Winter wheat 2020

Louis mc

What are people thinking in varieties? Costello was slightly disappointing but will grow it again as it’s safe. Cellule was savage but need to either drill it Late or graze it. JB still doing what it always did. Bennington yielded well but can’t be dealing with it’s nonsense. Garrus true to form, sprouted and yielded. Might roll the dice again on a small bit. Conros find of 2019, lovely crop of no-till 2nd wheat all year and yielded 4.2 with zero drama. Graham looked mighty up until 4 weeks before harvest but yield okay, will grow some again.

What are people thinking in varieties? Costello was slightly disappointing but will grow it again as it’s safe. Cellule was savage but need to either drill it Late or graze it. JB still doing what it always did. Bennington yielded well but can’t be dealing with it’s nonsense. Garrus true to form, sprouted and yielded. Might roll the dice again on a small bit. Conros find of 2019, lovely crop of no-till 2nd wheat all year and yielded 4.2 with zero drama. Graham looked mighty up until 4 weeks before harvest but yield okay, will grow some again.

You got the WiFi fixed so....

Bennington yielded very well for me, very happy with it, except for yellow rust issues early on.

First time potential WW grower, what would be the general recommendation for a variety that even I could not mess up on?

Close to the coast in Wexford, elevated field which can be partially impacted by drought.

Haven't checked what my merchant has yet. Kind of thinking of Costello.

First time potential WW grower, what would be the general recommendation for a variety that even I could not mess up on?

Close to the coast in Wexford, elevated field which can be partially impacted by drought.

Haven't checked what my merchant has yet. Kind of thinking of Costello.

Garrus suit you Nash

Yellow rust spray in Dec or Jan keep your finger on the pulse :whistle:

Gone back growing more wheat over the past couple of years, definitely good from a margin point of view.

Not forgetting the risk of fusarium robbing us at the last hurdle.

Gone from growing mostly spring barley here with beans/WOSR as a break to growing more wheat.
Choosing the less risky varieties from a sprouting point of view and hopefully securing a seed premium.

Gone from a decent bit of wheat to less and less of it as winter barley is beating it every year especially after break crops.
Find wheat far too expensive and variable in the area we are.

Gone from a decent bit of wheat to less and less of it as winter barley is beating it every year especially after break crops.
Find wheat far too expensive and variable in the area we are.

I guess in recent years, good barley straw prices and parity between barley & wheat grain threw barley back into favour.
I find wheat gives a bit more yield down here and is better able to tolerate the tougher fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of slides from the Dept of Ag variety presentation at the Tillage meeting in Naas yesterday.

The hope is to have the winter barley Recommended List on Friday with Wheat & Oats early next week.

6ECCFA9A-0A65-47DD-92F5-FF80116ABCEC.jpeg 6600A1C0-507D-481A-8506-C3D21C3D5B96.jpeg

Going with Costello anyway and see how I get on.:yes:
Had it here the last 2 years and got on well in all slots. Surprised its yield ratings has dropped in the RL as in this area it seemed to have a very good year. Had some Bennington also and the costello hammered it by a good half tonne also I think it must be impossible to lodge as I tried my best

What's the recommended number of cereal crops after a break crop, that we can then sow wheat?

Back