Winter Oats

Continuous barley for 5 years previous John. First 1 in sb and the last 4 in wb. It was blackened with well rotted down fym pre ploughing last autumn.

100 units max, you’ll need two runs of PGR, the first run being pretty soon. Second run at GS32.

If we could have a Wheat variety that used N as efficiently as Oats we would be going somewhere. A few years ago we ended up with Oats six foot tall when the CCC was delayed. Good weather followed and the chopper was under pressure.

I am now an advocate of delaying the N on Oats, reducing the N on Oats, (90 units is max after FYM) and I find one well timed dose of CeCeCe @ GS32 gives me best results.
I've 30 units N on it so far. I think maybe I'll go to 90 and no more. Never grew oats before so I'm on a learning curve here. When would you go with the rest of the N?.

I've 30 units N on it so far. I think maybe I'll go to 90 and no more. Never grew oats before so I'm on a learning curve here. When would you go with the rest of the N?.
Last week. I forgot I took these pictures. What N would I want to go to on it?. Thinking 100 units or would I be pushing my luck?. View attachment 53143 View attachment 53144
How long was the 30 units out when the pics were taken?
I would go another 30 units at GS31 and the last 30 units at GS33.
What variety?

Quick question lads. Can take all affect oats?. The reason I ask is one field last year that had wb in it and one section in particular was almost wiped out. I see the oats in the same section are very poor. It's only a small area but I'm curious all the same.

Quick question lads. Can take all affect oats?. The reason I ask is one field last year that had wb in it and one section in particular was almost wiped out. I see the oats in the same section are very poor. It's only a small area but I'm curious all the same.
Oats can get takeall, but it is a different form of takeall to the takeall that affects barley or wheat. It is much more likely that it is something else, maybe trace elements?

Would you have any pics of it?

Oats can get takeall, but it is a different form of takeall to the takeall that affects barley or wheat. It is much more likely that it is something else, maybe trace elements?
I had it tested for trace elements and it came back good. It's just thin and a bit stunted in the same spot as the barley last year.

Few pictures of the affected area20180422_134429.jpg 20180422_134517.jpgthis is about 10 yards away and the crop is doing well. I was just curious if last year's take all had affected the oats as well as I intend to put ww in this land later this year.20180422_134453.jpg

Attachments

• 20180422_134423.jpg
    20180422_134423.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 3
Back