Yield Limiting

I used to do that but invariably Copper was left out of tank mixes as they would be too complex or it was simply forgotten.
Having the nutrient present in the soil from day one of the plants growth is always going to be more beneficial than chasing ones tail with foliar applications.

Soil tests showed low Cu & Zn levels and visible Cu deficiency was visible on one occasion in winter barley before I applied to the soil.
I use leaf analysis but it’s only a snap shot in time and it’s generally accepted that leaf analysis for nutrients only provides back up to soil tests.
Either way of skinning a cat, but aslong as its applied is of benefit. It's just a pity cereal farmers who go above and beyond having trace elements spot on arent payed for the higher nutrient and value grain

Either way of skinning a cat, but aslong as its applied is of benefit. It's just a pity cereal farmers who go above and beyond having trace elements spot on arent payed for the higher nutrient and value grain

I hear you but I’d hope to be paid in the form of a better yield.

P
I hear you but I’d hope to be paid in the form of a better yield.
I think better yeild will be marginal, but quality will be a good bit higher and this is where the real benefit of your attention to detail should be rewarded.

Spraying on Copper Sulphate this afternoon, this land was index 1 - 2 for Copper up to a few years ago when I applied 20kg/Ha on ploughing. This immediately raised indices to 4.
Latest soil test showed that levels were starting to slip back to Index 3ish so I gave it a top up of 11.5kg today on the stubble, it should wash in.

Also tried some Zinc Sulphate at 11 kg/Ha in a separate pass to see if I could increase soil levels. Threw in a drop of Glyphosate with it.

Land is destined for strip tilled WOSR early next week.

View attachment 69342 View attachment 69343
Many years ago (twenty +) Gouldings used to do granulated trace elements. It was physically the same as fertilizer. As far as I remember it was a small bit more expensive than the sulphates but was an awful lot handier to put on, and it worked well. I have enquired about it a few times since. No one seems to know anything about it.

Many years ago (twenty +) Gouldings used to do granulated trace elements. It was physically the same as fertilizer. As far as I remember it was a small bit more expensive than the sulphates but was an awful lot handier to put on, and it worked well. I have enquired about it a few times since. No one seems to know anything about it.

They now can include trace elements as value added to their products. As far as I know YARA do a straight trace element grassland compound, or someone in the UK does

Granular will build soil levels over time

Mn deficiency on black soil.seed dressed with mn and sprayed a few times. No spray last winter and areas died despite seed treatment. Can the soil be rectified .high ph.

Mn deficiency on black soil.seed dressed with mn and sprayed a few times. No spray last winter and areas died despite seed treatment. Can the soil be rectified .high ph.

I don’t think it’s really possible to increase Mn levels or to realistically lower the pH (lots of sulphur might eventually do it but I’m not sure).
Seed treatment with Mn only feeds the seedling at a very early stage, spray will still be needed.

I noticed the tracks of the tractor rolling survived so tighter soil helps. direct drilling would probably be better for that reason.?

I don’t think it’s really possible to increase Mn levels or to realistically lower the pH (lots of sulphur might eventually do it but I’m not sure).
Seed treatment with Mn only feeds the seedling at a very early stage, spray will still be needed.
Tight seedbeds like you get in mintill or direct drill reduces Mn deficiency. Our high PH field had the highest yield of spring wheat last year and spring Barley this year with a couple of sprays of Mn . I bought a few tonne of the granular minerals for small money when Glanbia were closing a depot .

Tight seedbeds like you get in mintill or direct drill reduces Mn deficiency. Our high PH field had the highest yield of spring wheat last year and spring Barley this year with a couple of sprays of Mn . I bought a few tonne of the granular minerals for small money when Glanbia were closing a depot .
Well done, Cute wh*re!!!!!

There’s no doubt that releasing Carbon into the atmosphere isn’t such a good idea for environmental reasons.

There’s also a reason why the legal obligation to test arable soils for OM% was discontinued in Ireland - tests showed that our soils in Ireland had what was deemed to be adequate OM levels. I’ve never got too hung up on raising OM levels - it would be nice but I’m not that bothered (I just aim to handle the soil when it’s properly friable).

