Yew trees

KJL

Does anyone have experience of cutting and removing yew trees. Have a large yew tree that I need to cut down and remove. I am planning on cutting it and loading it and taking it away. Just a bit worried about the needles falling off as we are cutting and loading it.

could you use something like a silage plastic sheet under where your working, or lorry cover. Could you hire a big hoover??

Yew timber is worth a fair few quid isnt it?

It will kill cattle. As it dries out it becomes more palatable. Was just worried about how much of it will get scattered on the grass when we are cutting and loading.

Maybe silage plastic would work but it's a fairly big tree.

Didn't know yew timber was sought after?

How old is this tree because YEW trees can live for thousands of years . They also do not get disease if they split or lose branches .

"Symptoms of yew poisoning include an accelerated heart rate, muscle tremors, convulsions, collapse, difficulty breathing, circulation impairment and eventually cardiac arrest. However, there may be no symptoms, and if poisoning remains undetected death may occur within hours.[24] Fatal poisoning in humans is very rare, usually occurring after consuming yew foliage. The leaves are more toxic than the seed."

It's probably 50 or 60 years old, it's around 30ft high. There were elm trees in the same land that have long since died.

image.jpg
Many of these old kitchen farmhouse chairs are made from yew.
They are in high demand both antiques and reproductions, if you could find a furniture maker who makes them, it might worth a few quid.

Reactions: KJL
Nice looking grain in that chair

It's not mine, it was in a local shop, there is a similar one in the home place, though next exactly the same, if it was I would've bought it, my cousin ended up buying that one, anyone put a value on it?

Close enough, €500 to €700 would be common enough asking prices.
Depending how rare the chair is, a pair of rare chairs in the UK could be asking £1500 to £2000.
There's couple of rare chairs here, one in particular is missing a lump off the back rest courtesy of a destructive 2 year old and has a crude picture of a raccoon drawn on the seat by an artistic 5 year old, I'd say it's the only one like it in the country if not the world.

There's couple of rare chairs here, one in particular is missing a lump off the back rest courtesy of a destructive 2 year old and has a crude picture of a raccoon drawn on the seat by an artistic 5 year old, I'd say it's the only one like it in the country if not the world.

Is there some pishogue about felling a yew tree !!
There is, it's supposed to be a vessel for evil souls who don't get to cross over into the after life, apparently that's why you see them in graveyards. I've cut up a few before and to be honest I wouldn't do it again, I'm not superstitious but I had a serious run of bad luck after working on the last tree that I knocked in a graveyard. Beautiful timber but can be a bas#ard to work on at times.

Is there some pishogue about felling a yew tree !!
There is, it's supposed to be a vessel for evil souls who don't get to cross over into the after life, apparently that's why you see them in graveyards. I've cut up a few before and to be honest I wouldn't do it again, I'm not superstitious but I had a serious run of bad luck after working on the last tree that I knocked in a graveyard. Beautiful timber but can be a bas#ard to work on at times.

Was told that they were a symbol of eternal life (I think) as they live so long.

It's said the reason they are common in graveyards was to stop cattle owners availing of free grazing years ago.

You reckon I should leave the tree where it is?

Back