Winter barley 2019

Early October sown carneval, after maize and slurry, sheltered site, never seen a crop so thick and forward, mildew and lodging would be my concerns. Plants with lots ofView attachment 61629 View attachment 61630 tillers, Suggestions welcome, everything is growing daffodils are forming buds.
I don't think there is a lot could or should be done till mid Feb, unless you have sheep to give it quick graze.

Early October sown carneval, after maize and slurry, sheltered site, never seen a crop so thick and forward, mildew and lodging would be my concerns. Plants with lots ofView attachment 61629 View attachment 61630 tillers, Suggestions welcome, everything is growing daffodils are forming buds.

Just sit back and enjoy the view!

A follow up aphicide would be advisable if you haven’t already done it.

Is there mildew present? Little bits here but nothing to worry about for now.

Just sit back and enjoy the view!

A follow up aphicide would be advisable if you haven’t already done it.

Is there mildew present? Little bits here but nothing to worry about for now.
No mildew visible, no aphicide just deter treated, you couldn't travel that field at the minute I'll make that call when I have the option.

Anyone have mildew problems, crop lovely and clean a week ago, went out this evening for a wander and crop is destroyed with it, cassia

Anyone have mildew problems, crop lovely and clean a week ago, went out this evening for a wander and crop is destroyed with it, cassia
Not personally as I don’t have cassia but I have seen it. Pretty bad in places, it was visible 6 weeks ago in it, September sown stuff that was very lush.

The wb in the above picture was spotless when I took that pic on Saturday. I haven't had the time to go and look at the other places the wb is growing. I had a great crop of cassia about 5 years ago ish and like that it got riddled with mildew. I was going to spray it as land was fit to travel at the time but the advice I was given at the time was leave it be. Sorry I did as the barley never recovered properly from it.

I got a shock today tbh, that it could have got so bad so quick, looks like the sprayer may come out of hibernation in d morning, anyone have any ideas where to get chemical on new years day

This weather is a disaster for thick crops. The only thing saving me is I was very late drilling mine. I can't help you with sourcing chemicals tomorrow. A day or 2 won't matter to much and you'll have the added benefit of the ground soaking out a bit more later in the week when the merchants are back open.

Ah I know a day or two won't matter but it's just the days have been so calm and dry that when it does break we are due a lot of bad weather. Ground up here in serious condition we haven't had much rain at all in December, drove a full ifor Williams of timber out of field today on renault trafic van!

Was spraying off stubble today with roundup and have the sprayer sterilised out for to spray the winter barley in the morning. It was due to be sprayed for the first time in the first week of December and the weather hasn't let me near it since then. It's just trafficable but I'll be going on it with half tanks and no extra weight to save the ground. Looks clean enough except a few weedy patches on headlands. At least it was protected with redigo and deter at the start. Nothing like having an important job on the first day of the year...

Oh sure I know what you mean, land is in super order for the time of year. This time last year you could hardly walk land. I must go for a walk about here and the rest of the places and see what way aphids are. Not tomorrow though, I've a gate to hang :laugh:.

Got out on the WB today for the first time, ground and spraying conditions were quite good. Went with Diflanil, Tower and Sumi alpha, that Tower is horrible stuff to wash off a sprayer. It's been a while since I've seen such a rank orange product going on cereals.
20190101_114745.jpg 20190101_104639.jpg

My Orwell is full of mildew now too. I'd say the antifreeze will have to come out of the sprayer this week.
Its mad but I think I'll have to go with the conditions and not the date.:scratchhead:

Got out on the WB today for the first time, ground and spraying conditions were quite good. Went with Diflanil, Tower and Sumi alpha, that Tower is horrible stuff to wash off a sprayer. It's been a while since I've seen such a rank orange product going on cereals.
View attachment 61890 View attachment 61891

The colour would be the Pendimethalin part of the spray (first developed as a dye!).
I find the orange is useful for spotting a blocked nozzle!

The colour would be the Pendimethalin part of the spray (first developed as a dye!).
I find the orange is useful for spotting a blocked nozzle!
It's a dye alright! When finished I rinsed the boom and sprayer three times to clear it out, then did it again with All clear extra to see would it move any more...it was pretty clean internally then. Even the filters were stained orange! I was contemplating buying a new sprayer this year but if sprays are going to be as stubborn as this I won't! Tried TFR through the power washer on the booms and it barely moved the orange.

Pdm is a mess. I got a new sprayer last year. I couldn't bring myself to use it yet- been using liberator.
Would Corbel be the simplest choice to knock back the mildew? -I know it can be a bit harsh.
Its forecast to get cooler up here this week, would frost sort the problem sufficiently, at least until a more normal early spray?
Being able to travel alone is an unusual luxury this time of year!

Back