out again ready for next year and hope we don't get a harvest like it again

Yea I reckon this is the problem. Will get it cleaned out again ready for next year and hope we don't get a harvest like it again
Would it be any good swallowing up 2 or 3 round bales of straw in a week or 2 when the clay had dried a bit, that might shift it. Close drum well down and up the fan?

Would it be any good swallowing up 2 or 3 round bales of straw in a week or 2 when the clay had dried a bit, that might shift it. Close drum well down and up the fan?
Never taught of something like that. We already have her stripped down and concave out. 2 and 3rd drum may just be washed out I think with a power washer

Never taught of something like that. We already have her stripped down and concave out. 2 and 3rd drum may just be washed out I think with a power washer
It was just an idea, I've often threw waste oil on bales of straw before and lashed it up into the combine, straw is too scarce now tho!!! The beans have the machine spotless internally this year, about the only advantage of them.....

It was just an idea, I've often threw waste oil on bales of straw before and lashed it up into the combine, straw is too scarce now tho!!! The beans have the machine spotless internally this year, about the only advantage of them.....
Just get a oil sprayer and remove the panels and run combine slow and spray in

I spent some time today cleaning combine as unloading auger sheared the bolt last night , scraping soil off the augers not a great job but got it running again . I cut about 18 acres of fairly flat barley yesterday , I find it best to find the direction it will go best in to combine and just cut it one way , in this case it was across the tramlines and made a reasonable job of lifting most of the crop. Still got about 40 acres of wheat to cut which so far is standing well considering it should have been cut more than a month ago. Still a big amount of harvest still to get in this area and tatties will be a huge effort unless it dries up very soon , Lots of land wont carry machinery even with big wheels

I did the leaving cert in 1985 it rained all through the exams and all summer long. The wheat was black and very flat, the combine could only go one way through it. 1986 wasn't much better. Can't remember the price per ton for wheat back then but it was probably better than what we are getting today.
A local contractor had a farm rented a mmile from here in 1983 or 84. He bought a new MF 290 for £8000. He got 60 p per square bale , and I think £140 a ton for the barley. No SEP.

I was talking to the man who sows sprays cuts my barley today. We were looking at a restored MF 188. I said "you must have bought one of them new"?. I did . 2 actually. I started in 1973, borrowed £5000. Bought a new 188, New double chop and 2 trailers and an old 65 for that much money. The season went on for months . No one after you. 12/13 acres a day. Made a few Bob then.

A local contractor had a farm rented a mmile from here in 1983 or 84. He bought a new MF 290 for £8000. He got 60 p per square bale , and I think £140 a ton for the barley. No SEP.

I was talking to the man who sows sprays cuts my barley today. We were looking at a restored MF 188. I said "you must have bought one of them new"?. I did . 2 actually. I started in 1973, borrowed £5000. Bought a new 188, New double chop and 2 trailers and an old 65 for that much money. The season went on for months . No one after you. 12/13 acres a day. Made a few Bob then.
£5000 or the Euro equivalent wouldn't buy her now, she was a nice one. I never met the host with the most, I went looking for him but he was busy pressing the flesh with the local dignatories in the hospitality tent.

@Tippcon and @Peter were in the audience as well.

Finished cutting barley last night.
Our barley held up very well, yield and quality are very respectable for this area.
A few other bits we cut were not as good.
Just beans left now.
100ac of straw on the ground, what was cut recently will make with a run of the Wuffler, what's down a few weeks will have to be tedded out and raked, a few dry days should get it all sorted.

Driving around now looking to see where is dry enough to start ploughing.

Finished cutting barley last night.
Our barley held up very well, yield and quality are very respectable for this area.
A few other bits we cut were not as good.
Just beans left now.
100ac of straw on the ground, what was cut recently will make with a run of the Wuffler, what's down a few weeks will have to be tedded out and raked, a few dry days should get it all sorted.

Driving around now looking to see where is dry enough to start ploughing.
You won't see too well at this time of night, best leave it till tomorrow.

Got over the finish line last night around midnight. Really happy with beans averaged 3.2. Combine needs a lot of work done to her, all that spring barley high in moisture was really hard on the machine. I'd say most belts will need replacing to start with. Still ten acres of straw down.

Got over the finish line last night around midnight. Really happy with beans averaged 3.2. Combine needs a lot of work done to her, all that spring barley high in moisture was really hard on the machine. I'd say most belts will need replacing to start with. Still ten acres of straw down.

It must be a big relief. A long campaign.

Do you chop the.bean straw ? I was talking to an agronomist , who couldn't understand anybody baling it , and then selling for the baling cost. Very hard on a baler he thought. Plus removing the P and K from the ground would be worth that much money.
I had a lad onto me to buy sow @ €5 a bale. I didn't bother with it.

It must be a big relief. A long campaign.

Do you chop the.bean straw ? I was talking to an agronomist , who couldn't understand anybody baling it , and then selling for the baling cost. Very hard on a baler he thought. Plus removing the P and K from the ground would be worth that much money.
I had a lad onto me to buy sow @ €5 a bale. I didn't bother with it.
I baled mine-no chopper on the combine. 7 rounds per acre, I sold 30 of them for €12 delivered 6 miles, kept the rest. In a year where straw is scarce and a hell of a lot of stuff baled when it was not fit im glad to have 110 of them in the shed for my own use. They are a lot better than the 30 acres of barley straw which is still not baled and doesn't look like it this week.

Back