Winter Oats

Anyone see any heat effects on WO? Have plenty of empty spikelets and that redness coming on the leaves. Happened over the last week in what was a decent crop. Might be grand if it gets some rain. Just looks stressed looking. It is fully headed and had Jenton and Mn a few weeks ago.
I'm not expecting much from winter oats this year, particularly in this area. I've often heard it said "oats prefer a dropping year" and I'm inclined to agree. It's been too warm and dry for oats over the last few weeks and the majority of crops I have walked are suffering. At home, we planted most of our oats on light land and while they loved the wet winter and spring they are really suffering now. Even if they do get rain over the next few days, much of the damage is done. I'll put up a few pics after.

Is the redness the same as keros pics up the page?
Not really, more big red patches on leaves that were exposed to the sun, kind of similar to the redness you see on oat plants that are struggling on a wet/poor/compacted headland. I'll get a few pics tomorrow. I'm putting it down to the heat as it was textbook until the hot weather. It was sown in November in tough conditions. Maybe it never had a need to root deeply and now is running out of steam literally.

The 7th May sown oats are working away despite the heat.

Spotlessly clean.

They look nice although I’m expecting yield to be well back due to such a short growing season.

22F77235-026F-4C3E-91DC-B60140521AFB.jpeg

This week has been hard on the winter oats in the light land at home and the colour has changed a lot in the past day or two. The other block which is in heavier wetter land and was “mauled” in is lovely and green and looks promising, if it does well I will forget the deep tram lines !!!!

Isabel oat seed crop in the Waterford coast on Monday.

Showing no drought stress as yet. I could be wrong but it looks like one of the best oats crops I’ve seen in my life.
The ears look to have great length to them and grain looks big.
Not a single trace of disease since it was sown last November.
Sown after long term grass, index 3 for P & K. 120 units of N....stiff out.

Fingers crossed.

0AA7F19E-8A6C-4F18-B082-2FD14AB1F5DB.jpeg

Neighbour has WO beside us, early November sown. Never saw a crop go from green to white as quick over Saturday and Sunday, lost the will to live it seemed

Isabel oat seed crop in the Waterford coast on Monday.

Showing no drought stress as yet. I could be wrong but it looks like one of the best oats crops I’ve seen in my life.
The ears look to have great length to them and grain looks big.
Not a single trace of disease since it was sown last November.
Sown after long term grass, index 3 for P & K. 120 units of N....stiff out.

Fingers crossed.

View attachment 56112
That has terrific colour. Mine has went from green to ripe near on 3 weeks ago. I'd say with the forecast it'll be cut the end of next week

How are oats going lads? Few have made a start around here, straw is green (and pink!!), moisture 15-18% and yields somewhere around 3.5 to 3.7t/ac.

2.5T will cut a lot of the crops here on light land. Oats, sand and heat are not a productive combination.
Cutting our few acres during the week hopefully. It's on a sandbank, if it does 2 ton we'll be happy. Only consolation is if it had been spring stuff it probably wouldn't be there at all at this stage

Cutting our few acres during the week hopefully. It's on a sandbank, if it does 2 ton we'll be happy. Only consolation is if it had been spring stuff it probably wouldn't be there at all at this stage
I've seen some super crops of oats yield 3.5T + on sandy ground over the last few years with work. We took a gamble this year and put in 25ac of Barra in a very sandy field on the banks of the barrow. It looked super until mid May when the gamble backfired. 54kph but it won't yield. Hopefully the rest yields better.

Have the figures in for the oats. 3 tonnes an acre at 17% moisture and 11 bales. Happy enough with it. One thing that stuck out was where the wb was decimated last year with take all the oats was by far the best. Headlands were middling to poor in all fields which I think is probably down to land been less then ideal when the crops were sown and machinery compaction even with small light duelled up tractors.

Have the figures in for the oats. 3 tonnes an acre at 17% moisture and 11 bales. Happy enough with it. One thing that stuck out was where the wb was decimated last year with take all the oats was by far the best. Headlands were middling to poor in all fields which I think is probably down to land been less then ideal when the crops were sown and machinery compaction even with small light duelled up tractors.
Good yield for the year that's in it. Oats appear to be averaging around 2.7 here. Remember a similar occurrence in 2014. Areas where the 2013 wheat crop was thin and poor due to slug grazing in the famous autumn of 2012 had super winter barley in 2014. A welcome delayed payback. Presume it's a build up of nutrients.

First field did 2.8 , it was keely . Next field which is a new variety called Isabelle ( @CORK favorite variety) did 2.66 with a kph of 58!! @ 14% . Baled up at 9 4x4 to the acre .Both were on lighter land and burnt in quick. The last block of keely was finished today , straw is a lot greener and heavier but grain was ripe , the way oats normally is . an artic load went out today and it is 54.5 kph @16% moisture. 3 or 4 more article loads to go so won’t know until Monday how it faired out but I’m hoping for over 3 ton

Back