Spring Wheat

nashmach

Lads, we have different threads for spring and winter barley and in my view the differences in wheat are even more for the two types so might be no harm to have a separate thread here.

I don't have anything to contribute this year so will leave it to the sages:thumbup:

Good idea. I think the spring wheat area is up a nice bit due to the 3 crop rule. Also the two new varieties Doubleshot and Quintus might create commentary.

Only bit of spring wheat that I have is the plots. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• WP_20150521_007.jpg
    WP_20150521_007.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 50
The Doubleshot Spring wheat is still nice and green and free of Mildew . The top part of the field has some resistant poppies but should not be too much of a problem to the crop but might be in future years .
20150613_213858.jpg

The Doubleshot Spring wheat is still nice and green and free of Mildew . The top part of the field has some resistant poppies but should not be too much of a problem to the crop but might be in future years .
20150613_213858.jpg

When was that sowed Bog Man? Plenty of fillers there anyway :thumbup:

Nice wheat bog man, what kind of fungicide programme did you choose, I did .5 generic opus and .2 talius at 31 and 1.2 adexar at flag leaf, I may have got away with less or no t1.

back in the days of beet we used to always grow spring wheat and got on very well with it, regularly got 4t/ac. our first spray was generally a litre of bravo

How much nitrogen would yes lads be putting on Spring Wheat out of curiosity?

I have 140 units on it and I will find out what Chemistry went on it but it is dark green with no disease but it has a scattering of Brome and some resistant poppie .

How is spring wheat looking lads?

Looking fine here, plenty of mildew pressure. Ideal weather for fusarium too and the wheat is flowering.....

Doubleshot and Quintus had their best ever year in trials in 2012 (relative to the others) and that year had gigantic fusarium pressure.

Been looking at some spring wheat locally and it is very short.

Is that common in most places this year lads?

Been looking at some spring wheat locally and it is very short.

Is that common in most places this year lads?

Ours got CCC twice and it is not that short . We gave it a third Spray which has stood to it in this wet weather . Grainfill seems to be progressing well . A few poppies are adding to the biodiversity :whistle:.

Fusarium stem infection on spring wheat this morning. Some eyespot too. Heavy wet soil.

Orange blossom midge larvae rare enough here. Out on the awns of the wheat trying to get away from the wet.

Attachments

• WP_20150724_006.jpg
    WP_20150724_006.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 47
  • WP_20150724_005.jpg
    WP_20150724_005.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 50
Cut this Quintos on Saturday, it did slightly over 3.8 ton at around 18 % ( have to wait for confirmation from oven test). It looked thin early on as it suffered a bit from being set deep, but there was a savage number of grains per head.

This is our Quintos from 26June, got a land when we saw the awns !!

Attachments

• 2015Wheat.jpg
    2015Wheat.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 124
Cut this Quintos on Saturday, it did slightly over 3.8 ton at around 18 % ( have to wait for confirmation from oven test). It looked thin early on as it suffered a bit from being set deep, but there was a savage number of grains per head.

Nice pic and good looking crop but why in hells name did that combine driver not just go up the outside edge instead of splitting off a width and a half?

Nice pic and good looking crop but why in hells name did that combine driver not just go up the outside edge instead of splitting off a width and a half?

And there was me wondering the same, I taught there was some technical reason as is a machine I have never driven. So is there a reason??

How much cheaper can a crop of spring wheat be grown over winter??

Are you sure its a width and a half? It might actually fit looking at the pic closely. He likes straight swathes of straw.

Back