Winter barley 2019

Was out with fungicide this evening. Crops are just picking up here again.
I've skipped the pgr this time until it warms up.
It'll be an extra pass but the last one checked things a bit - no point making the same mistake twice

Fungicide and PGR (will I regret it?) Went out today. Held back slightly on the rate and very modest day/ night temp differences so said I'd chance it. Bit of colour coming into the crop since the nights have gotten milder. View attachment 64780
What mix did you go with? I’m thinking Terpel instead of Medax Max as I don’t think it’s as hard on crops.

Fungicide and PGR (will I regret it?) Went out today. Held back slightly on the rate and very modest day/ night temp differences so said I'd chance it. Bit of colour coming into the crop since the nights have gotten milder. View attachment 64780

I did the same I got the last of the nitro out before rain and it's really thriving now.. milder sunny weather it Will soak up huge amounts of nitrogen..

What rates of each and at what crop stage?
Terpal went on at 1.5 and Medax went on at 3/4 of the max rate. GS 37 I think I'm correct in saying. It was as clear as day where the two different treatments went on. I've used Medax Max in the past and had badly lodged barley. I won't be using it again anyway. Last year satisified my curiosity once and for all with it.

Terpal went on at 1.5 and Medax went on at 3/4 of the max rate. GS 37 I think I'm correct in saying. It was as clear as day where the two different treatments went on. I've used Medax Max in the past and had badly lodged barley. I won't be using it again anyway. Last year satisified my curiosity once and for all with it.
You must be the only man in the country to lodge barley in a drought!!!!!
Terpal at that stage is a super product, I’ve no experience of medax max that late.

Terpal at that stage is a super product, I’ve no experience of medax max that late.
I managed it alright. The terpal sprayed stuff got shook but mostly stayed off the ground but the Medax stuff went down like a carpet. I've used it earlier at GS 31 as well and was equally disappointed with it.

Actually managed to do he same here too.
Early sown, thick, and dung that i didn't properly account for are my excuses. All it takes is a few hours drizzle with wind.

If a crop is very advanced at gs31 and N analysis shows uptake of 150 4 to 5 on the richter scale would a lad hold back on fert and give full pgr program?? :scratchhead:

How do you mean by an N uptake analysis? Have you tested for N in the plant - I’ve never come across someone doing this.

I swear by Terpal too.

My normal pgr approach for winter barley is some ccc (1.8 L/Ha) at late tillering to even out the tillers and then 1 1.5L of Terpal when the flag leaf is visible but still rolled up.
The early pgr evens the crop and the later pgr shortens it and helps on brackling.
Both are cheap too but like all pgr’s proceed with caution if weather conditions are tricky.

I swear by Terpal too.

My normal pgr approach for winter barley is some ccc (1.8 L/Ha) at late tillering to even out the tillers and then 1 1.5L of Terpal when the flag leaf is visible but still rolled up.
The early pgr evens the crop and the later pgr shortens it and helps on brackling.
Both are cheap too but like all pgr’s proceed with caution if weather conditions are tricky.

How long after spraying will symptoms of scorch show up?

Not exactly spraying weather today but what are lads thinking in relation to fungicide on WB? Mine will probably get it’s second run towards the end of the week. Am thinking of Splice, Terpal and maybe Bravo. Am in two minds about the Bravo bit as usually I wait till the final spray to put any in.

Not exactly spraying weather today but what are lads thinking in relation to fungicide on WB? Mine will probably get it’s second run towards the end of the week. Am thinking of Splice, Terpal and maybe Bravo. Am in two minds about the Bravo bit as usually I wait till the final spray to put any in.

I’d certainly include Bravo. Lots of Ramularia around. It’s great value for what it does.

Putting the final N on the winter barley today, would have liked to get it out before the rain last week but there's plenty of dew and moisture in the butt. Will be putting on a spray in the next few days while temperatures are high and wind is calm.
20190419_103554.jpg

Back