Sheep Shearing Trailers

First thing to think about is ease of setting up the trailer and then packing it after the job, so much better if everything is light and easy:yes:
Ease of filling it with sheep would be second thing.

There are some badly thought out trailers being built:thumbdown:

This is a nice simple trailer:thumbup2:

http://shearingtrailers.com

Was going too say the same as 8340!! quite a few about this end.

how many you want shearing? have seen two of those trailers end to end before, worked well.

if you really want to spend get a raised one, with jack legs for leveling, and raised boards, easier on the wool packers too!!!

looks the same as the George mudge trailer, if link's work? although maybe a standard design, i dont know?
http://georgemudgeshearing.co.uk/product.php?id=186
http://georgemudgeshearing.co.uk/productsimages/8.jpg

not sure if it is the same as what you mean AYF, but a group one year came out with a raised one, sheep ran up it to waste height, 4 could work around it, and it was much easier on them, the sides would fold down with the sheep as they took them out and almost made turning them over effortless, they went in easier to, as they ran up and round a slight bend, don't know who made it though, although i think it may have been a new zealand design, had a separate attachment for gassing lambs tails off too. looked like it cost a bit.

looks the same as the George mudge trailer, if link's work? although maybe a standard design, i dont know?
http://georgemudgeshearing.co.uk/product.php?id=186
http://georgemudgeshearing.co.uk/productsimages/8.jpg

not sure if it is the same as what you mean AYF, but a group one year came out with a raised one, sheep ran up it to waste height, 4 could work around it, and it was much easier on them, the sides would fold down with the sheep as they took them out and almost made turning them over effortless, they went in easier to, as they ran up and round a slight bend, don't know who made it though, although i think it may have been a new zealand design, had a separate attachment for gassing lambs tails off too. looked like it cost a bit.

this the kind you mean Ovine??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1_FzFA8NrE"]shepherdease 3 stand shearing trailer.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

the one our lads use is basically a bigger version of the standard design ones in your link, just that it's off the ground a good 2 ft, makes the shearing boards flexible so they'r easier to stand on all day.
A friend of mine uses a drop down one like above, likes it allot, not sure how easy a stubborn Suffolk would move up into it mind you!!

Yep that's the exact one, was impressed by this although felt sorry for the first sheep being used as a lure :001_smile:, i don't shear ours myself get someone in, i can manage at best 10 an hour, so pretty slow and sheep looks like a poodle when i'm done. ours are a bit of a mixed bunch and their are some stubborn Texals and Suffolk in with them, wonder at times why we bother to keep them ones, although they make nice lambs they are ignorant, run into you, go the wrong way when all others go the right way :D, yep had to give them ones some persuasion to go up, but most seem to go. anything that makes it better for a shearer though is a +, don't think this one is cheap though?

I don't shear much, but my cousin is talking of one. He'd be handy enough, he was talking of buying one, then muttered about making one, so i just was wondering was there much involved in making one, what was good or bad,

I don't shear much, but my cousin is talking of one. He'd be handy enough, he was talking of buying one, then muttered about making one, so i just was wondering was there much involved in making one, what was good or bad,

There is basically only 2 types:001_unsure:

The pen where the axle comes off and you shear on the ground.
Or the trailer which has jack stands on every corner and legs underneath the folding boards and you shear on a table basically.

The first one would be easy to make and easy to fold up at the end of the days shearing, But not so nice to shear on it as you are just on the floor and depending on the farm the floor could be anything:thumbdown: wool might get dirty on the floor too.

The 2nd one would be harder to build and a hassle to fold up,but better to shear on and easier to keep the wool clean and to bag it:thumbup:

I myself would try to make something inbetween the two:001_unsure:

Tell him to go for an off the ground one, the one our lads have is based on a ifor williams flatbead, not sure if he could build a de mount version for a trailer???

I made one will put a few pics up of her she is a two stall trailer made for a friend must be 2 years ago!!

Looking into making a shearing trailer,going with the pen type where you remove axle and wheels.
What I intend to make would be similar to the George mudge trailers.
What size wheels would be on them and are the stub axles sprung?

Looking into making a shearing trailer,going with the pen type where you remove axle and wheels.
What I intend to make would be similar to the George mudge trailers.
What size wheels would be on them and are the stub axles sprung?
Most 2 stand trailers round here are on small wheels. The type with 100mm pcd hubs. And I'd say sprung or else they'd bounce like mad on the road!

Most 2 stand trailers round here are on small wheels. The type with 100mm pcd hubs. And I'd say sprung or else they'd bounce like mad on the road!
Only thinking about this again, the only difficult thing is trying to incorporate removable axles with suspension. Would you know how they are done? A plain stub axle would be easily done, locate in a piece of box section.

