Spray/Chemical Prices

Apply 0.5 l/ha here pre Gs 30 and flag leaf, impossible to say for definite if it works but cereals require small amounts of boron and a lot of our soils here show up deficient in boron, how accurate a soil test is for predicting deficiency of trace elements is another thing, I suppose past experience is important but I would like to learn more about tissue testing if it is feasible and if it is useful

Is there any saving to buying spray in larger drums? I have declared war on rushes in the last 12 months and this year I calculate that I will need 50 litres of MCPA to cover all that I want to spray. I'm buying it in 10 litre drums @ €60 each, but can it be got in 25 litre drums?

Is there any saving to buying spray in larger drums? I have declared war on rushes in the last 12 months and this year I calculate that I will need 50 litres of MCPA to cover all that I want to spray. I'm buying it in 10 litre drums @ €60 each, but can it be got in 25 litre drums?

the future of mcpa is very much under threat.....

I've never seen mcpa in 25 litre drums. You would get a weakness mucky if you saw the cost of some of the cereal fungicides, €100 an acre handy for weeds, wild oats , growth regs and fungicides etc handy in wheat!!!!

And some of the 1l bottles easily in the three figures!!

Have seen it in a 20 litre drum but that was a few years ago.

Wasn't Mortone in black 25l drums?

I near got a weakness with the price of mandarin fungicide. Feckin 229 euro per 2.5 litre container. It better be super stuff is all I have to say.

A good eye opener on the British agrochemical market...could someone post a link please. TFF.

Methinks the same gouging happens in Ireland.
This forum would be a good place to 'let in some daylight' on chem pricing in Ireland.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.PNG
    IMG_0284.PNG
    126.6 KB · Views: 56
A good eye opener on the British agrochemical market...could someone post a link please. TFF.

Methinks the same gouging happens in Ireland.
This forum would be a good place to 'let in some daylight' on chem pricing in Ireland.
the same happening in Ireland?? Come on, we have to take down our pants ourselves in Ireland in preparation of getting ridden

the same happening in Ireland?? Come on, we have to take down our pants ourselves in Ireland in preparation of getting ridden

Amazingly, there's obviously no appetite whatsoever to discuss what I would consider to be a very important issue Ozzy.

Most unfortunate.

Amazingly, there's obviously no appetite whatsoever to discuss what I would consider to be a very important issue Ozzy.

Most unfortunate.
In relation to chemicals-there is a big difference in the uk and here, the U.K is full of independent agronomists, they are paid to walk crops and spend accordingly, the farmer has a shopping list and away they go to the cheapest place, the scale is huge and as a result so is the buying power and I think from reading other forums that a lot pay on delivery or the following month etc. They sell dry grain to traders so no allegence to anyone. Ireland is the opposite, very few independents, we rely on local merchants to buy the grain, if you buy feic all from them they may not be inclined to buy your grain or give a fair price, very very few walk their own crops and make their own decisions, heavily serviced so lads come in and walk crops and perscribe accordingly.

Most unfortunate.
I'm in a purchasing group and have no right to discuss prices on here, so haven't and wouldn't.
Clive is going bald headed for the agro chemical companies and their supply chain, with the backing of TFF he may be big enough to do it, but even the total Irish Tillage sector united as one is not big enough to have near the same clout.
Those following Clive might also find that they can work together when it suits them and if Brexit upsets supply they may find themselves left short, I know Clive wouldn't though.
I'm not having a go at your idea, I think there is room for a reduction in the profit chemical companies and supply companies are making off the tillage industry, I am not sure if the industry is big enough in Ireland to take on the chemical giants, or the handful of non aligned Irish tillage farmers on here are big enough to take on the likes of Acorn, Glanbia, etc.

I always found it a bit odd that say a farmer growing wheat and barley wouldnt walk their own crops and educate themselves enough to know what the crop needs in regard to chemicals and nutrition. I deal with a small independent merchant and I know he does his best on price, but I sure he is been shafted on price from the big suppliers. Times have moved on and it not impossible to get a container of any type of product delivered from any part of the world for a few thousand. Im sure the Ag industry will do their best to stop people doing such by licencing and other such measures

Is Clive going after the ag Chem manufacturers or the suppliers of them with this? It's not just chems its fert, seeds and many other inputs as well so I can make out

Is Clive going after the ag Chem manufacturers or the suppliers of them with this? It's not just chems its fert, seeds and many other inputs as well so I can make out
I read some of the thread last night, he seems to think that the Ag Chem manufactures are happy enough with his idea but its the suppliers in and out between who are having issues. Clive is probably on a ego trip though as he seems to like to do.

I read some of the thread last night, he seems to think that the Ag Chem manufactures are happy enough with his idea but its the suppliers in and out between who are having issues. Clive is probably on a ego trip though as he seems to like to do.
BASF had him over here at their conference in February, no doubt he was well rewarded for that. He has an indi agronomist and often speaks about his buying power of all inputs so I don't think he has much to gain. I wonder is he lining TFF up for a big sale and a nice pay day. Either way it will be interesting to follow it and see how it goes.

I always found it a bit odd that say a farmer growing wheat and barley wouldnt walk their own crops and educate themselves enough to know what the crop needs in regard to chemicals and nutrition. I deal with a small independent merchant and I know he does his best on price, but I sure he is been shafted on price from the big suppliers. Times have moved on and it not impossible to get a container of any type of product delivered from any part of the world for a few thousand. Im sure the Ag industry will do their best to stop people doing such by licencing and other such measures
You're not seriously suggesting lads walk their crops are you...?

Ah but lads have far more important things to be talking about....sure there's wet straw on the ground

I don't often agree with you Louis, but that post just about nails it...

...farmers should concern themselves with the important work, wet straw for example, and let the suppliers etc worry about the minor details. Lovely.

In relation to chemicals-there is a big difference in the uk and here, the U.K is full of independent agronomists, they are paid to walk crops and spend accordingly, the farmer has a shopping list and away they go to the cheapest place, the scale is huge and as a result so is the buying power and I think from reading other forums that a lot pay on delivery or the following month etc. They sell dry grain to traders so no allegence to anyone. Ireland is the opposite, very few independents, we rely on local merchants to buy the grain, if you buy feic all from them they may not be inclined to buy your grain or give a fair price, very very few walk their own crops and make their own decisions, heavily serviced so lads come in and walk crops and perscribe accordingly.

Ah sure, that explains it so.

No disrespect Blackwater boy, but do you work within the supply chain by any chance?

Back