Forum4Farming - Britain & Ireland Farming Forum, Agricultural Discussion Boards. IE & UK
Go Back   Forum4Farming - Britain & Ireland Farming Forum, Agricultural Discussion Boards. IE & UK > Machinery Matters
Register FAQ Forum Rules Mark Forums Read

Old 20-05-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKVILLE View Post
1ish
Was 3 down to one or two now. Point wasn't about how many there are but disputing the claim bigM is fastest way of cutting grass
Old 20-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Grass Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurryboy View Post
Was 3 down to one or two now. Point wasn't about how many there are but disputing the claim bigM is fastest way of cutting grass
If you wish to get pedantic on the matter the Haybine toolbar from the US at up to 100ft cutting width would make the Cougar look like a walk behind lawnmower
My point being made about the Big M relative to Irish conditions seeing as that is where the OP is based
Old 20-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Hopper View Post
If you wish to get pedantic on the matter the Haybine toolbar from the US at up to 100ft cutting width would make the Cougar look like a walk behind lawnmower
My point being made about the Big M relative to Irish conditions seeing as that is where the OP is based
I seen on the journal that there are now 140 big ms working in Ireland .so they can't be that bad.
Old 20-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

BigM's new, MAD money!!!!

2nd hand a far better deal BUT you need to find a really well looked after one or they will "put your lights out" with repairs!!!

Right few contractors up here who ran MKII BigM's have gone back to running tractor/triples instead of changing to the M400/420s due to price.

Fairly easy I would think to find a good 200/240horse tractor with FL/PTO and "chip her" up SLIGHTLY and team with a decent set of used triples and "suck diesel" to knock down grass.
Tractor can then be put to other work rather than sitting in the shed with mounting depreciation.

Know a man bought a new JD7530 and chipped her up(when on mowing duty) that she was putting out 277Horse at the shaft (as confirmed by Dyno print out from local Tech) and had her on a set of triples with BELTS for 3yrs.
Traded her in for the expensive brand(big warranty on years/hours clinched the deal) and got 54k for her, now that was CHEAP mowing!!!!
Old 20-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Friend was telling me of a Dutch contractor who tried a Cougar when they first came out but decided against. His argument was by the time the Cougar unfolded and was ready for work he had already done two laps of the headland with his Big M and due to field size there was no output gain.

Has Harry still got the Cougar?

There have only ever been a handful of Big Ms sold in the UK that I am aware of.
Old 20-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Treemover

Local fella here put 80k into his over the winter then lost his nerve come April, traded and bought a new one!!

I think that says it all how much of a time bomb they are? But like harvesters, loaders etc, as a key component, can you soldier on if it breaks down??

Costs per acre are supposed to be low if your doing the acreage. But they are worthless when trading. Much the same as a spfh,

Some say they would be better buying a new one and keeping the older for spares, but for the fact they change quite a bit, so engines, drives, motors etc won't swap.

That said, 3 around here, bought for small money.

I believe they will drop a serious amount of grass when conditions are right which suits the farmer.

Lower diesel usage per acre,

But when they breakdown, you'd need 10k for starters.

You roll the dice and take your chances!

James in July, that money in your pocket will burn some hole!!

Buy a new one and be done with it!
Old 20-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profi Farmer View Post
Friend was telling me of a Dutch contractor who tried a Cougar when they first came out but decided against. His argument was by the time the Cougar unfolded and was ready for work he had already done two laps of the headland with his Big M and due to field size there was no output gain.

Has Harry still got the Cougar?

There have only ever been a handful of Big Ms sold in the UK that I am aware of.
Yes harry still has the cougar. When that's running down a field at 20kph. You can knock a lot Pfffft grass down in a short time
Old 20-05-2013, 12:25 PM

anyman saying he can cut more with a 30ft compared to a 50ft is just talking through his arse, field size or not. i'd still be more incline to a tractor and mower setup though, if you don't like the mower bit change it, if you don't like the tractor bit you can change that too, with big M once you have it you are stuck with krone until you fork out to change the whole thing.
plus the tractor can do other work at different times of the year, only thing i'd say is if you are cutting the usual irish shite crops there is no point going for the likes of a 7530jd or TM190, both of those types of tractor are too small for the power they are coming out at standard, pushing another 25% or more form an engine that is already at it's limit is a bad idea. very few handy tractors about that are fit for triples in heavy conditions really.
Old 20-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb411abuser View Post
very few handy tractors about that are fit for triples in heavy conditions really.
One exception maybe and what a right few big acre men are going for in 2013 to mount up to a set of triples:

Fendt724.

BTW,

There are any God's amount of TM190s that have been running triples around here for a right few years and got on not too bad.
Old 20-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Treemover

Buy a Fendt 828 or 930 on a 5 year buy back contract. Probably cost 20k per year.

Buy triples, another 50-80 k?

Capital wise I'd say the big m would be cheaper.

But 5 years time, getting into new will cost less.

There must be serious money in cutting silage!!!