Landrover Defender, something a bit different

Liam Flanagan

Just spent 4 yrs building this baby, time to play now :rolleyes2:
78029D56-C50F-4B49-A11B-A2DB4ABAD7E8_zpsjpjps7fb.jpg

0D642B98-4A17-4EE6-8A5E-B09D37B74033_zpskfpfkpfu.jpg

DBFDC916-E4C1-41C5-A0AE-A9E25C1854F1_zps8msnlci7.jpg

No problem with DOE, had advice from a tester as we built it, had to get the polycarbonate quarter windows we made certified and stamped, stamp looks very like the one on camper windows , the logbook for that defender actually states body type unspecified/unknown as it was originally an ex British RAF Landrover, engine is still the 2.5 200tdi from a disco for now, pulls no bother and cruised along at 60mph happy as Larry. Going to change ratios of diffs next to gear down a bit cause the wheels are 35 inches tall.

Browsing DD last night and I see the new landrover defender, looks great albeit nothing like the old one ,price is off the charts however, over 80 k

Now thats a machine.
Just dont crash it on the first bend!

About 20 years ago when I was a Land Rover enthusiast I fitted some huge mud terrains on alloys,I jumped in booted it up through the village and on the 1st bend I lost it and slid off the road into a field,fortunately for me it’s the only field with no fence as it’s sort of private grassland in front of a big public school,I learnt that day my mud terrains were useless in the wet.

About 20 years ago when I was a Land Rover enthusiast I fitted some huge mud terrains on alloys,I jumped in booted it up through the village and on the 1st bend I lost it and slid off the road into a field,fortunately for me it’s the only field with no fence as it’s sort of private grassland in front of a big public school,I learnt that day my mud terrains were useless in the wet.
At least they were handy for getting out of the field again anyway

is that to keep your hands warm when you push it out of a ditch????...

Oh headcase you are a wag........... I bet the long winter nights just fly by..... Any road I'd be pushing from the back on the heated rear window 😁😁😁

Liam did you fit a heated windscreen?? If so how much did it all cost and how long long did it take to fit or did you diy the job have got an 05 90 and am seriously thinking about getting one. Cheers vern
Accidentally crack your screen and claim a new heated one on your insurance😉,windscreen claims don’t affect your no claims.

Liam did you fit a heated windscreen?? If so how much did it all cost and how long long did it take to fit or did you diy the job have got an 05 90 and am seriously thinking about getting one. Cheers vern
Yep, we got one from Bearmach As far as I can remember, I used a timer relay from. Peugeot 308 off eBay and us d a starter solenoid from a quad for a relay as they use high amps, also wired the relay off the alternator so that it won't work unless engine is running. It's worth the effort, I can't remember what it cost but the windscreen wasn't huge compared to the standard one.

Have got a couple of quotes back. Can get the screen and wiring including relay and pukka dash switch. £309 incl vat. Fitted can't get it in till 8th January but hey I've managed thus far without so a few more days will matter not

Reactions: DMC
seen a new swb defender in town today on northern plates, defender was on the back of it but didn't see land-rover.
was a horrible plastic looking yoke and all curves, though at first it was a suzuki vitara while following it up the road to the junction ,wouldn't see the appeal in owning one ,doubtful from the quick look I got at it if it's even as big as the original defender

seen a new swb defender in town today on northern plates, defender was on the back of it but didn't see land-rover.
was a horrible plastic looking yoke and all curves, though at first it was a suzuki vitara while following it up the road to the junction ,wouldn't see the appeal in owning one ,doubtful from the quick look I got at it if it's even as big as the original defender
I have seen some brutal ugly ones but the one Harry metcalfe had on trial was a very attractive machine. Must be a huge variation in spec

Back