concrete wall panels

i normanly use 20mm lacer bars about 12' apart, bend the bottom put 2 faceing 1 way and one the other and tie them 3 together in the wet concrete, wait till it sets and bend them back straight,
then if its a wall thats going to get some weight pushed against it tie cross bars and bend every 2nd 1 each way around the coners, a393 mesh can be used also, a little dearer but handy if you are doing it yourself
i use the 393 here, as you say, its handy.
i never bother with mesh for the std walls, id just drill 16mm holes in the base between the stanchions about 12" high and pour the wall, but i use 30n concrete for the walls, 35 for bases.

if its a dungstead ill weld the 393 mesh between the stanchions and pour the base round it, then just shutter it.

Last shed we done here put 1/2 " rebar every 3` up about 5`as wall was 6`high and tied 2 lenght`s between them going through the pillar`s , Shed is straw bedded so would be loading up against it and thought safer to put a bit of steel in it for the price of it
thats what ya did alright...:D

the re bar is supposed to have no more than 10-12" squares in them.
but anything is better than nothing.
it wont budge unless you hit it a merciful crack.

just hwen we are on about pouring walls.
that shed i put the pics up of,
i cut a waterbar between the stanchions in the base, a V shape about 2.5"-3" deep.
the customer didnt want the holes in the wall filled as he wanted to use then for some fixings.
but he tells me that the walls are leaking, not looking to have it sorted or anything but still mentioned it.
imo its not the walls that are leaking, unless the water is travelling through the water bar, id doubt it, but anything is possible. i guess.
id say the water is running through the holes and lying on the ground.
he has since filled the holes, but said it was the wall that was leaking.
i think he is a bit off the mark tbh.

i use the 393 here, as you say, its handy.
i never bother with mesh for the std walls, id just drill 16mm holes in the base between the stanchions about 12" high and pour the wall, but i use 30n concrete for the walls, 35 for bases.

if its a dungstead ill weld the 393 mesh between the stanchions and pour the base round it, then just shutter it.

We bend the botton 3 box sections with 2 rsj's into an L with the loader sit it into the foundation tie a few 3/4 L bars It makes quick work of putting down steel for silage walls and the likes

just hwen we are on about pouring walls.
that shed i put the pics up of,
i cut a waterbar between the stanchions in the base, a V shape about 2.5"-3" deep.
the customer didnt want the holes in the wall filled as he wanted to use then for some fixings.
but he tells me that the walls are leaking, not looking to have it sorted or anything but still mentioned it.
imo its not the walls that are leaking, unless the water is travelling through the water bar, id doubt it, but anything is possible. i guess.
id say the water is running through the holes and lying on the ground.
he has since filled the holes, but said it was the wall that was leaking.
i think he is a bit off the mark tbh.

Wall leaking :confused: Doubt very much it would get through the water bar when you cut it out as describred seen lad`s just scratch the base when pouring it with a trowel and having no trouble with water getting in. On the picture`s you posted you put a fair tasty finish on top of the wall most wall`s i ve seen around here would be very rough on top in comparrison also why didnt you bolt the timber to the top of the wall instead of bolting it to cleat`s

Wall leaking :confused: Doubt very much it would get through the water bar when you cut it out as describred seen lad`s just scratch the base when pouring it with a trowel and having no trouble with water getting in. On the picture`s you posted you put a fair tasty finish on top of the wall most wall`s i ve seen around here would be very rough on top in comparrison also why didnt you bolt the timber to the top of the wall instead of bolting it to cleat`s
id be thinking as much, it would be a better water bar than what would of been in some tanks.
but yer man would have his own notions.
id say it was the holes tbh.
he went round the outside of the walls and brushed on a mix of sand and cement to the joint, said that cured it.....
it looks a bit of a balls now, but its not my shed.

id never think of bolting the timber down to the wall tbh.
just bolt it to the cleats, quicker id imagine.
its not going anywhere.:001_unsure:

id be thinking as much, it would be a better water bar than what would of been in some tanks.
but yer man would have his own notions.
id say it was the holes tbh.
he went round the outside of the walls and brushed on a mix of sand and cement to the joint, said that cured it.....
it looks a bit of a balls now, but its not my shed.

id never think of bolting the timber down to the wall tbh.
just bolt it to the cleats, quicker id imagine.
its not going anywhere.:001_unsure:

a gallon of sika can cure a lot of probs,
had a similar problem with a job i done, turned out to be a gutter leaking and running down the pillar and seeping through

a gallon of sika can cure a lot of probs,
had a similar problem with a job i done, turned out to be a gutter leaking and running down the pillar and seeping through
sika stuff is great tack.
but i do wonder too when im spraying the likes of concrete sealer onto a wall, dose it work...
for all i know i might as well be spraying anything on it.
ive mostly used it on chimneys so you never really know if its curing the problem or not, or at least its hard to tell.
but i have faith, for now at least.

sika stuff is great tack.
but i do wonder too when im spraying the likes of concrete sealer onto a wall, dose it work...
for all i know i might as well be spraying anything on it.
ive mostly used it on chimneys so you never really know if its curing the problem or not, or at least its hard to tell.
but i have faith, for now at least.

