Send a wifi signal

muckymanor

At my parents house they have 3 broadband. We would like to be able to have broadband in 2 of our sheds. One is 20 meters away, the second is 120 meters. All have a line of sight.

There is no router - nothing to plug into. Is there any way to send wifi from the house to both of the sheds?

Would a booster improve the signal down at the sheds? I have a 3 one in the house that I got of a mate for the workshop but the following week I was able to get 3 and 4g out there so never bothered with it. It's collecting dust in the house so if you want it, it il save me throwing it out.

Would a booster improve the signal down at the sheds? I have a 3 one in the house that I got of a mate for the workshop but the following week I was able to get 3 and 4g out there so never bothered with it. It's collecting dust in the house so if you want it, it il save me throwing it out.

I don't think it will. A booster will help the signal that the dongle receives, but not what it sends out. With the senders that @vanderbadger links above, I might be able to send the signal through the power cable and into the sockets.

Are the house and yard on the same fuse board?

Don't know how well the tp link will work over that sort of distance.

Can the two sheds see the same side of the house, or a corner at least?

If so a router with an external connector to an outdoor omni antenna might cover the near shed and then a repeater with a a directional antenna at the far shed might just be able to link back to the omni.

I could do it in a flash for around a grand, but I'm guessing you're hoping to spend less than half that.

It's definitely totally doable for that kind of money just I'm out of touch with the cheaper stuff these days

Are the house and yard on the same fuse board?

Don't know how well the tp link will work over that sort of distance.

Can the two sheds see the same side of the house, or a corner at least?

If so a router with an external connector to an outdoor omni antenna might cover the near shed and then a repeater with a a directional antenna at the far shed might just be able to link back to the omni.

I could do it in a flash for around a grand, but I'm guessing you're hoping to spend less than half that.

It's definitely totally doable for that kind of money just I'm out of touch with the cheaper stuff these days

Yea, all wired to the one fuseboard. Looking at those powerline senders, there are different models available and the strongest model says that it will send a signal up to 100 meters. I think the first port of call is to but one off ebay and see how they do.

Both sheds are on the same side of the house. Antennas might work if the poweline plug does not.

Can't spend a grand on it when I can get a prepaid dongle for €20 per month. 5 months per year. €100 per year. 10 year payback is not good enough when technology may change a few times in that 10 years. Will have to keep looking at doing it on the cheap.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/272707192623

If you have straight line of sight this would work, have one at home and you can get WiFi our to about 300 and it can be set to do longer distance. I was running an wireless ip camera through it and it worked fine, would lag a little when using the ptz movements but it was a cheap camera off eBay too.

If you need to do further distance a pair of these can be set up to bridge up to 5km line of sight.

The only issue is you will need a router to run it through

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/272707192623

If you have straight line of sight this would work, have one at home and you can get WiFi our to about 300 and it can be set to do longer distance. I was running an wireless ip camera through it and it worked fine, would lag a little when using the ptz movements but it was a cheap camera off eBay too.

If you need to do further distance a pair of these can be set up to bridge up to 5km line of sight.

The only issue is you will need a router to run it through

A router can be set up for it.

We have a tv ariel on the house that we could mount that to. Does it need something like an antenna to pick up the signal at the other end or does it just beam the signal 300 meters in a general direction so that the signal could be picked up on the phone or camera in a circular area?

Both sheds are in a line of sight from the old tv ariel.

A router can be set up for it.

We have a tv ariel on the house that we could mount that to. Does it need something like an antenna to pick up the signal at the other end or does it just beam the signal 300 meters in a general direction so that the signal could be picked up on the phone or camera in a circular area?

Both sheds are in a line of sight from the old tv ariel.
You can set 2 of them up point to point or can set one up singly to broadcast a WiFi network over a large area. I just had one set up to broadcast over the area. You can set it up to have the same network name and password as your existing WiFi network or else you can have a separate network name.

