workshop hints and tips

Any links to where they can be got if possible.
Might not be used very often but sure as hell would be handy when needed

Id say any reputable engineering crowd would have them/order them for you, they might by a bit pricy but trust me they are worth it :Thumbp2:again ridgid is what to look for

We were gifted a reciprocating timber saw and not having a use for woodworking used it to cut galvanise sheeting. it lasted about two hours lol.

Apologies @Seedsower only thought of this now . Picked them up off eBay few yrs back . Was recommended them off another forum.
What make was the one that twisted.
I saw theese for sale recently but forget the make.

Attachments

• IMG_3473.JPG
    IMG_3473.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 99
I'm already thinking ours is just the job for kindling. Old palets and the rest. By the time the chainsaw has ffecd yer back and made you sweat it would almost be faster!

I find a hand held circular saw is quicker than a recip saw for slicing up pallets.

Reactions: AYF
Lads,

The duckin bull scratched the water pipe fitting loose on my new JFC drinker yesterday. I have it tightened up and a bit of silage tape put on it over the joint and the whole thing wrapped in barbed wire which will hold it temporarily and stop him from scratching.
Is there any handy way of protecting it?
I was going to make a cage out of rebar and weld it to a plate which can be bolted onto the 2 holes at the bottom of the back plate of the drinker as shown in the picture.

0740619.jpg

Lads,

The duckin bull scratched the water pipe fitting loose on my new JFC drinker yesterday. I have it tightened up and a bit of silage tape put on it over the joint and the whole thing wrapped in barbed wire which will hold it temporarily and stop him from scratching.
I was going to make a cage out of rebar and weld it to a plate which can be bolted onto the 2 holes at the bottom of the back plate of the drinker as shown in the picture.

0740619.jpg
could you use some lightish tin, if it was folded into an L shape and fitted behind the main bracket and covering your water fitting, you could run the bolts fixing to pillar thru tin as well to secure and maybe screw the bit covering the water fitting onto the tube frame around bowl

could you use some lightish tin, if it was folded into an L shape and fitted behind the main bracket and covering your water fitting, you could run the bolts fixing to pillar thru tin as well to secure and maybe screw the bit covering the water fitting onto the tube frame around bowl
That would be awkward to repair. this could slide down over it and sit on top.

Attachments

• jfc.jpg
    jfc.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 53
Lads,

0740619.jpg
Could you not get some flange iron and bolt it in begind the plate, even if it only half covered the pipe on the outside it would probably prevent him from actually doing damage to the fitting. It was the only thing I saw with them when looking at them at the ploughing, they left the pipe quite exposed when it would be simple enough to have bent the back plate to come out around it.

That would be awkward to repair. this could slide down over it and sit on top.
That would stop the drinker from being able to dump tho as it needs to swing clear to the side opposite the pipe

Lads,

0740619.jpg
I could see the potential for that happening when fitting one of mine, slightly different situation as I was fixing to a plate welded to a pillar, welded a bit of stuff from under the bench to the pillar to protect the fitting and ran the pipe through a bit of box iron, something similar might work for you if you could trap a bit of flat 40mm wide steel under the top and side mounting bolts, be careful if welding as the plastic fitting will get damaged very easy, maybe wrap a damp rag around it.IMG_20171107_134731.jpg

I could see the potential for that happening when fitting one of mine, slightly different situation as I was fixing to a plate welded to a pillar, welded a bit of stuff from under the bench to the pillar to protect the fitting and ran the pipe through a bit of box iron, something similar might work for you if you could trap a bit of flat 40mm wide steel under the top and side mounting bolts, be careful if welding as the plastic fitting will get damaged very easy, maybe wrap a damp rag around it.View attachment 49135

You had that pic up before. I was searching for it and could not remember who posted it.
Cheers!

Thinking about buying a small inverter arc welder for some light repairs around the yard and fabrication/hobby work. Bearing in mind that we already have a big arc welder for any heavy work, what's people's opinion on parweld?
Considering that this will weld up to 6mm steel and I'll rarely be welding more than 2 or 3 rods continuously, I don't see the need for me going for anything bigger than this?

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_649&product_id=4677

Thinking about buying a small inverter arc welder for some light repairs around the yard and fabrication/hobby work. Bearing in mind that we already have a big arc welder for any heavy work, what's people's opinion on parweld?
Considering that this will weld up to 6mm steel and I'll rarely be welding more than 2 or 3 rods continuously, I don't see the need for me going for anything bigger than this?

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_649&product_id=4677
Be fine
U
You'll use the bigger 1 less

That'll do the finest, I've a 160 amp one here of the same make for over 5 years and it's been 100%. At that price i don't think that you can really go wrong

Back