When you say used it for chimneys, ad in painted the chimney to make sure damp won't come down into the house?? My builder was scratching his head what to do today, as the chimney is coming up through the roof rather than being built on the outside of the house!! And he has never done one like that! Painting it before the render would probably make sense! but would the render take the same??

When you say used it for chimneys, ad in painted the chimney to make sure damp won't come down into the house?? My builder was scratching his head what to do today, as the chimney is coming up through the roof rather than being built on the outside of the house!! And he has never done one like that! Painting it before the render would probably make sense! but would the render take the same??

thats new to me, i take it you used lead to seal the roof , :confused:

thats new to me, i take it you used lead to seal the roof , :confused:

worried about damp getting in above the lead and travelling down the brickwork. His plan is to put a dpc just below the roof line, but would water proofing the whole chimney help?? Think he is also concerned about the high winds we would get directly facing the chimney, and that a layer of dpc would be a weak point??

He confesses that he has not come across a chimney on the inside of an external wall before! most new houses have them up the outside, but me being me I like the look of a big chimney breast in a room, its what I've grown up with!!

is he using a lead chimney tray?, it will catch any moisture.

but yeah, the sika is just a spray on waterproofer, it just dries right in, wouldnt even know it was there...
i cant say for a 100 that you can plaster over it, but id imagine you can.

is it a brick chimney?

Thanks to a fellow member for a pm and the power of you tube I now know what he needs to do!!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdcYazFIio"]Chimney Flashing Fitting lead DPC Tray - YouTube[/ame]

Ahh.. you really saved me from a couple of bad decisions in my projects.
Thanks for sharing, guys.

@DaDonegalLad @Bencroy do you know anyone in the North West that supplies concrete wall panels. Maxwells in Castlederg do one's but you have to drill them and put in a thunder bolt to hold them in place. B. McCaffrey's in Derrylin do panels with a cast in socket to bolt them but the delivery would be a killer, they would leave them in Ederney for me to collect but it's still a good distance away. Any suppliers of them any further North of Enniskillen or West Tyrone/Derry regions

@DaDonegalLad @Bencroy do you know anyone in the North West that supplies concrete wall panels. Maxwells in Castlederg do one's but you have to drill them and put in a thunder bolt to hold them in place. B. McCaffrey's in Derrylin do panels with a cast in socket to bolt them but the delivery would be a killer, they would leave them in Ederney for me to collect but it's still a good distance away. Any suppliers of them any further North of Enniskillen or West Tyrone/Derry regions
Did you try Lafferty in killygordon(multicrete). Know the local co-op has the paneling inside the shed could ask them where they got them but probably be Tuesday before I see someone who knows. Give me awhile I'll ask around here

After mccaffreys I don't know of anyone's between here and you, although Creagh concrete would be worth a call as they do them but would be a good journey from you aswell.

Did you try Lafferty in killygordon(multicrete). Know the local co-op has the paneling inside the shed could ask them where they got them but probably be Tuesday before I see someone who knows. Give me awhile I'll ask around here
I was in with Lafferty today, but he doesn't do them, is there Harkin's around Burt/Burnfoot direction that made slats, are they still operating

After mccaffreys I don't know of anyone's between here and you, although Creagh concrete would be worth a call as they do them but would be a good journey from you aswell.
Creagh might be worth a call, there would be plenty of lorries passing their yard coming from the boat in Belfast going my way

I’d drill them and use resin anchors,if you use an Urko type clamp to hold them up you can put a few in place then having the holes drilled ready only use one nozzle.

I’d drill them and use resin anchors,if you use an Urko type clamp to hold them up you can put a few in place then having the holes drilled ready only use one nozzle.
I used thunder bolts a few years ago to hand a gate and I've noticed this past few weeks that they are pulling out of the hole, that's what is putting me of the panels that you drill. Is the resin any better

I used thunder bolts a few years ago to hand a gate and I've noticed this past few weeks that they are pulling out of the hole, that's what is putting me of the panels that you drill. Is the resin any better
Yes resin is far better,just don’t drill too deep or you blow the back out of them.

O Reillys in kingscourt would have them. They had them in the past anyway. They'd be bringing hollowcore up your way on a regular enough basis so it shouldn't be that big of job to get them to deliver to your door.

Looking at a project in my garden.
Currently have an earth bank in front of the house with a slope down to the field. Lets say 1m high

I need to do something with it as it looks a mess. Have tried growing shrubs on it, but it's location means the wind just knocks anything and I wind up with weeds and a lot of striming.

One plan is to dig it back, make a retaining wall from panels, then face them with stone.
Leaving room for the garden mower to go between the stone facing and the fence.

Can panels be faced?
Presume I'd need to drill ties in to the panel to support the wall?

Or am I as well to just build a concrete and stone retaining wall?

I see L shaped panels, seconds,, about 1m high, advertised for reasonable enough money. They would be ideal.

Back