Workshop Compressor

22688451_1422667894517228_3709642159384323379_n.jpg

Came across this on facebook there now . @bk1991
Here's their site. http://www.ige.ie/

I like the 50 litre 3 hp for €190 ,would it be any point buying the 100 litre 3 hp as it is €160 more for all i would be doing is pumping the odd few tyres and small bits of practice painting .I guess the 50 litre would be more mobile for moving around the farm

Quick question on impact wrenches - as I picked up a compressor lately a guy offered me a snapon 3/4" for €300 s/h but good condition however looking around you buy a Chicago pneumatics 1/2" new at half that and the torque rating enough for my need. I need it for the tractor wheels as the 14.4v snap on while handy for spinning on/off wont loosen them (217Nm). The tractor manual suggests the tightening torque is about 450nm. Ideally I want a lightweight unit that will do the wheels but may be useful on other jobs as well plough etc.

CP7736 1/2" http://www.airimpact.ie/p/cp7736-1_2-drive-chicago-pneumatic-impact-wrench-/cp7736
Working Torque Range (fwd) 69-770 Nm 51-570
Maximum Torque (reverse) 900 Nm 665 ft.lbs
Weight 2.58 kg

MG1250 3/4" https://store.snapon.com/3-4-Drive-...-Wrench-Air-Heavy-Duty-3-4-Drive-P750121.aspx
Maximum Torque, ft-lb (N•m) 1,250 (1,694)
not sure how adjustable fwd torque is
Weight 3.6kg

Any views appreciated as if the snapon is what I need it seems good value.

image.jpg I bought a us pro 3/4 of ebay for about €200-€240. Was a little worried when it arrived as what was marked right and left on the back was the opposite but it's a great gun. It's first job was to remove and refit every pad on a zaxis 130 and it did it with ease. I always check tractor and trailer whe nuts after using the gun but they never need any more. I have a cp 1/2 stuby gun which is great but it's definitely not for wheel nuts. I use the the 1/2 hose I have for the inch gun for the 3/4. Snap on isn't what it's cracked up to be and if someone is selling one I'd say it's because he's not happy with its performance himself

Quick question on impact wrenches - as I picked up a compressor lately a guy offered me a snapon 3/4" for €300 s/h but good condition however looking around you buy a Chicago pneumatics 1/2" new at half that and the torque rating enough for my need. I need it for the tractor wheels as the 14.4v snap on while handy for spinning on/off wont loosen them (217Nm). The tractor manual suggests the tightening torque is about 450nm. Ideally I want a lightweight unit that will do the wheels but may be useful on other jobs as well plough etc.

CP7736 1/2" http://www.airimpact.ie/p/cp7736-1_2-drive-chicago-pneumatic-impact-wrench-/cp7736
Working Torque Range (fwd) 69-770 Nm 51-570
Maximum Torque (reverse) 900 Nm 665 ft.lbs
Weight 2.58 kg

MG1250 3/4" https://store.snapon.com/3-4-Drive-...-Wrench-Air-Heavy-Duty-3-4-Drive-P750121.aspx
Maximum Torque, ft-lb (N•m) 1,250 (1,694)
not sure how adjustable fwd torque is
Weight 3.6kg

Any views appreciated as if the snapon is what I need it seems good value.
I wouldn't overlook a King Tony impact wrench. Having spent the last year or 2 selling them, I found lads were happy with them. They wouldn't be the cheapest stuff ever but would be of a fairly good quality we always found. I have a small one myself (lightweight but very powerful, 450ft/lbs) and find it great. I'd like to get a bigger one as it's a bit small for bigish wheels and have my eye on another king tony one when the funds allow, but wouldn't have enough use to justify it at the minute either.
It's one of these I have:
https://www.kingtony.com/kt_old/products/products_detail.asp?id=1891&cid=8&cid1=54&sizeid=3&subid=0

And one of these I want to get down the line:
https://www.kingtony.com/kt_old/products/products_detail.asp?id=2898&cid=8&cid1=59&sizeid=3&subid=0
I've nothing to do with King Tony btw, only sold some of their tools at work. If you want contact details for the crowd I worked with, drop me a PM. I can put ya in touch with one of the lads.

3/4” cp here from new, really only used for wheel changing. Not sure a 1/2” would be up to it but I could be wrong.
Cp is good although heavy. I do plough stuff by hand.

I use a cheap/no-name 1" for wheel changing and a hitachi 1/2" 18V cordless impact driver for plough work.
The cordless is not really strong enough for wheel work and really too strong for the plough, you have to be very careful with it on the plough.
I very much doubt one would be good at both.

