Winter Wheat 2019

High soil temperatures after summer 2018, earlyish sowing and a very wet early winter which hampered rooting depth all contributing to Take All in many wheat fields.

It’s popping up in first wheats anywhere rooting has been compromised due to compaction or wet.

No doubt it was in winter barley too but less noticeable as the crop ripened in before obvious symptoms showed.

This crop is first wheat after maize.

D4A16587-CCA3-4220-9ACC-C29ECEE2987B.jpeg 69ABC7DF-68EF-4AEB-A11E-B1B77D3B6408.jpeg 1C1A689F-7610-46E4-A692-6B3C2629ECDE.jpeg 180CFE1C-9BAC-429D-8A00-0E5CDD5EC3D4.jpeg

You forgot to mention loose seedbed. The late Stan Brophy used flat roll second wheats in late April. One of the neighbors went into the field to stop the driver because he thought it was a mistake.

Yes, you’re correct. Take All likes air in the seedbed.

Also anything that limits root growth (low P etc) will allow Take All to have a bigger effect on the crop.

High soil temperatures after summer 2018, earlyish sowing and a very wet early winter which hampered rooting depth all contributing to Take All in many wheat fields.

It’s popping up in first wheats anywhere rooting has been compromised due to compaction or wet.

No doubt it was in winter barley too but less noticeable as the crop ripened in before obvious symptoms showed.

This crop is first wheat after maize.

View attachment 68027 View attachment 68028 View attachment 68029 View attachment 68030
Have some showing up in wheat after Maize, none showing in wheat after Maize which had grazed cover crop ahead of the maize,
None showing yet in the wheat that followed beans or wosr.
Is it a case that the maize is not as good a break??

copper deficiency is ment to be one of the main causes, i wonder if putting copper sulfate down at sowing would solve the problem?

Have some showing up in wheat after Maize, none showing in wheat after Maize which had grazed cover crop ahead of the maize,
None showing yet in the wheat that followed beans or wosr.
Is it a case that the maize is not as good a break??

This is a complicated one to answer. In the past I’ve seen Take All after most break crops.

I would have always rated beet and WOSR as the best breaks followed by maize & oats, followed by grass.

That said, I’ve seen great crops of wheat after all of these breaks.
Maize ground can be damaged from reckless slurry dumping and dragging trailers out over multiple years, on the other hand it can be very fertile from high nutrient input.

Take All this year in first wheats seems to follow a pattern linked to wet or compacted areas, I think this gives us a message.

This is a complicated one to answer. In the past I’ve seen Take All after most break crops.

I would have always rated beet and WOSR as the best breaks followed by maize & oats, followed by grass.

Maize ground can be damaged from reckless slurry dumping and dragging trailers out over multiple years, on the other hand it can be very fertile from high nutrient input.

Take All this year in first wheats seems to follow a pattern linked to wet or compacted areas, I think this gives us a message.
Some of this same said wheat is 4th crop after ley, in the same field part of it is long term tillage and has no take all
I've seen this before in second cereal winter barley- no take all in long term tillage and right next to it severe take all in fresh ground
Maybe something to do with lack of take all decline

I’d rate oats to be a better break crop than sbeet and maize with regard Take All. In my experience sbeet and maize will always show levels of infection whereas osr, oats etc it’s rare to see patches of TA.

Started some second crop Cellule wheat yesterday. Moisture was in stupid territory so cut one field and stopped. Pity as it was a smashing day.
I think there was a great flow of grain out of it but haven’t got the weights yet.

0FE31634-331A-4003-8585-231BE6D11625.jpeg E052BD18-17BC-40E0-89B1-40172A39844F.jpeg

Started some second crop Cellule wheat yesterday. Moisture was in stupid territory so cut one field and stopped. Pity as it was a smashing day.
I think there was a great flow of grain out of it but haven’t got the weights yet.

View attachment 68523 View attachment 68524

I don’t know the exact moisture, about 25% I’d say. This crop came in at 4.7tn, not too bad for a second crop wheat in a Take All year.

Is that for crimping ?

:lol: No....

The decision to cut wasn’t made lightly.

It was based on the fact that sadly, I think there’s quite a strong likelihood that we may not have much if any harvesting weather before the 20th August...... I hope I’m wrong.
The cost of the moisture penalty becomes quite insignificant when compared to the weight loss that would occur in that period.

@CORK In a wet Summer the Azores high pressure sits in the Atlantic and the jetstream goes over it brining in low pressure systems giving us the constant wet weather. This year the Azores high pressure keeps trying to come north, I think our Summer is far from over.

@CORK In a wet Summer the Azores high pressure sits in the Atlantic and the jetstream goes over it brining in low pressure systems giving us the constant wet weather. This year the Azores high pressure keeps trying to come north, I think our Summer is far from over.

I see it differently, in a wet summer the jet stream runs further south than normal- giving us a conveyor belt of low pressures (like in 2012). Some meteorologists think the presence of high pressure at the North Pole causes the jet stream to be pushed further south.

I agree that the summer isn’t over, some models point towards a build of the Azores high from the south again , but not till late August.

Do you reckon cellule will ever be heard of again?

Cellule has lots of great attributes (fantastic grain quality, mega resistance to sprouting, excellent straw strenght). It’s main strenght was Septoria resistance that was miles ahead of anything else.

This extra Septoria resistance is based on one gene (STB16). My current thinking is that Septoria has adapted and overcome this gene. I’ve seen untreated plots which are much dirtier than they would have been a year or two ago. Teagasc are testing to see if the above is true, I should know in August.
That said, the variety has behaved ok in many cases where sprayed but I still think it should be cleaner in these cases.
So, all said I think it’s race is run. It’s also weak on mildew, this would be someway acceptable if it was very strong on Septoria. The loss of corbel doesn’t help mildew control either.

A pity really as Cellule was quite special I felt. I really like these high grain quality wheats. In west cork at the moment and it’s 16-17 deg and pouring rain with hours, just the type of weather that would sprout wheat.

Looking through my trial plots, I definitely see cleaner varieties coming down the line. Some of these have multiple Septoria genes at work.

On another subject, yellow rust would have to be seen as very high risk for next season as the level of inoculum around us is now very high. I certainly would avoid sowing a variety weak on YR this autumn as to do so is just bringing unnecessary risk and cost to the wheat crop.

Did a hand sample on cellule wheat today and it was 24, combine might make an appearance in the field tomorrow if the stays a dry night and a good morning tomorrow

Back