Wide angle Pto shaft

That half could fit mine alright, wonder if the max rating of 55 hp would be ok. If not a complete shaft won't do as the other end is not standard. Must check the blower end of mine to see if it's bolted to the gearbox, don't think it's on splines. The u guard is so closely fitted it's hard to see past the slip clutch on that end to see how it's fitted. Maybe my manual might tell me. Thanks again for the research, much appreciated. :thumbup::Thumbp2:

That half could fit mine alright, wonder if the max rating of 55 hp would be ok. If not a complete shaft won't do as the other end is not standard. Must check the blower end of mine to see if it's bolted to the gearbox, don't think it's on splines. The u guard is so closely fitted it's hard to see past the slip clutch on that end to see how it's fitted. Maybe my manual might tell me. Thanks again gpfor the research, much appreciated. :thumbup::Thumbp2:
Yours is probably rated to 55hp too on the size tube
Go see your tame sparex dealer see if they take it back if things are wrong:Thumbp2:

Not got much else to do at the mo:undecided:

Did anybody ever bolix up a PTO or UJs turning tight without a wide angle . I have heard them make noise but never seen any damage .
Yep on the old major tanker I had, was working on a side bank and hit a greasy patch and tanker slid sideways knackered the uj on it before I could get pto shut off

Forgot to turn off the pto after spreading a load and heading back to the yard once. Feckin saw doctors and n17 was on the wireless and I lost the run of meself altogether

At least you were not baling hay with that auld Welger....

It’s all about keeping the angles matched. That’s why anything on a pickup hitch rattled so quick as you get out of line.

The welger square baler gets away with a standard pto on it with it being towed on the drawbar and it’s a fair length of a shaft, but then you’d generally have a fairly sweeping corner with it or else try loop back to the left as it’s easier on it

I'm looking to replacing the standard PTO shaft on the straw blower with a wide angle end as I have a good few turns to do around the yard in between sheds and it's a pain having to keep switching the blower on and off constantly. I'd only be bedding while straight but the standard shaft would knock at any angle even when running at tickover. My standard shaft and guard are perfect, any ideas what it would cost to replace just the tractor end with a wide angle joint? Hardly any need to replace whole shaft...it's a lemon profile and max of 70HP of a load on it. Have done a bit of googling but haven't spotted anything similar.
Tullamore JF Centre will have something for you as jf harvesters have the lemon profile wide angle shaft and Alan might have a second hand one at reasonable prices .

Did anybody ever bolix up a PTO or UJs turning tight without a wide angle . I have heard them make noise but never seen any damage .

IMHO it's knocking for a reason !!!! Coz it's stressing the UJ,,, try en keeping rung straitght ish I I can, IE when on bed tilling lift up enough to clear ground, same with PH,
On the straw blower it's a mild turn then off a bit of ticking is ok but knocking mmmmmmm no no no,,

@MF30
Are you waiting on the flywheel to stop between each switch on?!?
No, it'll restart up regardless. I have four bends to take in between sheds and I can't take any bend without the pto rattling even a 20 degree bend it'd rattle. After bedding a shed I let the flywheel slow down before moving so bits of straw won't get sucked up and blown around the yard. After I turn off PTO and go around bend by the time I'm straight again the flywheel has nearly stopped and its a good wind to get it up going again.

Reactions: AYF
No, it'll restart up regardless. I have four bends to take in between sheds and I can't take any bend without the pto rattling even a 20 degree bend it'd rattle. After bedding a shed I let the flywheel slow down before moving so bits of straw won't get sucked up and blown around the yard. After I turn off PTO and go around bend by the time I'm straight again the flywheel has nearly stopped and its a good wind to get it up going again.

Are you not bothered that bits of straw will fall into the flywheel when you move sheds?

Straw would be all over the place wouldn't it?

Are you not bothered that bits of straw will fall into the flywheel when you move sheds?

Straw would be all over the place wouldn't it?
They usually don't as the spout is pointed into shed until flywheel slows down then I move off, rotor feeding straw to the flywheel would be stopped before I slow down flywheel so no more straw can enter blower chamber. But if I left flywheel at full speed (1800 engine rpms or more) even with rotor stopped some small bits of straw do get sucked in and end up going out the spout, it rarely happens at tickover or 1000 engine rpms.

