Winter wheat 2020

I can't understand why Bennington was left on the recommend list after last year. I know last years white label would have been in the system but to propagate it again this year is madness. My costello last year did near a half tonne better despite the lower yield ratings on the RL.

There’s no better disease to take the leaves off wheat fast than Yellow Rust.
Have some untreated plots here so must take a look.

We are doing a winter wheat trial for the AHDB in the UK this year for the first time, some very rust prone varieties in there so it’s likely something will appear.
I remember Tom McCabe explaining how dry east winds can carry rust inoculum across the Irish Sea.

I remember Tom McCabe explaining how dry east winds can carry rust inoculum across the Irish Sea.

I agree. Now that we have a lot of a susceptible variety(s) around we don’t need to rely on the easterly wind anymore.
It’s as if we were preparing in case Brexit stopped the Yellow rust coming across!!!

View attachment 77715 View attachment 77716
Most of our wheat is home saved so we tend to stick to JB Diego and Costello but we availed of a couple of seed contracts this year and drilled some Bennington and Graham. We don't tend to get much rust around these parts but this jumped out at me while walking the Bennington on Friday evening. The sprayer was in the field first thing yesterday morning with Adexar and Opera. I think we have caught it early enough but it will be monitored closely.
Did u mix adexar and opera? Or treated different varieties with different chemicals?

View attachment 77715 View attachment 77716
Most of our wheat is home saved so we tend to stick to JB Diego and Costello but we availed of a couple of seed contracts this year and drilled some Bennington and Graham. We don't tend to get much rust around these parts but this jumped out at me while walking the Bennington on Friday evening. The sprayer was in the field first thing yesterday morning with Adexar and Opera. I think we have caught it early enough but it will be monitored closely.
Was the rust on the graham also

Has anyone any experience of wwheat that didn’t vernalise?
Wheat sown in Dec is finished flowering but the same variety sown in January is refusing to break the boot...

Wheat sown in Dec is finished flowering but the same variety sown in January is refusing to break the boot...
If Wheat doesn't vernalise it will stay in the grass stage, keeping tillering and not going into stem extension.
Usually some will vernalise so you will have odd stems growing upwards properly and the rest still stuck to the deck.
Doesn't sound like you have a vernalisation problem just a slow variety.

From the sounds of it, the wheat has vernalised.

Vernalisation is the move from the vegetative "grass corn" stage to the reproductive stage (stem extension). So, if it is at the stage of Booting then it will have vernalised.

Why it is slow to break the boot is another story. Maybe due to a restriction in the boot which is holding the ears back a bit? You see this sometimes when a PGR went on late but the ears eventually pop through.

Thanks Lads. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen wheat that didn’t vernalise.
It didn’t get any pgr or hormone weed killer so I was concerned.

Thanks Lads. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen wheat that didn’t vernalise.
It didn’t get any pgr or hormone weed killer so I was concerned.
In the early days of the SFP in May I resowed a few patches of winter wheat that had been flooded. We used winter wheat seed and at harvest it looked like grass and grew horizontally and was no more than four inches high . It looked more like Cocksfoot grass than a cereal.

I've 140 units N on so far on the ww. I had intended on having the rest out by now but held off waiting for rain. Is there any point in going on with the last of the N at this stage or will it be a waste?.

I've 140 units N on so far on the ww. I had intended on having the rest out by now but held off waiting for rain. Is there any point in going on with the last of the N at this stage or will it be a waste?.
Definitely put it on. I’d always put on 20-30 units at flag leaf emergence and were not at that point just yet (will be soon).

Definitely put it on. I’d always put on 20-30 units at flag leaf emergence and were not at that point just yet (will be soon).
Flag leaf is peeping on mine. Is a late application of P&K of any benefit to a crop?. I was chatting to a good spring barley grower last weekend who swears by P&K when top dressing his barely.

Flag leaf is peeping on mine. Is a late application of P&K of any benefit to a crop?. I was chatting to a good spring barley grower last weekend who swears by P&K when top dressing his barely.
Any P applied now will only be used by next years crop but I wouldn’t bother with either P or K to a winter crop at this stage unless you had a deficiency or hadn’t put out the required amount.

Debating the same here. 3/4 of flags out here.
It's had 110 units and chicken dung after grass, so I'm estimating 150 ish is on.
With it having so little rain here since the last dose, there's a good chance there's still some to take up.
Possibly might rain in the next day or two, dunno whether to hook the sprayer off and charge out with the sower...

Put another bag on ley ground on Monday in the hope of rain, up to 135 now. It's a nice clean stiff crop. Graham I think.

Put another bag on ley ground on Monday in the hope of rain, up to 135 now. It's a nice clean stiff crop. Graham I think.
I've 110 on ley, was considering another bag. It's had chicken dung in the Autumn, so I'm still thinking it'll green more with with rain...

I've 110 on ley, was considering another bag. It's had chicken dung in the Autumn, so I'm still thinking it'll green more with with rain...
I wasn't going to do it until I saw it was gone a bit pale and not too tall. CCC and the slow growth has held it back nicely. Been told to keep an eye and go with Terpal if needed. The chicken dung would add a lot to yours you would imagine.

Back