There’s also the option that the network can be hidden meaning that you have to specifically search for the network by name using all the correct details, this option is probably the best one to take from a security point of view

Yea, all wired to the one fuseboard. Looking at those powerline senders, there are different models available and the strongest model says that it will send a signal up to 100 meters. I think the first port of call is to but one off ebay and see how they do.

Both sheds are on the same side of the house. Antennas might work if the poweline plug does not.

Can't spend a grand on it when I can get a prepaid dongle for €20 per month. 5 months per year. €100 per year. 10 year payback is not good enough when technology may change a few times in that 10 years. Will have to keep looking at doing it on the cheap.
I have them In the van if u want to get one to try no problem at all save u having to buy one and it may not work..

I have them In the van if u want to get one to try no problem at all save u having to buy one and it may not work..
Looking at reviews for them online they aren't really suitable for the distance. Fine for inside the walls of a house but not the distance that I require. But thanks for the offer

Looking at reviews for them online they aren't really suitable for the distance. Fine for inside the walls of a house but not the distance that I require. But thanks for the offer
Yeah I would be thinking that as well myself.. There funny tho they might work where up think they shouldn't and won't where u think they should and I have seen them just stop working in houses for no reason.. If u can run a cat 5 its hard to beat

I have it working here tp link routers in bridge point to point mode with yagi antennas both ends distance is at least 150m and they are on separate supplies. can get more details later.

2 of these
Edimax EW-7228APn N150 Wireless Access Point with 5 Port switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JV42A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Cd2oanuXEE5Mi
And 2 if these or similar

DealMux 2.4G 25dBi 16 Elements Directional Yagi Antenna RP-SMA Male Connector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072SLX4RN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BQl.zbDRZYG6E

I got my aerials on eBay but supplier no longer there. The last one I bought on eBay was useless had to bin it so hoping above would be more reputable.

If help needed configuring just ask

2 of these
Edimax EW-7228APn N150 Wireless Access Point with 5 Port switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JV42A0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Cd2oanuXEE5Mi
And 2 if these or similar

DealMux 2.4G 25dBi 16 Elements Directional Yagi Antenna RP-SMA Male Connector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072SLX4RN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BQl.zbDRZYG6E

I got my aerials on eBay but supplier no longer there. The last one I bought on eBay was useless had to bin it so hoping above would be more reputable.

If help needed configuring just ask
Is there something that can boost a Wi-Fi signal within a house?. The WiFi here is in the middle of the house but once you go to either end of the house the WiFi is next to useless.

Is there something that can boost a Wi-Fi signal within a house?. The WiFi here is in the middle of the house but once you go to either end of the house the WiFi is next to useless.

That's one of the downsides of having a large country mansion...

Seriously though . Same problem here . Due like you , to seriously thick stone walls in old houses I presume . We have a 2nd router . I understand none of the technicalities.

Have zero mobile phone reception in the house . Can you get a booster for that problem ?

If you want to do it right...Ubiquiti seem to be the best kit. A lot of other solutions are messy and difficult to configure.
Ubiquiti units can either transmit to each other and repeat the signal but the better option is either to run a cable to each unit or use those powerline adaptors.

That's one of the downsides of having a large country mansion...

Seriously though . Same problem here . Due like you , to seriously thick stone walls in old houses I presume . We have a 2nd router . I understand none of the technicalities.

Have zero mobile phone reception in the house . Can you get a booster for that problem ?

You can get a wifi repeater - it takes the signal and boosts it. Our router is in our attic - there's a wifi signal upstairs, but it's poor downstairs. We have the repeater in the landing upstairs which sends the signal downstairs. It's a good job for €40 and really easy to set up.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computin...e-extender-ac-750-dual-band-10024654-pdt.html

Should have said our Netflix is working through one so it's plenty fast enough for home use, you'll have it set up in 10 mins , theres a button to push to clone your network settings and away you go!

Anyone purchase WiFi extender house to yard lately? Don’t want goin on eBay or Amazon if possible as postage taxes etc complicate process. Thanks

Back