Wild bird cover choice for Glas.

Soissons

:clap:l'm planing to plant around 8acres of the best paying tillage crop :clap:and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a mix. I have heard that there is more of a problem with rats in oats rather than barley. What are the pros and cons of rape,linseed,mustard,triticale etc?

seems like good land, pity to put it there although it's a very profitable crop.
a lot of where ours is going wouldn't be fit for a plough, even after we remove the furze bushes!!!!
A bit of a waste alright, an older farmer happy to maximise his BPS and extensively graze a few cattle. Easy ploughing, if a bit hard so I'm not complaining.

A bit of a waste alright, an older farmer happy to maximise his BPS and extensively graze a few cattle. Easy ploughing, if a bit hard so I'm not complaining.

Isnt the whole thing just fcuking bananas.
That's looks to be as good a bit of ground as I've ever ploughed. Probably better than what most farmers are trying to work with.

I fully expect to see a food crisis in Europe in my lifetime. There is no respect or value placed on food until someday there won't be enough of it.

Last edited:
Isnt the whole thing just fcuking bananas.
That's looks to as good a bit of ground as I've ever ploughed. Probably better than what most farmers are trying to work with.

I fully expect to see a food crisis in Europe in my lifetime. There is no respect or value placed on food until someday there won't be enough of it.
Agree totally on the food shortage in our life time.
On a side note I've been totally disgusted every time I pass a couple of fields locally as he has gone and planted them. Only reason been he's seventy now and wants the steady income.
Damn good dry ground and fertile as well. Wouldn't rent it or sell it to anyone ( myself included).
A neighbour was there when the forestry man was there and he tried saying to him the land was to good for planting trees. Forestry man looked disgusted at the local telling him that their is no land too good for tree growing.

Do you have to sow the bird cover every year? Would it not come back itself?

seems like good land, pity to put it there although it's a very profitable crop.
a lot of where ours is going wouldn't be fit for a plough, even after we remove the furze bushes!!!!

Would the furze not be good bird cover.......:scratchhead:

If I did then this time next year I'd be a millionaire........:lol:

reminds me of a recent story a Limerick colleague told me. His neighbours daughter was doing a serious enough line with a farmers son down near Cashel. The Limerick parents went down for the Sunday dinner to meet the prospective inlaws.

While admiring the lovely farm in Cashel, the Limerick man asked if they had any Rushes around the area.
The Cashel man replied, "no, there's no one around here by that name".

Do you have to sow the bird cover every year? Would it not come back itself?

It depends on which option you go for.

You can resow it all each year or else every second strip of it each year.

The birds are meant to have all the grain etc eaten :rolleyes2:

I don't know how you'd plough it each year based on some of it that borders me.....

My 2016 crop is still sitting there and will be until I get paid for last year first. I'm thinking about broadcasting it into the standing burned off stubble and rolling it in and see what happens then.

My 2016 crop is still sitting there and will be until I get paid for last year first. I'm thinking about broadcasting it into the standing burned off stubble and rolling it in and see what happens then.

id imagine the birds will be happy, they mightn't have anything left for the winter (or an inspection) though!! We'll rotavate and sow in with a disc coulter drill and roll. The birds usually eat a lot of it when sown so id imagine they could wipe the cereal if it's broadcast?

there was an article in framing indo a while back about a farmer in carlow who planted the bird cover and it became infested with vermin

id imagine the birds will be happy, they mightn't have anything left for the winter (or an inspection) though!! We'll rotavate and sow in with a disc coulter drill and roll. The birds usually eat a lot of it when sown so id imagine they could wipe the cereal if it's broadcast?
It's for the birds tho....

On the vermin topic.......

If you have active cats is there any risk to them poisoning vermin?

My mother in law is a bit of a cat lady, some useless fireplace watchers but has two that are serious workers too, is there any risk to them?

Back