winter barley 2018

A tractor and chain following the combine for every stroke of the field, and the combine on duals. Jesus the flashbacks.

Don't start, 7t loads out of fields and 100hp tractor struggling to pull it.

Ah the flashbacks :scared::cry::tdown:

There's a thread on here somewhere from that time, from memory most growers down south planted most of their winter cereals in 2012. Up this way it was 10%.

There's a thread on here somewhere from that time, from memory most growers down south planted most of their winter cereals in 2012. Up this way it was 10%.
At the moment it looks like we will be lucky to get 10% planted this autumn down here!

Nothing done down our way straw all over the place not baled and we have Ophelia on the way on Monday :no:

If the weather magically changed and we got good weather, there would be a lot of work done by the first week in November, if there was to be good weather for a further few weeks, I would be happy enough.
In reality it looks there is no settled spell coming, snatch and grab any day or bit of a day.
There's plenty of crops to be cut up here yet, some are a complete write off.
The joys of farming.

Last edited:
As of about 15 mins ago I have offically finished sowing the wb. Land dried out something else after dinner today and while there was no dust it was tilling up lovely. Few stones to pick and get the pre-em on whenever time and weather allows and thats it until next spring. Oats and a bit of wheat next.

Some serious ground after been planted around here in the past few days. Even a fair few spuds cleared and maize being cut. Very little to the South and East of here. Still some beans and plenty of straw to be baled around dont think that straw will be save-able.

As often remarked on here, it's amazing at times the difference across the country.

Gone is about an hours drive from here and was sowing away yet down here in south Wexford, it's so sticky and damp nothing has been done bar some ploughing. Even trying to get slurry and dung spread over the past week has been a messy enough affair.

As often remarked on here, it's amazing at times the difference across the country.

Gone is about an hours drive from here and was sowing away yet down here in south Wexford, it's so sticky and damp nothing has been done bar some ploughing. Even trying to get slurry and dung spread over the past week has been a messy enough affair.

We always escape well in a catchy time when others are getting light rain and drizzle we often avoid it all or at least most of it, but we do get hit badly with droughts and this year was no exception. Our yields were well back on other areas because of the dry weather in April, May and very early June.
Still makes for a much easier job to run a tillage farm in one of the driest areas in the country.

Tower sowed last night in the dark. Afraid to even look at the field today. Far from ideal conditions as had being ploughed a few weeks ago but had pressed it which helped. Had intended to sow at 12.5 stone but a mistake calibrating means I put on 14 or 217kg / ha!! Might be no bad thing based on conditions time will tell.

Got 50 acres Tower in yesterday and Tuesday. Had been sowing wheat up until this, waiting for better conditions. Some had been ploughed a fortnight which went in ok and the rest ploughed straight ahead on some of our kinder ground. 13.5 stone.
Have more Cassia to go in but it's looking fairly doubtful this evening.

I always sow winter barley at 14 st/ac, gotta feed the crows at least 1 stone, then 13 would be a comfortable rate...
It hasn't stopped raining or drizzling here in ten days, I wouldn't attempt to walk across a ploughed field here never mind be able to drill one! Ground is prepared for the drill alright but I find it hard to imagine dust in the field this side of Christmas by looking out the window tonight.
MF30

That's reassuring i did sow at 14 before but it was cassia with a low germination and it yielded very well. We had good drying Tuesday and Wednesday but 2 wet corners so most of it ok but just ok.

Tower sowed last night in the dark. Afraid to even look at the field today. Far from ideal conditions as had being ploughed a few weeks ago but had pressed it which helped. Had intended to sow at 12.5 stone but a mistake calibrating means I put on 14 or 217kg / ha!! Might be no bad thing based on conditions time will tell.
No harm there. I upped the rate I generally sow at this year as well to allow for conditions not been brilliant.

I walked our field today. Still just the bare stubble. Hasn't seen the plough but there is wet patchs in the field which nearly have water lying in them now. Getting hard to see it being dry but maybe it will. If I don't get to sow I might just put in spring oats or something else.

I was talking to a merchant that has €30000 worth of Deter dressed winter barley seed and if it is not used it will have to be dumped as the Deter will reduce the Germination . Very few going to sow Winter Barley in Dodgy weather .

I was talking to a merchant that has €30000 worth of Deter dressed winter barley seed and if it is not used it will have to be dumped as the Deter will reduce the Germination . Very few going to sow Winter Barley in Dodgy weather .

If they are going dumping it tell them to send me a bag, could use some to patch the lawn.

I knew lattitude reduced germination but did not know deter did it as well

So spring barley seed is up a 20 a ton

A friend was looking for Costello a few weeks ago and had to take small bags, he got a call on Wednesday any amount of it in big bags now. The world of winter seed not going to be sown.
I won't be able to sow the Oats in Kilkenny, but we were very lucky here got all the winter wheat and barley sown.

Back