Dosing

Cattle are in here three weeks tomorrow, all bought in from August onwards, they were treated with ivomec super when they were bought, when would be the best time to give them an oral fluke dose?

Also what about a lice treatment?
What's best, a cheap spot on type, or go for something that will do worms too?
We used ecomectin last winter I think it cost €.70 or €.80c/hd.

People will call my bluff but we have not used a lice pour on here for 5 years. Instead we clip everything. 4 runs of the clippers - 2 each side of the back bone. It takes about 40 seconds per animal.

We have had no scratching, no hair loss and little expense with the clippers only costing €70.

I don't know why it works but it does. Vet was here one day and commented that it's because lice live across the back bone because it's the warmest point in the cattle body. removing the hair removes the lice.

That's correct, lice need hair to nest in. No hair no lice. It also keeps them a lot cleaner, No sweating and lying shite sticks to sweaty hides. Clipping is a great job

Have cattle in since last week,dosed with closamectin pouron the day the arrived here mid August.A few are watery and scoury today any recommendations for dosing them now drench or injection.

Rumen fluke and liver fluke are common this year apparently .
2 good farmers near me with big problems.

Liver fluke is a big problem down here anyway, I hit them for both every year and the vet has suggested doing the cows in late Aug early Sept and dumping the milk for 4days, but I dried off the cows early this year so I passed on that idea but will keep a close eye on it next year !

I had scoured cows in August that lasted more than 3 weeks and I did them with Levafas Diamond and it cleared them up in a day. I did the weinlings with it too! The wet summer was the biggest cause of rumen fluke. The cattle thrived well after doing them!

I had scoured cows in August that lasted more than 3 weeks and I did them with Levafas Diamond and it cleared them up in a day. I did the weinlings with it too! The wet summer was the biggest cause of rumen fluke. The cattle thrived well after doing them!
I remember when we were affected by rumen fluke, that the cows were very sick for a couple of days after dosing them, then they took off. Allegedly, if they are really bad, dosing them can kill them.

I remember when we were affected by rumen fluke, that the cows were very sick for a couple of days after dosing them, then they took off. Allegedly, if they are really bad, dosing them can kill them.

I heard that at my last discussion group meeting. Lads very against doing them with it. Vet recommended that you dose them twice with a half rate dose for safety

Rumen fluke is allot smaller problem that what Norbrook would have you believe. Yes there are odd cases in herds, but highly unlikely the whole herd needs to be done for rumen fluke. Randomly dosing for rumen fluke would knock a week to 10 days off performance for cattle that don't have rumen fluke

Rumen fluke is allot smaller problem that what Norbrook would have you believe. Yes there are odd cases in herds, but highly unlikely the whole herd needs to be done for rumen fluke. Randomly dosing for rumen fluke would knock a week to 10 days off performance for cattle that don't have rumen fluke
When we had the problem, we only dosed cows the cows that were showing signs of affection. We should be taking the same approach with all parasites IMO

When we had the problem, we only dosed cows the cows that were showing signs of affection. We should be taking the same approach with all parasites IMO

It could be hard keep track of "selective "dosing, who got what and when . Less so now , I suppose with apps on phones etc.
Also pastures wouldn't be clean if you had mixed stock grazing them.

I must say I do agree on overuse of medicines , especially antibiotics , when ventilation in sheds is often to blame , and not difficult to rectify.

People will call my bluff but we have not used a lice pour on here for 5 years. Instead we clip everything. 4 runs of the clippers - 2 each side of the back bone. It takes about 40 seconds per animal.

We have had no scratching, no hair loss and little expense with the clippers only costing €70.

I don't know why it works but it does. Vet was here one day and commented that it's because lice live across the back bone because it's the warmest point in the cattle body. removing the hair removes the lice.
just wondering wen you Rd clipping cattle are they on straw or slats.must be perished with da cold

I bought a clippers this time last year , and did all cattles backs in "a landing strip ", A great job , buy I also did them with Ectospec poron at the same time. Have done done the yr and half cattle with the clippers , which are housed . They look very clean.

Poron is a waste of money puttin it on a couple of inchs of hair. Whatever chance it has of working , it needs to have skin contact.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Will it work?
Might get to use it, as cattle are feeding,
or if I'm in the shed with them, I should be outside the kicking zone..

@ithastopay you big girls blouse, I regularly give two vaccines and a pour-on while cattle are at the feed rail, you get right good at it after the first kick. Even the pour guns can fire it along the back from a distance

View attachment 41055 View attachment 41052 View attachment 41051

Will it work?
Might get to use it, as cattle are feeding,
or if I'm in the shed with them, I should be outside the kicking zone..

You crack on mate ,,, all the hard men calling you a blouse won't be there on a Sunday morning when you e a broke arm, leg or summat,,, been dosing cattle for most of the day and it's a bastard of a job,, shyte all over n cattle proper grumpy,,,

EDIT been dosing for liver fluke

Back