Public Footpath's

AYF

Had a fella turn up here today, saying they were going to re-open an old right of way through two of our fields. and when I say old where there was an old bridge there is now a fairly decent tree! it's on a handful of ancient maps too!

Their planing on going through two hedges, which we've said they need written consent to do from the welsh office, as we aren't allowed to touch them in the closed period!

also said no vehicles, as the path runs through some wet patches, and dad recons someone might take the wrong idea and want to take vehicles on there?!

also told them we get allot of trouble with hare coursers, so a public footpath would be a majour plus point for them!!! just gives em an excuse to be 'walking the dogs'!!!

anyhow, sorry to ramble on, but has anyone found a way to get them off the job?

ps I wouldn't mind but the path will only cut out 300meters of walking down the lane they were already on in the first place!! with nice wide verges and hardly any traffic, let alone stock! :001_unsure::001_unsure:

I though a right of way was lost if it hasn't been used in 7years
now i might be wrong !

Thankfully these public footpaths etc dont exist around here, people never go on our land unless maybe someone from the local shooting club, and thats only very rarely.

are they allowed just to work away, can you not block them, maybe that would be a bit harsh if you were the only one stopping it, but there is, as you say, another way round.

id be digging me heels in neway, its just more hassle on top of all the other hassle imo.

You are talking about the footpath police here tinny, they are more like Hitler than Hitler was.
Best thing to do is "find" a newt where they are working and report them to the newt police.

Right of Way - exactly how are they defining that? You need to see writen proof of what type they are planning. ie public footpath or bridle way which means horses can use the path.

Here we are in a National Park who maintain the coastal and the inland pathways. They have opened some pathways up which hadnt been used for many years.

3-25-2012_099-1.jpg

This is the style they errect, foot boards to make it easier for people to climb. The centre wooden vertical bar on the right is in a slide so that the owner can lift it up to allow their dogs to pass through.

you will be able to nothing to stop them unless you have a bottomless wallet
we had a old path opened p here about 5 year ago
we tried everything we could without spending a major ammount of money and failed
the path they opened hadnt been used in over 70 years!!

I though a right of way was lost if it hasn't been used in 7years
now i might be wrong !

will look in to that one. the lad said (fair play, he was quite understanding and only doing his job) that his boss had walked it in march, which he didn't as there's an impassible hedge where the path used to run, and if he made it past there it was only through the gate 100 yards up!! Not sure if he can use that, or if we can use our side of it!

You are talking about the footpath police here tinny, they are more like Hitler than Hitler was.
Best thing to do is "find" a newt where they are working and report them to the newt police.

trouble is, where the newt police go so do all kinds of other hassle down the line! considered it myself!! or at least some rare plant!!!;)

He told me that volunteers would be doing most of the work, but that they would be getting a contractor in for the bridge as it would be too big, cant imagine any bridge costing less than £5000 between everything.
So money for a bridge to cut 300 meters off a quite nice stroll on the lane, and closures for local leisure centre.... makes sense no???:no:

you will be able to nothing to stop them unless you have a bottomless wallet
we had a old path opened p here about 5 year ago
we tried everything we could without spending a major ammount of money and failed
the path they opened hadnt been used in over 70 years!!

got that up before I saw it, game over then you reccon?

did you get much say in regards to the workmanship and the way they were doing things? they want to go through 4 fairly new wire fences not to mention the hedges. tried telling him to get them to go over the top, but he says that they need to be kissing gates for easy access! having visions of sagging wire!!

Using volunteers?
You do know that means job creation people that have to do it or lose their dole?
A mate of mine used to be the supervisor (carer/probation officer more like) of one of these groups of "volunteers", I do know the sort of folk that will be turning up.
They are not going to be trustworthy tree hugging hippies. :laugh:

Said they were retired mostly, and looking for something to do.

must offer them some work mucking out here, not so sure they'll jump at that!!

tempted to sit there watching them when they do, just to make sure. already had a game keeper ruining a fence by 'putting in a new gate' with a stupidly small post hardly buried and half stapled put in before cutting the wire!

They've started on this path. first thing they've done is put wire cutters through the pig wire and barbed wire, whole fence is slack. what has really angred me is that when I pointed out that they had now ruined my fence some old t##t spouted up saying that it would be fine, and that I would be able to get a tune from it by the time theyed finished. Who the F#### does he think he is. must ask where they live and put a chainsaw through his picket fence!! we don't spend a fortune on fences and maintaining our boundaries for the likes of them to ruin them!!

Is there no law over there to stop em from doing that sort of thing ,that wud sicken my sh1t now to be looking at em on my land. A good coat of slurry in that field is needed i think!

