winter barley 2018

In a crop you'd be worried about keeping standing is there any advantage to going on again just as the awns are appearing with another shot of terpal?. Or any other shortener for that matter?.
I'll have awns in a week, sown the 3rd of November. If you did the terpal then no more can you do bar cerone at awns almost visible but I don't like cerone. I'll can have it and hope we get a good July

I'll have awns in a week, sown the 3rd of November. If you did the terpal then no more can you do bar cerone at awns almost visible but I don't like cerone. I'll can have it and hope we get a good July
Hmm I have used cerone in the past but I can't remember how well it worked. I've a field here that a week ago was barely welly height but has stretched out an unreal amount since and has gone fierce thick. I gave it 1.25 of terpal yesterday but I'm wondering if I hit it hard enough at all now.

Have cassia, infinity and carneval here, carneval looked the best crop in Feb and is in the best field, but is now a bit on the thin side, and by far the most advanced with a whopper of a head but don’t think it will yield as I think it’s just not thick enough as it didn’t tiller as much as the others, was chatting to another man about this and he has had the exact same happen with his. Anyone else see the same? @CORK is this a trait of carneval does it need different management to get it thick enough?

Have cassia, infinity and carneval here, carneval looked the best crop in Feb and is in the best field, but is now a bit on the thin side, and by far the most advanced with a whopper of a head but don’t think it will yield as I think it’s just not thick enough as it didn’t tiller as much as the others, was chatting to another man about this and he has had the exact same happen with his. Anyone else see the same? @CORK is this a trait of carneval does it need different management to get it thick enough?
Exactly the same. Didn’t seem to thicken at all but I’ve never seen anything like the head on it so maybe all will end well

I haven’t looked at the barley plots in a week or so.

Carneval heads out before the rest so maybe it reaches that stage when barley looks thin before the rest of the varieties?

I’ll look at the plots and report back.

@CORK is the pixel a very early variety?

Yes, it would be earlier than our regular 2 rows. It’s a French variety.

That said, I wouldn’t expect it to be any more than a week earlier when it comes to harvest.

Some of these 6 rows can head out early but then take their time filling.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 field same sowing date same treatment - multiple stages of growth!!
pictures don't really show it but it ranges from 6-8 inches with no sign of awns to fully shot out in sheltered areas!
Expectations are low.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    451.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 31
1 field same sowing date same treatment - multiple stages of growth!!
pictures don't really show it but it ranges from 6-8 inches with no sign of awns to fully shot out in sheltered areas!
Expectations are low.

Rabbits?

Back