Spring Barley - General Thread

11 stone to the acre, TGW is 47 so it should be okay I think as I'm pretty sure TGW was over 50 last year.

That is the plan anyway!

Was planning on sowing a shake under 11 and half stone tomorrow here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sowed at 11.7 today here, propino with tgw of 52 ...there was waves of dust falling down the windscreen, what a difference a week makes!!

I was going with propino @ 65kg/ac hopefully tomorrow

What sort of units of N are you fellas putting on ?

I was trying to put 3 bags of 10-10-20 down the spout with the seed, ended up putting about 140kg per acre so that's around 28 units of N I think.

Paustian (the 48g) went in at 73kg/acre. 2.3 bags/acre of 10.10.20 was mixed into the seed bed. No fert in the seedbed where the P is very high.

Planning to roll it today.

Great weather for the job!

Paustian (the 48g) went in at 73kg/acre. 2.3 bags/acre of 10.10.20 was mixed into the seed bed. No fert in the seedbed where the P is very high.

Planning to roll it today.

Great weather for the job!

With plenty of dust rising thanks to [MENTION=4666]imokilly[/MENTION]

[MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4666]imokilly[/MENTION] many thanks for yesterdays opportunity, photos to come shortly

Sowed half at 11.3 stone. Sowing the other half at 11.5. Dryin very well.

Spread out 2.9 bags of 13-6-20+s on most and 2.3 bags of 19-0-15 on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cork why do you hold back the fert where the P is high? Would you not apply some N straight anyway?

I have 60 units of N in the seedbed and P and K if required . I was sowing 10.5 stone but if you experts are using more so will I .

Cork why do you hold back the fert where the P is high? Would you not apply some N straight anyway?

[MENTION=1844]towbar[/MENTION]

I'm not completely sold on the idea of N in the seedbed of cereals, I feel that there is plenty of time (and less chance of leeching) to put it on once the tram lines are visible. Also more accurate with tramlines. P on the other hand is different. Its vital in the early stages of growth.

The fields where I didn't apply P have very high levels and have yielded 3.8-3.9t/ac of spring barley on a couple of occasions.

The land which got it in the seedbed has high P but has P lockup due to high pH (carbonates I think).

This is the first time we have ever put fertilizer in a spring barley seedbed.

That's my reasoning, I could be wrong of course! You know me - I have loads of theories!

Planted propino at 11 stone seedbed was fantastic, dust was crazy!!!!

Finished here yesterday, 11.6 stone all propino. 20 acres to roll yet, pulled the roller with the paddles on it yesterday morn (before god woke up) put on d fert and set then, had to give d eve spraying in a panic, winter barley had rhynco and needed terpal badly. Just maize and grasseeds to go in now. Seem a few tractors working today up the midlands by the motorway, being dragged shopping to Kildare village, I'd rather be picking stones!

Finished here yesterday, 11.6 stone all propino. 20 acres to roll yet, pulled the roller with the paddles on it yesterday morn (before god woke up) put on d fert and set then, had to give d eve spraying in a panic, winter barley had rhynco and needed terpal badly. Just maize and grasseeds to go in now. Seem a few tractors working today up the midlands by the motorway, being dragged shopping to Kildare village, I'd rather be picking stones!

Why didn't you say? I could have gone to Kildare for you and you could have picked the stones here! Last and only time I was in Kildare village, I stayed in the car!

[MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] When ur going back down call in il sell you some oats seed before the mice eat it ....

Sowed spring barley after blackcurrants at 220kg/ha this morning.fairly wet and it's home saved seed not tested or.dressed

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Most seed gone in at 10.5 to 11 stone for hire , we are going in at 12 stone but it's not dressed . Have half a field with certified mickle at 10.5 and taberna at 12 stone so we will see how it goes . All ground has got 3 bags 5/6/35 , but from now on the rest will be getting grain master ( can't think of n/p/k thinks it's 12/8/24 with loads of other stuff )

Back