I always thought Irish OM levels were high because of our wet climate. Never heard anyone stating it but my view was that our wet climate limits oxygen in the soil and therefore oxidation of OM. Also our wet climate suits the production of a lot of biomass above and below the soil which in turn produces OM. Also our lower temperatures lessen oxidation.
The creation of bogland only occurs in areas of high rainfall - bogland is the ultimate accumulation of OM.

Found the map below on Twitter which is the first actual evidence I’ve seen to back up my view.

8FFB9011-263B-4AB0-91F6-A03EA7E9E1D8.jpeg

Much better article from University of limerick researcher
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1054178/

Really better? It’s an opinion of a researcher.

It’s well known that the bulk of soil P in unavailable to plants.
This is a chap using an article to look for more research funding.
I have yet to see a proven tool besides lime to help plants get at this unavailable P.....

Don’t get me wrong, I do hope a real way of reducing our reliance on mined P can be found. More use of human sewage waste looks like an immediate method in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really better? It’s an opinion of a researcher.

It’s well known that the bulk of soil P in unavailable to plants.
This is a chap using an article to look for more research funding.
I have yet to see a proven tool besides lime to help plants get at this unavailable P.....

Don’t get me wrong, I do hope a real way of reducing our reliance on mined P can be found. More use of human sewage waste looks like an immediate method in my opinion.
Tbh I think we need to look how the organic lads do it and start to think along their lines
Now I know we wont get the yields and be able to do it totally organic but we need clovers etc and disease resistant crops so we can rely less on the bottle or bag

Tbh I think we need to look how the organic lads do it and start to think along their lines
Now I know we wont get the yields and be able to do it totally organic but we need clovers etc and disease resistant crops so we can rely less on the bottle or bag

Organic guys get very high prices to compensate for the lower yield. Disease resistance is the aim of every plant breeder but it’s easier said than done.

We can certainly do things to help such as organic manures, rotation, selection of particular varieties.

Good growers are already doing most of these.

I’ve seen the wheat variety Cellule completely break down to Septoria within two years in Ireland. The Septoria fungus adapted so quickly - it was shocking.

From this experience and looking at the way plants & diseases interact, I’m convinced that in this climate, we’re at nothing unless we have genetics & chemistry working together. Mother Nature won’t always work in your favour, she’ll eat you up and spit you out.

I think I have an issue witj consolodation of seedbeds, especially in spring crops. and grass reseeds during the summer, looking at options as It was probably my biggest yield limiter this year. We currently ring roll ahead of the drill but I think we need to consolidate a little deeper.

Its nearly all our own work butonly around 100ac a year so machinery spend has to be sensible. I know @CORK is a big fan of the plough press, what else are lads using how do they find it if they were buying again would they do the same.

I think I have an issue witj consolodation of seedbeds, especially in spring crops. and grass reseeds during the summer, looking at options as It was probably my biggest yield limiter this year. We currently ring roll ahead of the drill but I think we need to consolidate a little deeper.

Its nearly all our own work butonly around 100ac a year so machinery spend has to be sensible. I know @CORK is a big fan of the plough press, what else are lads using how do they find it if they were buying again would they do the same.
What's your method now?and your soil type?

What's your method now?and your soil type?
Slurry, Plough, roll, fert &lime, one pass, roll. Soil would be lightish but a bit silty, need to be careful when we work it as it can be a bit sticky and do a good imitation of concrete when it dries out.

Slurry, Plough, roll, fert &lime, one pass, roll. Soil would be lightish but a bit silty, need to be careful when we work it as it can be a bit sticky and do a good imitation of concrete when it dries out.
Roll it 90 degrees to the way it was drilled. Works wonders.

Sounds like soil that doesnt like to be ploughed and loosened in the first place. Is it mixed farming your in. Constantly rotating the cropping fields?

Plough and furrow press then a run of the power harrow before coming in with the mf drill. Flat roll if land is fit and no roll at all if it's not. I've tried incorporating P&K into winter seed beds and found practically no difference vs waiting until spring time and putting it on then. Lime goes out as necessary onto ploughed ground and is tilled in.

Back