The older masseys

Peter

Seeing as nash has a thread about landinis ,I thought id start one about the older masseys:thumbup2:
Heres a good video of a 165 at silage [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCW84fRkxTM"]Back to lend a hand. - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry fp, that link isn't working. If it was put to a vote I'd say the 100 series Mf's are one of the greatest ranges of tractors of any of the manufactures ever made only outdone ever so slightly by the 300 series. [MENTION=4449]SMID[/MENTION] might have his own opinion on the MF's?.

Sorry fp, that link isn't working. If it was put to a vote I'd say the 100 series Mf's are one of the greatest ranges of tractors of any of the manufactures ever made only outdone ever so slightly by the 300 series. [MENTION=4449]SMID[/MENTION] might have his own opinion on the MF's?.

I don't know where im going wrong now posting links but just type in back to lend a hand

Definitely agree with you on the MF 100 series.

168 and 148 would be my pick of the range.

Aye was lucky enough to have some good ones 185 was my first new one waited 7months for it [time of all the strikes] bog standard £1956.:thumbup2:

Aye was lucky enough to have some good ones 185 was my first new one waited 7months for it [time of all the strikes] bog standard £1956.:thumbup2:

The 168 which we still have was our first mf and it cost the princely sum of £3400. Tis worth more now and it's in shite then it was new over 40 years ago:cool:. I suppose the same tractor new today would be in excess of 40 grand?.

Definitely agree with you on the MF 100 series.

168 and 148 would be my pick of the range.

Uncle has a 165 which done a sight of work :yes:
Cab has rotted off but it has got a rollbar on,years ago when my father built the first slurry tank hed no agitator so he emptied about half of it and then lifted in the 165 in with the 50 digger and drove it around in the slurry until he was able to spread it
Getting it out was a problem though:eek:

The 168 which we still have was our first mf and it cost the princely sum of £3400. Tis worth more now and it's in shite then it was new over 40 years ago:cool:. I suppose the same tractor new today would be in excess of 40 grand?.
That be one of the last o them DP ? ours was a76 was to be an other 185 but 168 was at a pre price increase multi power ipto rigid cab so it was same price as standard 185

That be one of the last o them DP ? ours was a76 was to be an other 185 but 168 was at a pre price increase multi power ipto rigid cab so it was same price as standard 185

Not to sure where the 168 fits in Smid, it was registered in '74 but the uncle said it was around for a bit before that and thinks it was '72 when it was bought. No multi power, just a plain old 8 speed box in her.

Not to sure where the 168 fits in Smid, it was registered in '74 but the uncle said it was around for a bit before that and thinks it was '72 when it was bought. No multi power, just a plain old 8 speed box in her.

Do ye still draw in silage with her dp?

We never actually used it to draw in fp. It spent 30 years shoving up on the pits before we got uppish in ourselves and went self propel so the 168 was waylaid. It might draw in the odd load at the end for a laugh.

No bother to her :thumbup:

No bother to her :thumbup:

The hydraulics let her down a bit, slow to tip and even slower the drop the trailer. It is fair easy on diesel though. I had it and the 362 on 2 identical dung spreaders last year and the 362 used 20 litres more diesel and it spread less loads then the 168.

The hydraulics let her down a bit, slow to tip and even slower the drop the trailer. It is fair easy on diesel though. I had it and the 362 on 2 identical dung spreaders last year and the 362 used 20 litres more diesel and it spread less loads then the 168.

The 265 is fairly light on diesel too thankfully with the price of it :no:
il nearly have to go back to using her more if it gets much dearer

Always had a soft spot for the 100 series, wouldn't mind a 188 for dossing around with. Might even give it the odd spin on the lime spreader :thumbup:
When I was a chap we had a 135 and a 3000 at home, the neighbours had a 165, I thought it was the business. I remember getting a lend of it one Spring to till for barley when the 135 was sick, walked away with our tillage train which consister of a triple K harrow with a chain harrow tied behind it. The poor aul 135 used to be huffing and puffing with it.

