Winter Oats

Did you cut this yet @CORK ?

No, wasn’t ready a week ago. They next dry period will see it cut I’d say.
Amazing the way it was holding on.

120 units of N after long term grazing grass could be part of the reason......

Reactions: KJL
No, wasn’t ready a week ago. They next dry period will see it cut I’d say.
Amazing the way it was holding on.

120 units of N after long term grazing grass could be part of the reason......
If Oats stayed standing after that it says a lot for the variety

If Oats stayed standing after that it says a lot for the variety

I just double checked and it was 120 units in two splits. V good ground, Index 3 for P & K. Lime fine.
I find winter oats so much easier to manage from a PGR point of view, just more time to do it.
This received two applications of PGR.

It’ll be interesting to see how it yields. It’s near Dungarvan.

@laoisfarmer ‘s crop has impressed on the weighbidge in Goldcrop. I haven’t seen it yet but the manager is a crop man who processes a lot of oat seed including a lot of Barra. He rang me straight away and went as far to say that it looked better than Barra which is saying something....

Isabel is a large seed size oat so should have much lower screening losses.
We frequently lose 12-15% of oat seed in the form of screenings when processing seed.

I just double checked and it was 120 units in two splits. V good ground, Index 3 for P & K. Lime fine.
I find winter oats so much easier to manage from a PGR point of view, just more time to do it.
This received two applications of PGR.

It’ll be interesting to see how it yields. It’s near Dungarvan.

@laoisfarmer ‘s crop has impressed on the weighbidge in Goldcrop. I haven’t seen it yet but the manager is a crop man who processes a lot of oat seed including a lot of Barra. He rang me straight away and went as far to say that it looked better than Barra which is saying something....

Isabel is a large seed size oat so should have much lower screening losses.
We frequently lose 12-15% of oat seed in the form of screenings when processing seed.
i think the screenings were 1 on the Isabelle and 1.09 on the keely . Both grains actually look well but the Isabelle has an nicer feel in your hand !!

any price in the market for oats?

I assume merchants are not pricing anything and hoping world price will ease back by the time it comes to payment, Seems a rather odd agreement that grains are not sold at todays prices. what I hear talked about price wise are not in line with international markets. It makes a change from a month ago when the local markets was much more bullish relatively to the international markets, the opposite has now happened and do merchants think sellers arent able to understand international grain

any price in the market for oats?

I assume merchants are not pricing anything and hoping world price will ease back by the time it comes to payment, Seems a rather odd agreement that grains are not sold at todays prices. what I hear talked about price wise are not in line with international markets. It makes a change from a month ago when the local markets was much more bullish relatively to the international markets, the opposite has now happened and do merchants think sellers arent able to understand international grain

Oats would usually trade around the same price as barley, there could be 20000t less oats produced here this year over last year.
Given that we export oats, good oats could trade higher than barley this year.

I don't understand what your saying about the markets, is the price rising or falling in your opinion?
Is it time to buy cattle and make money feeding expensive meal.

Back