Broadband

Got a grand letter from sky the other day explaining why they were intending to take more money from me and how it would be funding their improvements to services that I don't avail of,:angry: also how they wanted me to be the FIRST to know about their fibre network coming to my area, now I thought to myself that the man in the moon had a better chance of arriving here so I rang them to see what the story was, as expected they could not say when if ever it would be available.

Got that letter too. Was it a 10% rise in fees? Cant remember exactly but after 5-6 years with them I think I will finish up and just go with Saorview.

Most of what we watch is on RTE anyway!

A question, if I end my SKY subscription, will I still get channels like RTE, BBC and C4 through my SKY box and dish? I'm not connected to a phone line.
Edit - just found how! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYk9T1vNd-Q

No RTEs though...

Got that letter too. Was it a 10% rise in fees? Cant remember exactly but after 5-6 years with them I think I will finish up and just go with Saorview.

Most of what we watch is on RTE anyway!
I heard of people ringing up to cancel and being offered a better deal, not sure how true that is.

Note [MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION], if your tv has a digital tuner in it, all you need is an aerial on the roof that plugs straight into your tv to get saorview, tune it in just like the old days :thumbup:
Thats not the old days.. this is the old days. :crying:

Attachments

• rabbitears.jpg
    rabbitears.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 11
Note [MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION], if your tv has a digital tuner in it, all you need is an aerial on the roof that plugs straight into your tv to get saorview, tune it in just like the old days :thumbup:

I honestly haven't a clue what it can or will do. I might just get an expert out to set it all up on Saorview. I get brain fatigue very quickly researching stuff like this....

Another question - I bought my TV's in the North back when £ and € were almost equal.

The Sony worked no problem but the Panasonic never worked as it had UK channels preprogrammed into it - it wouldn't display the Irish channels. (maybe it was a Unionist TV :D).
Is there any cure for this? The 32" Bravia has sat idle for 5-6 years now...

Thats not the old days.. this is the old days. :crying:

Now your bringing me back, this is the first tv I remember, always remember the little red, green and blue dots:

342141_0_original.jpg

I honestly haven't a clue what it can or will do. I might just get an expert out to set it all up on Saorview. I get brain fatigue very quickly researching stuff like this....

Another question - I bought my TV's in the North back when £ and € were almost equal.

The Sony worked no problem but the Panasonic never worked as it had UK channels preprogrammed into it - it wouldn't display the Irish channels. (maybe it was a Unionist TV :D).

It's honestly not that difficult, very little to it. Just move the aerial til your getting channels coming through when on auto scan.

I think the best thing to do is to give it to myself, that's the cure :thumbup:

I'm with candor, I'm no technology expert but got the parents one set up no bother on my own.

Only difficulty I had was with the tuning but a quick walk down the road to outside the neighbours had that sorted!

I heard of people ringing up to cancel and being offered a better deal, not sure how true that is.
you can believe it.

they cut me off one day about 6 months ago, i was changing accounts from NIB to AIB and the DD didnt go through, only a glitch but by god they were swift enough to switch it off.
im with them for over 15 years and if they ever had to look for money it was only once or twice.
no matter, this time they didnt even send out a letter, just nipped her off.

now i was annoyed,
VERY annoyed when i rang, and after a few lame excuses i told him to leave it off if they were that fond of it.
next thing im being asked was i sure i wanted to cut it off and as soon as i said yeah, i was transferred to the disconnection dept, and 10 mins later im hanging up with 8 mths @ half price.

U should be able to change the sat so it will tune Irish saorview

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That would be the norm here, how come 2 different servers?
the server end of it seems to be just random tbh.

o heidins one a few posts ago was in enniskillen.
times id get there but mostly id get derry, or galway, and sometimes dublin.

You can select the server you're testing against, the idea being that the further you have to travel down the line the worse the ping will be (response time) but at lot can depend on what network the server is on, you can get slowness in the data centre too.

You can select the server you're testing against, the idea being that the further you have to travel down the line the worse the ping will be (response time) but at lot can depend on what network the server is on, you can get slowness in the data centre too.

Another question, is high or low ping number best,

Signed up with arden broadband this week and waiting for installation. \they have a transmitter close to here in line of sight. Have spoken to some people locally who have it. They are getting actual 1.5mb download, and 128 kb upload. Arden also offer 3 times the monthly usage of 3 who I am currently with.

Will report back when its installed. Only €95 installation.

Signed up with arden broadband this week and waiting for installation. \they have a transmitter close to here in line of sight. Have spoken to some people locally who have it. They are getting actual 1.5mb download, and 128 kb upload. Arden also offer 3 times the monthly usage of 3 who I am currently with.

Will report back when its installed. Only €95 installation.

[MENTION=5120]muckymanor[/MENTION] did you go with Arden afterall. If so how have you found them and what sort of monthly sub if you don't mind me asking. I'm asking as our contract with sky is coming up for renewal soon and looking around as not really that happy with them :no::no:

[MENTION=5120]muckymanor[/MENTION] did you go with Arden afterall. If so how have you found them and what sort of monthly sub if you don't mind me asking. I'm asking as our contract with sky is coming up for renewal soon and looking around as not really that happy with them :no::no:

Really happy with them. €24 per month. Have never done a speed test buy can watch netflix and other movie sites without interruption. Simple install and has been 100% reliable since it went in.

Point to point wifi bridge

Has any ever set up. Point to point wifi bridge , my own house I can't get fixed line broadband , but my parents house is about 2.5k away , with a line of site , it's vodafone they have , so what frequency antenna would I need ?

Back