Winter Wheat 2019

Any concerns re heavy metals etc in sludge.
This depends on location and is one of the reason a lot of food-grade crops prohibit the application of Municipal sludge. For example, if you are in an area where soil is inherently high in Cadmium (eg. Kildare, Meath), applying sludge can increase the cadmium content of the end product (grain, tubers) to levels beyond the maximum limit set by the European Food Standards Authority. Mind blowing stuff realy :unsure:

Last of the ploughing for this autumn, triticale rather than wheat for whole crop. Last pic is some contract sowing I had to do last week, not the easiest to get a good finish....

Attachments

• DSC_0331.JPG
    DSC_0331.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0329.JPG
    DSC_0329.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0327.JPG
    DSC_0327.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 96
Last of the ploughing for this autumn, triticale rather than wheat for whole crop. Last pic is some contract sowing I had to do last week, not the easiest to get a good finish....

Nice job. That's a fair lump of a plough for a 4 cylinder. How does she handle it?

Winter Wheat area must be way up, I'm hearing seed is very tight :undecided:

Not what I’m hearing.

I’d say wheat will struggle to match last years area, it might just do it. Still plenty seed around.

Winter barley and oats are well up though.

Not what I’m hearing.

I’d say wheat will struggle to match last years area, it might just do it. Still plenty seed around.

Winter barley and oats are well up though.

It might have been a particular variety, I may have misheard :blushing:

All three are way up around here.

They'll be lots of first wheats drilled in great conditions after potatoes and maize up around the North East.
The potential for tons is there even if there isn't a big increase in acres over the country
There is more wheat planted in the north east from what I've seen.

Winter wheat area will fall slightly around here in favour of winter barley. Unlike some other areas there was adequate weather to plant wheat around here last winter but barley outperformed at harvest.

They'll be lots of first wheats drilled in great conditions after potatoes and maize up around the North East.
The potential for tons is there even if there isn't a big increase in acres over the country
There is more wheat planted in the north east from what I've seen.
Up that country would have a lot more wheat anyway, around here it would have been traditional spring barley country which has slowly moved to winter barley. We would have sowed a little bit more a wheat this back end but winter barley acres have rocketed

Rolling down some of the ww I sowed today this evening and a nice amount of dust flying off the roller...........in November :huh:. I ploughed it on Saturday gone by and dust off the plough as well. It's a long time since I saw dust flying off a plough and never at this time of the year before. Bitterly cold out but super conditions for land work. I'll almost be sorry to be finished up sowing tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,almost.

Rolling down some of the ww I sowed today this evening and a nice amount of dust flying off the roller...........in November :huh:. I ploughed it on Saturday gone by and dust off the plough as well. It's a long time since I saw dust flying off a plough and never at this time of the year before. Bitterly cold out but super conditions for land work. I'll almost be sorry to be finished up sowing tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,almost.
I know the clocks have just changed but didn't think it made that much difference, I'm sure it's still October :tt2:

I know the clocks have just changed but didn't think it made that much difference, I'm sure it's still October :tt2:
Ah sure I'm always forwards :tt2:. Bit to far as it turns out, I forgot we're still in Oct and the date on the screen in front of me here whats worse:laugh:.

Reactions: Paw
Back