Winter Wheat 2019

Yeah thats the field. The "triangle yoke" is a carousel crow banger and the red thing hanging down is the gas cylinder. I was taking it home as it had done it's job.

What's the theory behind going to a wider spacing, is there any benefit to the crop?
Well the flow of soil is less impeded with wider spacing in heavier conditions. Also I'm asumming more light can get to lower leaves for longer. Only one season with wider spacing so I haven't noticed any significant yield bonus/penalty yet.

I consider 7" spacing the sweet spot

just like Massey I think @MF30 ?

narrow spacing looks better but it fills in and more likely to tiller

8" works well too, tried 10" but too wide for Barley

Does the Barley fall into the alleys in a wet harvest . With narrow rows the Barley is like two drunks one holds the other up .

As part of the high tech variety screening process that our Wexican Comedian describes, there’s a gap between the variety plots of about 10”.
When the barley plots are cut, you can certainly see more heads in these gaps than across the plot itself.

I consider 7" spacing the sweet spot

just like Massey I think @MF30 ?

narrow spacing looks better but it fills in and more likely to tiller

8" works well too, tried 10" but too wide for Barley
Correct, the early MF30s had spacings that were almost 7 inches wide and then changed to around 5 inch spacings. On a 3 meter drill this gave you 19 rows and 23 rows respectively. With 5 inch spacing and drilling seed only you could squeeze another couple of coulters in and feed them from the rear of the hopper. We changed from wide to narrow spacing years ago and I couldn't see any yield benefit. Narrow looked neater early in play, made it more difficult to walk through though when roguing wild oats etc!

Finished planting just now for the rain.
Didn’t get the last 44acres planted but no harm because I’d prefer maize on it anyhow as it’s after Lucerne.
Wash down and oil machines now.
May try a bit of sbarley in Jan, weather permitting.

All seed used was home saved straight from the heap. Gaucho and Deter are banned now so I didn’t even bother cleaning it.
We did buy a few ton of certified seed for next years supply...Sophie, Cellule, Cesario, Descartes, Rubisco and Consort.

Back