Recommended varietes list

I heard it was a great presentation. SK is a great tillage man, v switched on in terms of the varieties.
Not sure if therell be any new barleys or oats added to the list. There should be a couple of wheats added.

That is a good read, thanks B.b.
I had a quick look through it this morning when I found it but it's long, some great easy points to take from it and the high-medium-low charts make it easy to understand and follow. I'm expecting the lists to be pretty similar to last year after reading that with an addition or 2 to the wheat maybe.

Cripes, youre on top form lately - youd know the silage is all cut!!!!
I'm bored :sad2:
As a result I'm currently open to job offers to amuse me for the next 4-5 months, preferably something that requires little effort and pays handsomely :whistle:

I'm bored :sad2:
As a result I'm currently open to job offers to amuse me for the next 4-5 months, preferably something that requires little effort and pays handsomely :whistle:
Let your land for €300 an acre cos it's all making that ser, failing that become an auctioneer and tell everyone that land is making €300 an acre freely-win win......

I thought this video was good.

The whole plant breeding world interests me greatly. Its importance is often forgotten.

Its a long term game, breeders are crossing varieties now to create varieties that will take at least 10yrs to become commercial, if at all.

The world seed association has a mine deep inside a mountain near the artic circle where seeds of many crops and plants are kept safe in case of a global disaster.

Hitler sent his scientists all over the world to collect plants and seeds for breeding purposes. Some of these seeds are still kept in a seed bank in Germany.

Without seeds we have no plants. Without plants we have no food.

New Rec Lists are out. They should be on the Dept of Ag website.

I'll try and upload the file later.

Heres an overview of our trials site in ShanagarryView attachment 39625 where we pick our up and coming varieties every year.

Just looking through some trial results from our site. Thought I'd share a statistic that I found really amazing (maybe I need to get out more).

The whole area of our 2016 spring barley trials was 120 metres long.
This 120m length is broken into four adjoining trial blocks. Each of these blocks has the same pair of control varieties in it (Mickle and Propino this year).
Each of the controls is planted 4 times within each of the trial blocks.

The yield of each of the trial blocks (corrected to 15% moisture content) was as follows:

Block 1. 8.09 T/Ha
Block 2. 8.09 T/Ha
Block 3. 8.01 T/Ha
Block 4. 8.01 T/Ha

That is only a 1% difference between the start of the trial block and the end of it 120 metres away.

It amazed me when I consider natural soil variation in fertility, compaction, spreading of fertiliser, spraying etc etc.

Back