winter barley 2018

Discussion in 'Tillage' started by kverneland es 80, Aug 31, 2017.

1. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

I only finally got started sowing this afternoon. Headlands not sown but only because I got bet for light and stopped the brother tilling. Luckily enough I decided to get all the ploughing done before any sowing this year which for once may have been the right thing to do. Ground tilled up a lot nicer then I was expecting but you wouldn't dream of going in with a roller. Getting it sown and the other crops are my main concern for now. Oct isn't looking like a settled month at all. It seems to be getting harder all the time to get work done with feckin weather :unsure:

CORK and Iggy like this.
  2. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

Seed just arrived today, unfortunately all the dressed Carneval was gone even though I'd ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Had to settle for Latitude dressed Tower instead but it did really well in a field I cut last year so I don't mind. The Latitude is probably more important than Redigo Deter against Take all so all I want now is weather. Land was ready since the weekend, hope I'll get it in as good condition as it was then. Nothing looking likely for a while now by the look of things.
    MF30

3. Mf240

Mf240 Well-Known Member

Ya it's fowl.

4. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Carneval only arriving today??? I’ll drop you a pm on this as it sounds well out of order to me.

5. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

Ah it's not a problem, it was only curiosity that I'd try it. The Tower I cut last year (not my own) was fabulous so I'd have tried it either. Not a fault of Goldcrop by the way, I'm not blaming anyone. In the grand scheme of things it's hardly noticeable.
    MF30

towbar and CORK like this.
  6. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Pm sent anyway. If a grower wants one of our readily available products then I would like that he receives it.

cormywormy likes this.
  7. Louis mc

Louis mc Well-Known Member

Ours arrived...

Attached Files:

8. Claas Grass

Claas Grass Well-Known Member

Winter Barley all sown and rolled here now, a couple of headlands will be getting sprayed tomorrow if the wind stays away for a few hours, Winter Wheat sown but not rolled, finished it this evening got the last 22acres ploughed and set on my own today, mist threatening to rain but it stayed out on the hills.

9. John kverneland

John kverneland Well-Known Member

All our seed is still in the stores, by the looks of the weather it will be staying there what would the cut off point be? Usually get it sown by now every other year

10. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

As mentioned, my ideal time if I had the choice when to sow barley or wheat down here would be last week of October/first week of November. Crop will be so much cleaner and easier to manage. Unless it’s very wet ground of course.
    I’ll sow away till the end of November happily although birds could be a pain then.

Sowed wheat at the end of November in 2009. Ground froze solid and it didn’t appear till February. Neighbors thought it was gone. Came up perfect after the thaw and did 5tn of Cordiale.

Big Vern, Louis mc, Oakley and 4 others like this.
  11. John kverneland

You would sow away barley till end of November? Ya I'd have no bother setting wheat at that time either.

12. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Absolutely unless it’s wet ground. Barley will benefit from less autumn growth just as wheat will.
    Less time in the ground pre Christmas means less virus pressure and less disease pressure including Take All.

John kverneland likes this.
  13. John kverneland

Cheers cork I was always under the impression that after Oct it was a no no

14. laoisfarmer

laoisfarmer Well-Known Member

Only started sowing yesterday evening, got 95 acres sown just as it started to rain at 6 this evening. Got 64 aces rolled. Hope to plough the headlands (around 16 acres)on that ground tomorrow and get it sown and we will go from there .

Iggy likes this.
  15. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Tillage Moderator

While it's not at all late yet I haven't an acre drilled. Forecast for next week is cat. I set barley in autumn of 12 around the 20th/25th of October in mediocre conditions, never again, crows and poor seedbed gave a very low plant stand and barley does not forgive you.

16. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

Got nothing done today. Ground was a bit tacky this morning and it was misty and miserable enough on and off all morning anyway so I went picking stones. Land was just coming up lovely around 4 this evening but the f'in rain got here first. Hoping tomorrow will come good and with a bit of a push I should finish my bit of wb. I can't see any of it getting rolled unless the weather takes up dramatically.

gone and John kverneland like this.
  17. kverneland es 80

kverneland es 80 Well-Known Member

Never stopped raining today .35 mm .cows in today so that's one of the tractors tied up for the rest of the yr with the feeder

diesel power and John kverneland like this.
  18. ithastopay

ithastopay Well-Known Member

Got 25ac sowed, conditions are tolerable.
    We have other land ploughed it will be drilled with the one pass whenever we get a chance.
    Cultivator drill and disc harrow are parked up and I doubt they will move until next year.
    It's tough going, but every acre done is one less for spring cropping.

jd-baz, nashmach, Iggy and 2 others like this.
  19. John kverneland

I'm thinking of putting the cattle in if this relentless weather doesn't give up

20. towbar

towbar Well-Known Member

Nothing sowed here, ploughed but half wish I hadn't ploughed as conditions were marginable. Need 1-2 good days drying to get back in.

21. Louis mc

This is not 2012, weather is shite but stuff is jumping out of the ground so sleep easy old buddy old pal

ithastopay and CORK like this.
  22. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Land isn’t damaged like 2012 either

Big Vern likes this.
  23. Louis mc

That was inferred in my broad "this is not 2012" statement but good to hammer home the point nonetheless :Thumbp2:

CORK likes this.
  24. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Yeah, a few dry days (if we get them) and we’ll be motoring again. No point mucking.

25. Tippcon

Tippcon Well-Known Member

A tractor and chain following the combine for every stroke of the field, and the combine on duals. Jesus the flashbacks.