Winter barley 2019

Were getting on top of it , had two drills going Saturday and today so got a lot in . Only started sowing Friday ,Ground conditions are lovely , about 60 acres to go tomorrow with half of that being headlands !!! There is another 45 acres but we won’t go near it until after the weekend and then wheat and finish on oats.

View attachment 58953 Finished our Barley here today, been tipping away at it the last week, the father was getting anxious so I drafted in a second plough to speed things up, 5f KV on 28 boards with trash boards and mid mounted wheel is now on the wish list

Do you have any pictures of the mid mounted wheel. What you think of it? Is it just a depth wheel or a combi wheel to?

Do you have any pictures of the mid mounted wheel. What you think of it? Is it just a depth wheel or a combi wheel to?
It’s a combi wheel, don’t really have any other pic only this one I zoomed in on, super job it was always a flaw I found with KV ploughs, in out of the way on headlands, the stoppers are crap though think I’ll be doing a bit of a modification to them, too easily broken. Sorry @Danielk the photo wouldn’t upload, here’s a link http://www.mcgintytractors.com/new-machinery/kverneland/es-85-reversable-plough-297

Last edited:
Nice work, dualled up and taking his time.

Do you want to call away down here when he’s finished? Stone pickers are rare!!!

Only if you come up here and get the oats in.. I hope you know that stone picking rates are high and Sunday's are double time....

Is that a 110-90? She seems well able to handle the one pass. Doing a lovely job....is that ground harrowed or is it straight onto ploughed ground?

It is yes. Straight in on the ploughing and taking his time. We both thought that discing it would make it too fine.

@nashmach
How much sowing is that outfit doing?
Our first combination unit landed here about 20years ago, 3m kverneland power harrow and an accord drill.
The 110-90 was under pressure trying to handle it, with the drill full gears were sometimes hard found, it was traded for a valmet.
We always thought our 100-90 a better performer than the 110-90.

Back to barley, lots of work going up this way and further east, some are finished or very close to it, it's got very cold over the past few days, temperature is dropping and growth has slowed down.

About 100 acres now I'd say. All spring crops till this year. Did 2 acres/hr yesterday but I think he goes a gear faster usually. It has the double assistor rams which are essential for this job. The hopper only takes around 250kgs either.

There's a lot of sowing done around here too in the past week. There's going to be a huge swing from SB in this area. Could easily be 15-20% down between grass, WB and once sown in a few weeks WO.

It's great to see that peer pressure made Cork and Blackwater Boy get the ploughs out :laugh:
The neighbours started ringing to see why I hadn’t anything done, they were wondering did I know something that they didint about the weather and spring barley yields and price of same next harvest. I smiled as I could see the fog of aphids colonisting their barley at the far end of the Parrish.....

It's great to see that peer pressure made Cork and Blackwater Boy get the ploughs out :laugh:

Neighbors were ringing me too with offers of diesel and wearing parts as they thought I was in bother.

I was actually thinking of direct drilling the whole lot so they’d think I had nothing done.

To be honest, I’m a bit preoccupied with the upcoming budget, there’s muttering amongst the Tillage community that they’re going to slap a new tax on yachts over 80ft in length.

The neighbours started ringing to see why I hadn’t anything done, they were wondering did I know something that they didint about the weather and spring barley yields and price of same next harvest. I smiled as I could see the fog of aphids colonisting their barley at the far end of the Parrish.....

Stick up a picture of an aphid, we don't know what they look like around these parts. St Patrick banished them from Meath and surrounding counties.

Got 22 acres of Cassia down today. Soil is in superb condition for working but that won't be long changing judging by tonights forecast. I could have done with it staying fine until the weekend to get the rest of my wb in but thats the way it goes I suppose. Hopefully there'll be a chance got again in the near future.

Holy moly. There’s a message in that somewhere
:Thumbp2:
In a dry time DD is king, now if you figure out a way to reduce the need for Glypho and a good spray program for controlling grass weeds in Winter Barley, I am all ears.
All joking aside, interested in seeing how @Bog Man and @Ugo Schtiglitz go with winter barley. I'm just not brave enough yet.
Sometimes with stuff like this if you have to have it explained to you then you’ll probably never understand it
Well maybe not all joking aside.

Back