Winter wheat 2020

Walked a few stubbles this evening, never saw anything like the crows around.

My father says It's a sign of wind :scratchhead: they seem to have great hunger which I remember from the Beast of the East time :scared:

Walked a few stubbles this evening, never saw anything like the crows around.

My father says It's a sign of wind :scratchhead: they seem to have great hunger which I remember from the Beast of the East time :scared:
Don't say that!!

Is there any panic spraying Nov ww? Need a full dry week before I can travel here.

no panic. There ain’t many aphids around these days. I can’t imagine the weeds are going nuts and you have a number of options for late weed control in wheat.

no panic. There ain’t many aphids around these days. I can’t imagine the weeds are going nuts and you have a number of options for late weed control in wheat.
Thanks, the aphids would either drown, freeze or wash away. Still its looks green and vigorous except for the odd missing patch.

Got most of the Winter Wheat covered today. I was putting out 60 units of Sul can . A couple of acres missing at the bottom corner of this field. The P and K can go out in the fullness of time. Where I put out 20 units in February was a bit greener.
A2B2DC01-FD57-4AEA-83CA-3FBA4474167D.jpeg 8CEB6B5A-33C2-4A04-A654-BC3F1C00C640.jpeg B08D74E9-618A-4F85-937D-7BA6404BFBE1.jpeg 8ABFFBED-910C-4CC6-86F6-14D59E5FD769.jpeg 3237A94E-3779-418F-9BD6-B4D42B31F520.jpeg

How much N should I bring wheat up to? Have 30 units on it a few days, was thinking of bringing it to at least 100 now. It looks well considering it's tough start.

Most ground is still too wet to roll, as already stated unless you are in stone trouble I think you will be doing more harm than good.

Rolled one field the other day, left a strip for comparison. My gut says it should help the roots and encourage weaker tillers survive. We'll see who's right as Roy Keane once said:lol:

Rolled one field the other day, left a strip for comparison. My gut says it should help the roots and encourage weaker tillers survive. We'll see who's right as Roy Keane once said:lol:
Rolled ours as well . Only fit to travel no so getting compound and also bringing it up to 80 units of N

It’s a good few years since I’ve seen this happen (thankfully).

It happened a few times before we began using a furrow press. This is our WW after WOSR. Not a pretty sight but August won’t be long coming.

The headlands are bombing along whereas the body of the field is hammered in areas (slugs, salt & wet).
Two doses of slug pellets. It’s tillering really well so might have 2/3 of a crop.

The complete field was ploughed without press (trying to let as much air as possible at the soil as it was mid November).
Body of field was planted with one pass. Then headlands grubbed and sown. It all tilled out fine. No rolling.
The combination of firming, grubbing and second run of power harrow on the headlands had a dramatic effect.

We had this a number of times with winter barley after WOSR. The press ended it. I’ve noticed that grubbing ploughing seems to absolutely murder slugs, i think the grinding effect of the soil particles mushes up the slugs and their eggs. Grubbing a lot of ploughing will eat metal though.

99B7CC03-17BF-48CC-B146-149015D4AEAB.jpeg

It’s a good few years since I’ve seen this happen (thankfully).

It happened a few times before we began using a furrow press. This is our WW after WOSR. Not a pretty sight but August won’t be long coming.

The headlands are bombing along whereas the body of the field is hammered in areas (slugs, salt & wet).
Two doses of slug pellets. It’s tillering really well so might have 2/3 of a crop.

The complete field was ploughed without press (trying to let as much air as possible at the soil as it was mid November).
Body of field was planted with one pass. Then headlands grubbed and sown. It all tilled out fine. No rolling.
The combination of firming, grubbing and second run of power harrow on the headlands had a dramatic effect.

We had this a number of times with winter barley after WOSR. The press ended it. I’ve noticed that grubbing ploughing seems to absolutely murder slugs, i think the grinding effect of the soil particles mushes up the slugs and their eggs. Grubbing a lot of ploughing will eat metal though.

View attachment 76038
We have had the same thing happen seed wheat about 2 miles east along the coast from that field.The headlands are doing good and the body of the field struggled.Ploughed and sown the same day but didn't get rolled. It really turned out nice but the subsequent rain/wind and of course slugs played havoc to it. We were only talking this morning about the importance of pressing ploughing going forward. Especially for winter crops.
That's an interesting point you made there about grubbing reducing slug numbers. Even if it just reduced numbers by 50% it be significant.

Back