the journal this week

humungus

seeing as there is a thread about classic tractor i thought we might as well have one on the farmers journal, there is a letter from 200 tilage farmers in cork this week i wonder are any of them on here:fish:,gerald potterton is always entertaining especially last week as he was on about pirelli calendars and there,s always dr jack:crying:

On the same page this week, food export values are up, farm incomes are down, discuss..:confused:

I was wondering who those tillage lads are, 200 is a lot. Well written article and I would fully agree with what they are saying, the arable sector has been left behind and are being treated as not wanted in this country really

The IFA and the IFJ are back to business as usual, full page back page add looking for farmers to top up Pat Smyth's pension.

Nah humungus is really Justin :D

On this Cork tillage issue, have they actually formed a group at this stage?

couple of very strong tillage groups in cork ,not involved (they are suspicious of dairy farmers doing tillage)but there is a very good group in the bandon kinsale area

I was wondering who those tillage lads are, 200 is a lot. Well written article and I would fully agree with what they are saying, the arable sector has been left behind and are being treated as not wanted in this country really

The push is on to get as much tillage land as possible into dairying,,there's far more value to be added to milk outside the farm gate than grain.

Well reading Agriland.ie today, the government wants to target another 2.5m acres for forestry [emoji107]

On the same page this week, food export values are up, farm incomes are down, discuss..:confused:

Sure of course they are!

Get the lads to pump it out impoverishing themselves to do it and you're on to a winner! :thumbup2:

The push is on to get as much tillage land as possible into dairying,,there's far more value to be added to milk outside the farm gate than grain.

That's what is happening and will happen going forward at the expense of the poor Tillage farmer. Must have a read of said letter later in the IFJ

Delighted with the editorial we got on our Grass Harrows on the Millstreet Show supplement. Every bit helps when you are a small business getting started.

Good to see that letter - some valid points made.

Was at a tillage conference in NI during the week. I couldn't but be impressed by the number of tillage farmers in attendance. Very supportive of their industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could post that reply in "The Future of Farming" thread..:whistle:

Yup but it bares remembering for the year thats in it.

This year we're looking inward, way more can be done here with way less and this year is the time to do it

Good to see that letter - some valid points made.

Was at a tillage conference in NI during the week. I couldn't but be impressed by the number of tillage farmers in attendance. Very supportive of their industry.

It seems reading elsewhere that there might be some movement on TAMS funding for the tillage sector.

It won't help profitability but at least makes the playing field level.

Article in this weeks Journal on the new trailer rules would have people believing that the ball and spoon coupling will allow an increase from 3 tons to 4 tons on the drawbar, this is only permissible if the tractor hitch is rated for 4 tons.

The Redrock article was interesting to say the least but missed other bits like the reflective tape back and sides and more on the market lights.

There was several other inaccuracies too in those articles I saw and no mention of tractor plating was a serious omission.

Not every yard will have a trailer that size, it would be more useful if it was done on other trailers too to give a sense of what needs to be done for others. From what I'm hearing and talking to lads, there's quite a bit of confusion out there on these rules at this stage.

The issue of a marker light on the RH side of trailers in a combination exceeding 10 metres is a bit confusing in terms of what is required, some articles would lead you to believe amber marking lights would suffice while others would seem to advocate a diffused white light not greater than 7 watt, also worthy of mention is the fact that they are supposed to face forward at an angle of 45 degrees.

I'm not sure but I think there might be some sort of a change coming in in the ball and spoon as its not quoted anywhere and the only reason myself and @Spanner heard it was at a meeting , mentioned it to one of the lads In the journal and the reply I got was "we know but don't want to open a can of worms "

someone should tell katherine o leary about the mess in the ifa, it seems nobody has told her about it as she hasn,t mentioned it in her column, i,ll bet tim goes out with his sandwiches every morning and she presumes he,s off to brussels or the farm centre

Back