Broadband

muckymanor

lads, who are ye using for your broadband and what is it costing ye?

We have no phone line in the house and have been with 3 for the last couple of years. Since the National broadband thingy stopped, our broadband quality and speed has seriously reduced and they are charging us more per month.

I'm on the verge of making a change. Anyone using satellite broadband? Have I any other viable options?

would this be your broadband in africa, NZ, france, poland, united kingdom or ireland ?

have wireless from lightnet, they do a good bit around galway and clare, its not too bad. we are that little bit too far from exchange for eircom to work right

check to see if there's and local wireless providers, or other 3g options locally.

we could probably offer local suggestions if you narrowed down "Ireland" a little :)

Have 20Mb from Nova networks in Cork. Speedtest is giving about 18Mb. Comes in through a small dish on the roof - not sure if this is Satellite broadband?

http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/

Service is excellent. Not sure if they supply in your county? (please put your location on your profile.... )

Have 20Mb from Nova networks in Cork. Speedtest is giving about 18Mb. Comes in through a small dish on the roof - not sure if this is Satellite broadband?

http://www.novabroadband.ie/w/

Service is excellent. Not sure if they supply in your county? (please put your location on your profile.... )

We are with Airwave here. So far so good. Much better than the last gangster anywho :whistling:

My house is on Digiweb on 30 G @€35 a month The office is on Reach I think it a low limit but seems fast enough and my brother uses Aptus and is very happy with them . My Digiweb varies a lot .

im with eircom here, and only because i dont have any other choice tbh for id drop them like a hot stone if something else came up.
speeds here used to be bad until i got them to change a few wires and i cut down the connections between here and the pole, there is a grand total of 0 connections between the socket on the wall and the pole now and the speed is up from 1.1mb to 2.6 so its just about ok.

i can see truskmore from the house here so i got a lad out that was doing broadband as they have a transmitter on the mast, turns out after all the hot air its too far away.:rolleyes:.
as for the satellite services, there isnt anyone who really covers this area and there always seems to be a catch in the small print either congestion rates or download limits amongst other things.
very few offer a trial period either.

its a wonder sky havnt started broadband in the country.

60 dabs a month for this with eircom and its only that good because i made it so.
house up the road 500mtrs away is on 0.43mb

but even so, its piss poor.

4039029623.png

60 dabs a month for this with eircom and its only that good because i made it so.
house up the road 500mtrs away is on 0.43mb

but even so, its piss poor.

4039029623.png
The thing about Eircom though is (I presume) you are getting that consistently. I am with Permanet and at quieter times its close to 4mb, busier times it can be under 1mb.

The thing about Eircom though is (I presume) you are getting that consistently. I am with Permanet and at quieter times its close to 4mb, busier times it can be under 1mb.
yes it id be constantly that and in fairness to it, if it drops which is rare enough now its only for 2 mins.

lightening hit a pole somewhere 10 days before christmas there and fried a lot of stuff on the road here, there is eight houses with no tellys alone along with a fair few computers, mine included that got a roasting.
out of 11 houses 8 had no phone but after replacing my wall socket which was black, it was up and running and is since even tho the engineers that spent two weeks round here fixing the damage told me that it had blown out of the phone line in eight places between here and town which is 3 miles away.
in the ducting on the underground bit of it, about 2 mls.
even so, as sick of them as i am, it could of been a lot worse.
some aren't back working yet.

What is 4g anyway ?
premier broadband here @30 a month I think,ive a aerial on the roof to catch the signal from the mast its very fast :thumbup:

4g is the faster version of the mobile data connection, While it's only being rolled out nationwide,Where it is availible, It's roughly twice/three times as quick as 3g.

4g is the faster version of the mobile data connection, While it's only being rolled out nationwide,Where it is availible, It's roughly twice/three times as quick as 3g.

I have it here on my phone a lot of the time.

yes it id be constantly that and in fairness to it, if it drops which is rare enough now its only for 2 mins.

lightening hit a pole somewhere 10 days before christmas there and fried a lot of stuff on the road here, there is eight houses with no tellys alone along with a fair few computers, mine included that got a roasting.
out of 11 houses 8 had no phone but after replacing my wall socket which was black, it was up and running and is since even tho the engineers that spent two weeks round here fixing the damage told me that it had blown out of the phone line in eight places between here and town which is 3 miles away.
in the ducting on the underground bit of it, about 2 mls.
even so, as sick of them as i am, it could of been a lot worse.
some aren't back working yet.

Tbh, if I was getting that from Eircom here, I would nearly go back to them, last time I was with them 1mb was the max for the line.

they dont have it in either of them places.
the map your looking at is only a network prediction, .... read the small print hi...

you sure? i think that is to try and protect them if certain areas within that coloured area do not have coverage. but then again i can't see them providing 4g in pretty rural areas before they'd have it up and running in places like letterkenny, or even sligo?:confused:

makes no sense.

Back