They've started on this path. first thing they've done is put wire cutters through the pig wire and barbed wire, whole fence is slack. what has really angred me is that when I pointed out that they had now ruined my fence some old t##t spouted up saying that it would be fine, and that I would be able to get a tune from it by the time theyed finished. Who the F#### does he think he is. must ask where they live and put a chainsaw through his picket fence!! we don't spend a fortune on fences and maintaining our boundaries for the likes of them to ruin them!!

I couldnt see the likes of that shite happening here..someone would end up geting shot or something...Id say you were biting your tounge when he said that..cheeky twat:angry:

I couldnt see the likes of that shite happening here..someone would end up geting shot or something...Id say you were biting your tounge when he said that..cheeky twat:angry:

I honestly don't get angry with people easily, but I had to leave before I said something daft!

they even thought a small half round post would do as a new strainer! when It was pointed out that a 7' post buried 3 ft down was needed, they almost fell! :angry::angry:

Its the lack of cooperation from the council towards the landowner that has really bugged us the most, The manager just couldn't understand that we could potentially lose money if they start cutting our hedges without consent from the welsh office!, it was as if he just didn't give a dam!

My god, cant believe they are aloud to do this, i can imagine your frustration,
i thought like dstig said if it wasn't used for 7 years it was then closed,
had a quick look on the net acording to what i found on defra site, hedges are excempt when it comes to foot path maintance, and cutting them back as often as needed is acceptable when maintaining a right of way,
we suffer during shooting season with ramblers and all, we put signs up on the morning, but on turning up for a drive you can guarantee, mr or mrs, strolls wherever they feel like, has done the drive for you, with their mad dog 3 miles in front of them! driving pheasants over to the neighboring land, :no: we put a sign up saying these sheep are carrying campylobactor which you and your dog can catch, please ensure your dog doesnt eat any dung and wash your hands etc, put 90% off walking it,
i recon dstig has a good idea to put slurry across the field, make their job as unpleasant as you legally can, any chicken farmers near by wanting to off load some dung :laugh:

just sit down with them and ask them how much they charging and tell them you want 75% of it for compensation for loss of grazing.take pictures of turn stiles and keep sending them to them till they **** off!!!!!!!!! keep wrecking their heads everyday and take photos of people walking off the path.dont give up and dont sign nothing for no one! we've the problem with duchas there ****ing off now because we broke their hearts!!!!!!

Sadly in the UK any path can be reclaimed and the landowner is lucky if he does not get charged for the costs
there needs to be 20 years non use to exclude any right but I can guarranttee that if you make an application you will find there will be more than one of these Zealots who will sign a statement that they have walked this path regularly for 50 years
you are on a lose lose situation I am afraid
We had a pth which we could prove had not been used since the 1950`s the trees Brambles and blckthorne were thirty feet high and not a dog could have got through but we had to clear it
in the middle we found a car which had been abandoned in the 1930`s

Sadly in the UK any path can be reclaimed and the landowner is lucky if he does not get charged for the costs
there needs to be 20 years non use to exclude any right but I can guarranttee that if you make an application you will find there will be more than one of these Zealots who will sign a statement that they have walked this path regularly for 50 years
you are on a lose lose situation I am afraid
We had a pth which we could prove had not been used since the 1950`s the trees Brambles and blckthorne were thirty feet high and not a dog could have got through but we had to clear it
in the middle we found a car which had been abandoned in the 1930`s

first thing the boss of the department said was that he had walked it a few months previously!! which he also blatently hadnt, he had walked to th hedge, all the way round through our gate,then on again!

discovered that someone i the area organises 'circular walks' from a local vilage car park round diferent places, so we have our suspitions as to why it's beeing done!! wonder if their beeing payed.... wonder if the taxman knows!!

Might be a new dogging area!!! :P A good covering of slurry when they are there each time would soon get rid of them methinks :)

Well, after running out of money having built the first style, their back.....!

In these times of austerity and money saving they need to build a 4meter bridge over a river for this project. Anyone wan't to price one for me? Must be a minimum of £5k for a council?

Anyhow, latest plan is to put a counter on the bridge, them make a freedom of information request on how much it has cost for no one to walk the path!

In the middle of a facebook debate with a 'rambling society' at the mo, regarding the huge amount of funds going into re opening these paths.

Anyhow, they recon that we should have free access to all the countryside, like in Scotland.

What do our Scottish members have to say about right to roam?

Ive read this thread. And now im rightly pissed off.

Id dont envy your situation AYF.

This is what £16k in public money gets you to cross a river with!!

20150828_200458.jpg

20150828_200231.jpg
To give it scale, I'm 6ft, and standing on the concrete pad, the top handrail is at eye level!

They have created a retaining wall for the bank on my side, sank in two rock cages either side, with a re enforced concrete pads on top either side. Then a bridge by these lads built on top
http://rangerfootbridge.co.uk/latestNews.php

The only good thing out of this is that it is a local firm doing the works.

Back