They usually don't as the spout is pointed into shed until flywheel slows down then I move off, rotor feeding straw to the flywheel would be stopped before I slow down flywheel so no more straw can enter blower chamber. But if I left flywheel at full speed (1800 engine rpms or more) even with rotor stopped some small bits of straw do get sucked in and end up going out the spout, it rarely happens at tickover or 1000 engine rpms.

So your only going to save flicking her into gear? Unless your going to keep her at full rpm all the time and have straw being sucked into the chamber?

Mine has no rotor,straight into flywheel,really should sell it as I've not used it for 4 years.

So your only going to save flicking her into gear? Unless your going to keep her at full rpm all the time and have straw being sucked into the chamber?
My pto is engaged by using a pto clutch lever first, then put pto lever into gear, then release clutch lever carefully to engage flywheel. I'd normally drive at low engine speed from shed to shed so it's just the hassle of restarting after each corner, could just hold the clutch lever on while moving either but I'd be happier just leaving the flywheel running for the duration as it's kinder on pto clutch and the driveline in general as it's such a big wheel to revolve. I've been using it this way for a few years and it's not a critical problem, just I always like to find a more user and machine friendly way to do things. Just didn't expect a wide angle joint to be as pricey!

Reactions: AYF
My pto is engaged by using a pto clutch lever first, then put pto lever into gear, then release clutch lever carefully to engage flywheel. I'd normally drive at low engine speed from shed to shed so it's just the hassle of restarting after each corner, could just hold the clutch lever on while moving either but I'd be happier just leaving the flywheel running for the duration as it's kinder on pto clutch and the driveline in general as it's such a big wheel to revolve. I've been using it this way for a few years and it's not a critical problem, just I always like to find a more user and machine friendly way to do things. Just didn't expect a wide angle joint to be as pricey!
See what ur saying. Makes sense now.

Tullamore JF Centre will have something for you as jf harvesters have the lemon profile wide angle shaft and Alan might have a second hand one at reasonable prices .
Would that not be overkill as the shaft off a harvester would be rated for much more HP, 'course reading the above posts he could always get rid of the auld Leyland with it's hand clutch PTO....:oops2::ban:

Would that not be overkill as the shaft off a harvester would be rated for much more HP, 'course reading the above posts he could always get rid of the auld Leyland with it's hand clutch PTO....:oops2::ban:
The Leyland and the Lucas have developed a close relationship over the last few winters and I'd hate to seperate them, one fill of diesel should see most of the winter out...cheaper than a pitchfork handle any day!

Does that mean I could Be In trouble here with a straw spreader On a Tractor without independent PTO as I'd have a 20ft gap between two sheds and then another 40ft. I presume I'd Have to Have It Going full pelt initially to get It back 35-40ft? :undecided:

Does that mean I could Be In trouble here with a straw spreader On a Tractor without independent PTO as I'd have a 20ft gap between two sheds and then another 40ft. I presume I'd Have to Have It Going full pelt initially to get It back 35-40ft? :undecided:
It would depend on what type of straw spreader you're thinking of?? With the Lucas 40ft would take about 1800 engine rpm and if revved up to 2200 engine rpm it would go further than 50ft in calm conditions. Are you talking about shutting off the PTO between sheds or just idling it in between? Independent PTO wouldn't make any difference as I do my blowing from a stationery position every 50 feet along the feed passage.

It would depend on what type of straw spreader you're thinking of?? With the Lucas 40ft would take about 1800 engine rpm and if revved up to 2200 engine rpm it would go further than 50ft in calm conditions. Are you talking about shutting off the PTO between sheds or just idling it in between? Independent PTO wouldn't make any difference as I do my blowing from a stationery position every 50 feet along the feed passage.
Would it be a bare light scattering to 50ft or would you get a decent volume of straw out to 50? Had a jeantil in the yard one day blowing into an empty shed and the only bit that went past about 35ft was what happened to roll along the floor

Back