Always had a soft spot for the 100 series, wouldn't mind a 188 for dossing around with. Might even give it the odd spin on the lime spreader :thumbup:
When I was a chap(that ever so long ago though) we had a 135 and a 3000 at home, the neighbours had a 165, I thought it was the business. I remember getting a lend of it one Spring to till for barley when the 135 was sick, walked away with our tillage train which consister of a triple K harrow with a chain harrow tied behind it. The poor aul 135 used to be huffing and puffing with it.

Fixed that for ya [MENTION=3007]Tippcon[/MENTION] :lol::lol:

There were 100 series Masseys sold in Ireland in 1979, and the first of the 200 series appeared around April- may id say . There were very few 500 series sold new here, price was the big issue, suffer the noise and dust but keep the money small. I drew silage in 1983 with a 1977 188 8 speed , there was a 1974 188 8 speed on the push off rake and a 1976 Ford 7600 driving the double chop, DP should know who had them, they were within 2 miles of him. Incidentley here in Ireland, SMID, the multipower gearbox was considered the work of the Devil, not many sold new ,most imports and sold cheaper. the poor relation. A man near me bought an MF 185 WITH A Perkins 6354 in it . Now there was the tractor MF should have made but didn't. Its on youtube, silage 09 uploaded by whoaman, sorry I cant do links.

One of the biggest problems round here was the massey main agent . 11x32s 0r 13x28s were the biggest tyre size they would sell. 4000s on12x36s and750s mabee didnae have as much grunt but traction wise it gave them the edge

There were 100 series Masseys sold in Ireland in 1979, and the first of the 200 series appeared around April- may id say . There were very few 500 series sold new here, price was the big issue, suffer the noise and dust but keep the money small. I drew silage in 1983 with a 1977 188 8 speed , there was a 1974 188 8 speed on the push off rake and a 1976 Ford 7600 driving the double chop, DP should know who had them, they were within 2 miles of him. Incidentley here in Ireland, SMID, the multipower gearbox was considered the work of the Devil, not many sold new ,most imports and sold cheaper. the poor relation. A man near me bought an MF 185 WITH A Perkins 6354 in it . Now there was the tractor MF should have made but didn't. Its on youtube, silage 09 uploaded by whoaman, sorry I cant do links.
Aye I always forget this date diference 1977 was the first of the 500s 595 might 76 but 100s stopped then for the lack of a q .cab. multi powers were an acquired taste you either loved them or hated them:yes:

Aye I always forget this date diference 1977 was the first of the 500s 595 might 76 but 100s stopped then for the lack of a q .cab. multi powers were an acquired taste you either loved them or hated them:yes:

Learned to drive on a MP 135 so never had a problem with it, but as JF said it was regarded by many as the work of the devil. Even a lot of the imported ones had the multi-power blanked off, they were all locked in the high range. It was grand for ploughing or tilling, but didn't suit every job. Not great for square baling on steep ground, that's why we always used the 3000 :D

Learned to drive on a MP 135 so never had a problem with it, but as JF said it was regarded by many as the work of the devil. Even a lot of the imported ones had the multi-power blanked off, they were all locked in the high range. It was grand for ploughing or tilling, but didn't suit every job. Not great for square baling on steep ground, that's why we always used the 3000 :D

Extra speed could be handy whiles ,Uncle had a 35x same time as ours for some reason his was a fraction faster 2 35xs side by side on the A70 I chickened out after 1/4 mile at the first corner and let him in.:sweatdrop:

My grandfather bought 2 new 168s back in the day.
One of them landed in for the first service 3 days after it went out.

They had 2 168
A 165
And a 2680
The best of the fleet was a 3130 Deere tho

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

My grandfather bought 2 new 168s back in the day.
One of them landed in for the first service 3 days after it went out.

They had 2 168
A 165
And a 2680
The best of the fleet was a 3130 Deere tho

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Fair fleet,have ye still got them?

Back