We have 2 shearing trailers one is a mudge 27 years old and identical copy which I built over the winter a few years ago they are lifted with 2 legs and a winch and the stubs slide out each side, the original floor on the mudge was replaced about 10 years ago it was originaly expanded metal mesh and light box iron we replaced it with woven wire from a quarry screen and 60mm box with a 5mm wall the axel in both trailers was bought from agrigear as a complete axel we cut it in 2 and ran the tape down the inside of the box to the ends of the rubber (they are independent suspension axels) and cut them to make 2 stubs, the next dilema was we couldnt find box to slide them into so we actualy had to make a box section out of 2 lengths of angle. they work well the trailers are built heavy and get a lot of abuse and plenty of mileage and have to carry wool or a quad sometimes which they are not really fit for we replace bearings and tyres as they go on a regular basis, we are planning on making another it will most likely be like the pudge (simular names dont get confused) like in AYF's link, they are done like a boat and trailer, the plan is to have 2 axels under it or maby 1 heavy duty one to put up with the extra weight most lads like to swap wool partly to cover the cost of shearing now in recent years, the disadvantage of building it this design compared to what we have is that you have to build the pen a bit lighter to be able to slide it around into position for shearing because they are not as handy to drop exactly where you want to work espicaly in confined spaces, I have plenty of pictures of the build on an old phone ill have a look for it its hard to explain how it works without pictures!

Only thinking about this again, the only difficult thing is trying to incorporate removable axles with suspension. Would you know how they are done? A plain stub axle would be easily done, locate in a piece of box section.

Hang on. Just looked at ur question again!

Most have a chasis which the main trailer is winched onto. Like below

https://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/sheep-shearing-trailer.html
Thanks, I had seen that type. I would like to go with the removable stub type if i can. My thinking is that for tight places or where room is limited, the trailer can be positioned easily where required, with the other type you'd take up a lot more space between lowering the pen, and removing the towing chassis.

I have bought a set of those suspension units, unsure of the best approach to leaving them removable though.

Reactions: AYF
This is what Gator off TFF made, the wheels are still under it and the platform folds up. Maybe too big for your plans.
337368-2affce16484b4b40c5396fd46818dd48.jpg

328186-b2ea9af715abbb18ee2eaa54ee84d17f.jpg

This is what Gator off TFF made, the wheels are still under it and the platform folds up. Maybe too big for your plans.

Wonder what they'd draw up that ramp like, pretty high up on a ifor Williams??

We have 2 shearing trailers one is a mudge 27 years old and identical copy which I built over the winter a few years ago they are lifted with 2 legs and a winch and the stubs slide out each side, the original floor on the mudge was replaced about 10 years ago it was originaly expanded metal mesh and light box iron we replaced it with woven wire from a quarry screen and 60mm box with a 5mm wall the axel in both trailers was bought from agrigear as a complete axel we cut it in 2 and ran the tape down the inside of the box to the ends of the rubber (they are independent suspension axels) and cut them to make 2 stubs, the next dilema was we couldnt find box to slide them into so we actualy had to make a box section out of 2 lengths of angle. they work well the trailers are built heavy and get a lot of abuse and plenty of mileage and have to carry wool or a quad sometimes which they are not really fit for we replace bearings and tyres as they go on a regular basis, we are planning on making another it will most likely be like the pudge (simular names dont get confused) like in AYF's link, they are done like a boat and trailer, the plan is to have 2 axels under it or maby 1 heavy duty one to put up with the extra weight most lads like to swap wool partly to cover the cost of shearing now in recent years, the disadvantage of building it this design compared to what we have is that you have to build the pen a bit lighter to be able to slide it around into position for shearing because they are not as handy to drop exactly where you want to work espicaly in confined spaces, I have plenty of pictures of the build on an old phone ill have a look for it its hard to explain how it works without pictures!

That would be great if you could put up a few pictures of it.Did you remake the axles in the mudge trailer?

The suspension stubs i have bought have a square section 50x50 x 200mm long, I think i understand how you done the stub axles from your description, its a good way of doing them, if 50mm square two pieces of 60 x 60 x 5 angle would make the cross beam into which they would fit.

What size wheels have you on them? Is the draw bar removable?

I intend to make the trailer 8ft x 5ft, how are the legs done at the front for lifting the trailer?

Nice setup that, wouldnt have the numbers to justify though. Making the pen type, to eliminate having to drag the sheep to where the machine is setup

Back