If you're only going to buy one gun get a good half inch.

If you're willing to get two then that snap on plus a compact unit would be a great combination.

Depends on how much you're actually going to use it.

I don't really use mine much, only for a lot of big nuts, anything small in size or quantity isn't worth the hassle for me and I just use a ratchet or an adapter in the battery impact screwdriver

Have a 1" gun from Jebbs in Cork, no name but no problem with any wheel nuts. Bear in mind you'll need a larger hose and connection on your tank for this size of gun. Probably cost around €250 or thereabouts. Don't think I'd like anything smaller for those big stubborn nuts...Used to have Aldi half inch gun but it couldn't even open car wheel nuts and only lasted a short while. Got a King Tony 1/2 inch gun lately for €230 and it's an animal to open nuts. Expensive but good, two
words you usually find in the same sentence describing quality products.
MF30

When it comes to cordless impacts, Milwaukee is apparently the machine. Looked at some King Tony cordless ones lately and the guy selling them advised me to steer clear. I like King Tony spanners.

As mentioned, 3/4” CP here for tractor wheels and the odd other job. 3/4” is well tested on some trailer wheels that aren’t opened often. A serious tyre man would want 1”.
Only plough 200ac but if was changing a lot of wearing metal then a cordless 1/2” would be bought I’d say.

I don’t see a place here for anything else. 1/2” air would be lighter to use than 3/4” but not man enough at all for what I’d put it at. Anything it could do I’d probably just do by hand.

A 3/4 gun is neither here nor there imo.
Too heavy and awkward for light work and not man enough for big wheels.
I had one but later bought a 1/2 " and an inch gun.nothing is a problem then.
I recently bought a dewalt dcf899 18v cordless impact gun and it's an animal.
I tightened tines in the bale splitter last week no problem.it has 3 torque settings so light work is no problem.
In the online reviews it comes out most powerful

Lads my 3hp belt driven compressor (Italian middle of the road job) has been hard started in cold weather the last few winters but it's gone worse now.it will spin a bit them the overload on the motor trips.
When you hit the red switch on top of the electric control unit it lets off a blast of air which leads me to presume it's not trying to start under load but maybe I'm wrong

It
Lads my 3hp belt driven compressor (Italian middle of the road job) has been hard started in cold weather the last few winters but it's gone worse now.it will spin a bit them the overload on the motor trips.
When you hit the red switch on top of the electric control unit it lets off a blast of air which leads me to presume it's not trying to start under load but maybe I'm wrong
Its the way the work the blow off there on auto too. Is there oil in the compressor?

Mine has been doing similar for a couple of years, I now spray a little easing oil/WD40 on the drive shaft of the compressor motor to oil the outside of the bearing.
If it is not run for a few weeks the top and the outside of the bear tend to seize a little bit from not getting oil.

@gone Is yours only acting up in cold weather?It's in frost mine stops.much worse this year than last
I didn't notice if Frost had any effect, but it is worse during the winter, but that could be just that it wouldn't be use that often during the winter.
Easy check, before starting or even better next time it gives trouble plug it out and see if the compressor turns easily by hand. If it is stiff to turn it may be the bearing.

Drained sometime last winter.
How often do most lads drain there's.
There isn't a way of drying air on the way in to the tank that i known of?
I try to make a habit of draining it at least monthly, of course it depends on usage and it usually does least work in the winter, ideally it should be drained after each use which would be preferable to leaving water sitting in it for a period of time.

The pump is very free by hand.
It's more like an electric problem.
I replaced the capacitor a few years ago.
Could it be gone again?

it's voltage and temperature as far as I can tell.

When the compressor is cold it takes more effort to spin as the oil is thicker, the motors are sized to be just about adequate and if they're in anything less that perfect power situations the motor fails to spin fast enough before the dump valve closes I find draining the tank of air so that even when the dump valve closes the pump is still pushing against nothing generally helps if it's real bad.

I would imagine a bigger motor might help but I dont use the compressor enough to worry, if restarting it 2-3 times doesnt allow it enough to stay running then I just dump the whole tank and it always runs.

The pump is very free by hand.
It's more like an electric problem.
I replaced the capacitor a few years ago.
Could it be gone again?
If you want to go mad, Magnum have an offer at the moment on their MX1008 200L 15 CFM compressor. My just bought 1.

If you want to go mad, Magnum have an offer at the moment on their MX1008 200L 15 CFM compressor. My just bought 1.

Post the details if you can please. A friend is looking for something around that size at the moment.

Back