Winter wheat 2020

I wasn't going to do it until I saw it was gone a bit pale and not too tall. CCC and the slow growth has held it back nicely. Been told to keep an eye and go with Terpal if needed. The chicken dung would add a lot to yours you would imagine.

I'm looking across at it here now and it's far from pale, I've seen a lot worse!

I wasn't going to do it until I saw it was gone a bit pale and not too tall. CCC and the slow growth has held it back nicely. Been told to keep an eye and go with Terpal if needed. The chicken dung would add a lot to yours you would imagine.

I dunno, I'm like you thinking it's a bit pale sometimes, depends which direction I look at it maybe!
It's hard to judge how much power is left in the dung after the wet winter, now it's dry, maybe the bagged stuff has more left too!

Wheat rolling up here big time in last 48 hrs and now looks like we are going to get very little rain tomorrow night / Friday.
Very early for drought

Put another bag on ley ground on Monday in the hope of rain, up to 135 now. It's a nice clean stiff crop. Graham I think.
Flag leaf starting to show so went with the last bag on Monday, going hard this time , second ley but average land up to 180 .... I’ll get my coat ....

Flag leaf starting to show so went with the last bag on Monday, going hard this time , second ley but average land up to 180 .... I’ll get my coat ....
Going on with a bag today. It'll be at 170 and it got a good coating of fym pre ploughing as well. Should be enough I think. Going with T2 next week.

Have some t2 done but some costello is at an in-between stage. The flag leaf is fully out and boot nearly ready to split on the main shoots and the stronger tillers but the later tillers are only half out. 3 weeks since t1 and a lovely spray day, I'd say Monday or Tuesday will be the next opportunity. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_112018.jpg
    IMG_20200521_112018.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 8
Have some t2 done but some costello is at an in-between stage. The flag leaf is fully out and boot nearly ready to split on the main shoots and the stronger tillers but the later tillers are only half out. 3 weeks since t1 and a lovely spray day, I'd say Monday or Tuesday will be the next opportunity. Any thoughts?
Most wheat I’ve seen this year is very clean from a Septoria point of view (unless it was sown early).

If the crop is clean down through it then I’d be relatively relaxed and wait a week or so in order to treat as many leaves as possible.
If you have lots of Septoria you might want to move a bit sooner.
Being Costello, Yellow Rust shouldn’t be a concern.

This is the scrappy wheat that we have, just been through it with its final N (5th split).
It had Adexar T1 with Bravo, no T0 or any of that crack.
A bit uneven in terms of leaf emergence so I’m taking my time till T2 (Adexar again). Variety is Illuminate.

PGR was 1.5L CCC and followed later by 0.5kg Medax Max.

It’s after filling out a lot. Won’t make a big margin but shouldn’t put us on the street either.

05E7DCA3-55BA-4F75-A7FA-47E1F3896D18.jpeg 4689A1C0-CE28-4AC9-8C30-936434EB025D.jpeg

Most wheat I’ve seen this year is very clean from a Septoria point of view (unless it was sown early).

If the crop is clean down through it then I’d be relatively relaxed and wait a week or so in order to treat as many leaves as possible.
If you have lots of Septoria you might want to move a bit sooner.
Being Costello, Yellow Rust shouldn’t be a concern.

This is the scrappy wheat that we have, just been through it with its final N (5th split).
It had Adexar T1 with Bravo, no T0 or any of that crack.
A bit uneven in terms of leaf emergence so I’m taking my time till T2 (Adexar again). Variety is Illuminate.

PGR was 1.5L CCC and followed later by 0.5kg Medax Max.

It’s after filling out a lot. Won’t make a big margin but shouldn’t put us on the street either.

View attachment 78214 View attachment 78215
I thought we are supposed to be or advised to be changing chemistry from T1 to T2?

I thought we are supposed to be or advised to be changing chemistry from T1 to T2?
My own choice

Label says max of two applications. I’m not sure if it makes much difference at this stage to be honest. If it was a filthy crop then I might take a different approach.

I've seen septoria come into a totally spotless crop during early grain fill out of nowhere, variety had poor rating all right but it got robust t1 and t2 at the time. The disease came into the upper most leaves as opposed to working it's way up the plant. I wouldn't underestimate to threat of septoria even this year, the weather could change in 10 days and if we got a wet summer you'd be damn glad you've the crop well protected, any potential savings by cutting rates are small and not worth the risk in WW

I've seen septoria come into a totally spotless crop during early grain fill out of nowhere, variety had poor rating all right but it got robust t1 and t2 at the time. The disease came into the upper most leaves as opposed to working it's way up the plant. I wouldn't underestimate to threat of septoria even this year, the weather could change in 10 days and if we got a wet summer you'd be damn glad you've the crop well protected, any potential savings by cutting rates are small and not worth the risk in WW
Agreed, if you’re going to grow wheat in our climate and in the absence of good curative products then be prepared for strong rates of fungicide.

Do you mean revysol? I don't see the need for it here this year. Disease pressure is low, so are grain prices. Did you see the price of it?
I haven't seen the price. I take it it's dear stuff?. What product or products are you using if you don't mind me asking?. I'm still very much a novice with wheat.

What rates of each? A little over €3 an acre is very small on the scheme of things

I used Adexar last year and I had a problem with it congealing in my tank and blocking filters so I didn't want to use it this year. The lad from Quinns who walks my crops highly recommended Revystar and he said costs about 200 euro more for that block of wheat. 1.2 litres per Ha is the rate.

Back