Winter barley 2019

Got out on the WB today for the first time, ground and spraying conditions were quite good. Went with Diflanil, Tower and Sumi alpha, that Tower is horrible stuff to wash off a sprayer. It's been a while since I've seen such a rank orange product going on cereals.
View attachment 61890 View attachment 61891
That tower is some stuff to clean out of tank alright, would nearly buy an old sprayer just for it only

Pdm is a mess. I got a new sprayer last year. I couldn't bring myself to use it yet- been using liberator.
Would Corbel be the simplest choice to knock back the mildew? -I know it can be a bit harsh.
Its forecast to get cooler up here this week, would frost sort the problem sufficiently, at least until a more normal early spray?
Being able to travel alone is an unusual luxury this time of year!
Tough question to answer. It would want to be very bad to justify it in my opinion. Maybe 1/2 a litre of corbel and zinc and MN to help it. Any photos? March when it may really need it may come wet so maybe now is the change to at least quiten it down

Anything with disease, you'd be far better off grazing it with sheep. No point spending money on sprays. Think about your pockets lads

A few hard frosts would do a good job on the mildew, getting the frosts is the problem.
I sprayed Corbel in January a couple of years ago and it did it’s job, expensive though when all you’re getting is mildew control. Keep an eye on the disease and make a call whether to spray or not to spray.

I wouldn’t dream of putting livestock on my winter barley, not in a million years. The damage from trampling would be too much for my liking. Just my view and doctors differ.

Ah stop. Any time I’ve ever seen winter barley grazed with rabbits it always ended up all over the place growth stage wise and heaps of green grains come harvest, sheep may be similar I would think
The secret is big numbers for short time. Rabbits don't graze evenly across the field and continue for far longer than is good for the crop.

I'll get a photo tomorrow.
As usual there's plenty underneath the leaf. I'm just worried if the weather stays mild like this and then was unsettled at spraying time.
A fiver an acre might hold it. I'm getting a bit of spray tomorrow, it'll definitely be used at some stage!
The cassia parentage in Orwell is showing through...

I'll get a photo tomorrow.
As usual there's plenty underneath the leaf. I'm just worried if the weather stays mild like this and then was unsettled at spraying time.
A fiver an acre might hold it. I'm getting a bit of spray tomorrow, it'll definitely be used at some stage!
The cassia parentage in Orwell is showing through...

We tested Orwell in the south some years ago, it just didn’t compete in our climate. Mildew was an issue from memory.

Ah stop. Any time I’ve ever seen winter barley grazed with rabbits it always ended up all over the place growth stage wise and heaps of green grains come harvest, sheep may be similar I would think
Going to graze some advanced wheat next week, it was often done in the years before growth regulators and fungicides, no big deal really. Between the grazier clever fencing and my clever establishment system poaching and damage will be all but impossible

Back