winter barley 2018

Well right or wrong I went out today on the brothers and mine. 4 bags Ac 10:10:20 on his and 2.5 of 18:6:12 and 2 of 0:7:30 on mine. The 0:7:30 went out last year on the pressed ploughing. It's something I think I might keep doing as the crop really seems to have responded well to it. Not one bit of muck anywhere today. I've never seen land in such fantastic order for traveling on.

Do many lads block extra tramlines (4 on each side) on the one pass to allow wider wheels for spraying and fertilizing throughout the yr ? Does it affect yield much ?

Do many lads block extra tramlines (4 on each side) on the one pass to allow wider wheels for spraying and fertilizing throughout the yr ? Does it affect yield much ?

On your 21m sprayer width, you’d be going from 162 rows of crop to 160 rows. That would be a 1.2% reduction in crop. Let’s say an average crop value per acre over the years of €645/ac (3.5tn at €150 and €120 for straw). The two less rows could cost you €7.74/acre. If your drill automatically reduced seed rate for the tramline runs then you’d save 1.2% in seed.

Of course wider tyres might save compaction and also allow you onto the land quicker which might give you some yield back.

Are my sums right? I didn’t do honours maths for the leaving!!!

On your 21m sprayer width, you’d be going from 162 rows of crop to 160 rows. That would be a 1.2% reduction in crop. Let’s say an average crop value per acre over the years of €645/ac (3.5tn at €150 and €120 for straw). The two less rows could cost you €7.74/acre. If your drill automatically reduced seed rate for the tramline runs then you’d save 1.2% in seed.

Of course wider tyres might save compaction and also allow you onto the land quicker which might give you some yield back.

Are my sums right? I didn’t do honours maths for the leaving!!!
I kind of expected higher numbers for the cost of running with wider tyres. If it's under a tenner an acre I wouldn't see any worthwhile reason to bother with the hassle not to mention hardship of changing to narrower wheels. Not having ruts for tramlines is a bonus imo to.

I kind of expected higher numbers for the cost of running with wider tyres. If it's under a tenner an acre I wouldn't see any worthwhile reason to bother with the hassle not to mention hardship of changing to narrower wheels. Not having ruts for tramlines is a bonus imo to.
It depends on the area. €10 per acre works itself into a fair lump for those with lots of hundreds of acres. Fine margins in this game.

Green grains would be my issue, could drive the moisture crazy

Green grains would be my issue, could drive the moisture crazy
Green grains can be a bit of a concern alright but for me with handy enough acres I can afford to be a bit pickier I suppose and wait for the moistures to drop before combining so the green lads get hidden in the load. In saying that I had very little trouble last year with green grains and i did everything except the last spraying with 650's.

I suppose there is also a possibility that the surrounding rows yield better with less competing plants around them offsetting some of the loss? Like John 15m here so will stick with row crops.

I suppose there is also a possibility that the surrounding rows yield better with less competing plants around them offsetting some of the loss? Like John 15m here so will stick with row crops.
True but you'll get an edge effect regardless of how many coulters you shut off.

No rowcrops here on 12m but then 12.4 are probably rowcrops to most on here :laugh:

If I went to a bigger spraying tractor in the morning, I'd be going with 13.6s for tramline work in the 12m system.

No rowcrops here on 12m but then 12.4 are probably rowcrops to most on here :laugh:

If I went to a bigger spraying tractor in the morning, I'd be going with 13.6s for tramline work in the 12m system.
Ah, 12m CTF, yes that’s all the rage in the uk now, great to you’re pioneering it here

Back