wormer/ flukicide

Bull Durham

Started getting carcase results from Woodheads showing fluke damage to livers for the first time ever . We have some land that has a bit of a tendency to lie wet , and after the wet season we had last year , i suppose it was inevitable ,and the cattle that were "piped " had been on that land . Right - Question - is the combined wormer/ flukicide any good , Pour on , or oral , or inject , or is it considered to be a bit expensive yet ? Any user views welcome . :confused1:

Started getting carcase results from Woodheads showing fluke damage to livers for the first time ever . We have some land that has a bit of a tendency to lie wet , and after the wet season we had last year , i suppose it was inevitable ,and the cattle that were "piped " had been on that land . Right - Question - is the combined wormer/ flukicide any good , Pour on , or oral , or inject , or is it considered to be a bit expensive yet ? Any user views welcome . :confused1:
we had fluke here for the first time too late last year:thumbdown:
our supplier told us it was less than half price to buy the wormer and fluke drench seperate
we use pour on wormer and drench for fluke

Yes , that's what we do , pour on wormer and oral flukicide . Just wondered if one operation would be as cheap , as well as easier . Probably have a word with David at Bennetts in Fivemiletown .

we usually used pour on wormeer, and trodax, for the first time this year we used colsamectin pour on, its deifinatley handy, but as for it working, well we don't kill anything, so no livers to go by, will have to get a test done sometime to see if its been effective.

We are on heavy groung, and fluke cattle every year, its not worth the risk or not doing it for us

Used closamectin here for the last couple of years, right handy to use, can certainly be an improvement in the cattle. Going to give them trodax this spring so as to clean them out over the summer.

Sheep here are on about 4 drenches a very for fluke, we were getting reports of rejected livers last year but no word so far this year.

flukicide

Absolutely new to this fluke business . What's the difference between Closamectin and Trodax , Pour on or drench? (or price perhaps! )

Absolutely new to this fluke business . What's the difference between Closamectin and Trodax , Pour on or drench? (or price perhaps! )

Trodax is an injection, that kills immature and adult fluke, which frankly at this time of year is all your going to have. Closamectin is a pour on, or injection that does worms, lice, immature and mature fluke.

If you want to kill early immature fluke, you need to be using a drench like fasinex (spelling might not be right) but its a bit late for that now.

As far as sheep are concerned and I see no reason to think other ways for cattle, I would be treating for immature Fluke at the back end of the year with Fasinex and then a combi in spring to go along with treating for others such as wire worm. Last year I had to do several doses in the lambs for tape worm, something I havnt had to do before, But we had a terrible problem in the lambs with them. Only thing that worked was Panacur.

Yes , that's what we do , pour on wormer and oral flukicide . Just wondered if one operation would be as cheap , as well as easier . Probably have a word with David at Bennetts in Fivemiletown .
is that the fivemiletown up the road from me or ya got one over there as well?

No, that's the one alright . Bennett's Pharmacy Main St. Fivemiletown Co. Fermanagh , Chap name of David is the agricultural pharmacist there . Really nice fella , very obliging , and possibly most important of all, reliable. Nice company to do business with too . You can fairly well guarantee that if you order something today before mid day, it'll be on the doorstep tomorrow . Dealt with them a long time . Jim H

No, that's the one alright . Bennett's Pharmacy Main St. Fivemiletown Co. Fermanagh , Chap name of David is the agricultural pharmacist there . Really nice fella , very obliging , and possibly most important of all, reliable. Nice company to do business with too . You can fairly well guarantee that if you order something today before mid day, it'll be on the doorstep tomorrow . Dealt with them a long time . Jim H
the next thing your gonna tell me is that you live just up the road:lol::lol:.
how did you end up dealing there if ya dont mind me askin.

Simple really , agricultural pharmaceuticals got to be very expensive as you will know . So , apart from items that need a script , we started dealing with them , and kept with them - we were satisfied with their prices and service , so-- what more do you need ?

Simple really , agricultural pharmaceuticals got to be very expensive as you will know . So , apart from items that need a script , we started dealing with them , and kept with them - we were satisfied with their prices and service , so-- what more do you need ?
exactly.
might give them a call sometime to see what prices are like, never even thought of them tbh.

Does anyone know how long it takes early immature fluke to become late mature fluke,as in using trodax in housed cattle.

Used trodax and fortemec pour on here for years but last year we had a good bit of Rumen fluke (never even heard it it before that) and we were advised that Zanil was the only drench known to kill those fluke. So all the stores last year were dosed with zanil about a month or so after housing and got the fortemec pouron for worms and lice. I intend to do the same this year plus the drench is a lot cheaper then Trodax. Closamectin imo isn't very good. Tried it a few years ago and were very disappointed with it.

Used trodax and fortemec pour on here for years but last year we had a good bit of Rumen fluke (never even heard it it before that) and we were advised that Zanil was the only drench known to kill those fluke. So all the stores last year were dosed with zanil about a month or so after housing and got the fortemec pouron for worms and lice. I intend to do the same this year plus the drench is a lot cheaper then Trodax. Closamectin imo isn't very good. Tried it a few years ago and were very disappointed with it.

The only thing to be careful of there is Zanil will only kill mature liver and rumen fluke, so it's advised to go in with your fortemec at housing or ideally a week after followed by Zanil say a week later then again Zanil at 10-12 weeks post housing to give the immature and eggs time to mature

Does anyone know how long it takes early immature fluke to become late mature fluke,as in using trodax in housed cattle.

Approx. 5-6 weeks
More on it here with advised procedures for dosing when housing

levafast diamond kills rumen fluke also, its a combination drench. can't be used in milking cows though.

Have a few here that need a dose won't be housed till December wondering will I use something like topimec now and closamectin when housed or vise versa

levafast diamond kills rumen fluke also, its a combination drench. can't be used in milking cows though.

Have heard that Levafas a Diamond is a hard dose on stock , but effective. Important not to give over the correct dose. Never used it myself . I use Albex usually. On bucket fed calves for worms I use whatever injectable invectermectin coop has on a special offer.

Similar here. Trodax, and a pour on for worms. How did you know you had rumen fluke? Were the cattle showing any symptoms?

Similar here. Trodax, and a pour on for worms. How did you know you had rumen fluke? Were the cattle showing any symptoms?

I went to see the cattle been killed and the man in charge brought us into a room beside the processing line I suppose you'd call it to show us the stomach lining and I could see myself the fluke. Yer man reckoned they would put about an extra fortnight at least of extra finishing time onto the cattle and that translates into extra expense. Dosed everything with Zanil after that and no more trouble since.

used levafas diamond a few years ago and lost a cow to dehydration because of the good results it had with fluke. still use it now as that was a one off, trodax was used and didnt work at all. zanil last year before a follow up of levafas diamond as far as i can remember, but spaced well apart

Back