Winter Oilseed Rape Tips

My OSR is at about mid flowering. What rate of
Proline would you suggest and would a dose of Combitop be of any benefit?

An old jd 955. Would I be mad to consider cutting without the knife? Am inclined to chance it and see what happens.
Keep your eye out on DoneDeal for a cheap knife as harvest approaches. I bought an electric one for our last combine for €250. Took some modification but did the job grand.

I bought it in 2009, super job. It was a gift for the flattened rape in 2012 as you can get right down. The knife in the deutz is very close to the auger so it’s not great. @laoisfarmer ought one last year for his deutz. Once you have 1 you won’t go back but I’ve no rape this year so it’s blocking a gap which is handy so it has many uses....
Had a side knife on last year and it kind of worked , plenty of reversing and f#cking done , picked up an immaculate hardly used rape extension for the deutz header for very small money last November but haven’t even got around to see does it fit ....

Considering not spraying at all, will the sun do the work for us. Left a tramline unsprayed last year, at harvest was .5% moisture higher is all and stems greener but that does not matter.

Considering not spraying at all, will the sun do the work for us. Left a tramline unsprayed last year, at harvest was .5% moisture higher is all and stems greener but that does not matter.
Did you go in with a pod sealer either? Considering not spraying myself either.....

I was planning to spray off rape in the next day or two. Is it necessary in this drought or would I be better to let it come in on its own ? How effective is roundup on the weeds at the base of the crop at this stage or would post harvest roundup be more effective? The lads at Goldcrop seem to think that a pod sticker is a waste of money as pod shedding has been bred out to a large degree. Thanks in advance.

I was planning to spray off rape in the next day or two. Is it necessary in this drought or would I be better to let it come in on its own ? How effective is roundup on the weeds at the base of the crop at this stage or would post harvest roundup be more effective? The lads at Goldcrop seem to think that a pod sticker is a waste of money as pod shedding has been bred out to a large degree. Thanks in advance.

I’d spray off the crop unless it is exceptionally even. The roundup will usually kill everything even at the base of the crop. I’ve yet to see anything survive. 200 litres/Ha minimum of water helps for penetration and coverage.

This lad doesn’t completely consider podstik a waste of money, I’m surprised anyone said that to be honest.
Now, I’m not sure how much it does but I know it does have an effect and I do know that I’d apply it to my own crop!!

This lad doesn’t completely consider podstik a waste of money, I’m surprised anyone said that to be honest.
Now, I’m not sure how much it does but I know it does have an effect and I do know that I’d apply it to my own crop!![/QUOTE]

The lad in question was BM. Maybe the heat was affecting my hearing!

When testing rape seed moisture in your hand, I would imagine that it’s like barley and you shouldn’t be able to crack the seed?? Should plant be brown from top to bottom?? First time grower obviously!!!

Back