Redstart

Would Redstart germinate in stubbles in this dry weather. Or would it be better to wait for :boat:?

Is redstart allowable as a glas cover crop? Whats the best way of sowing it? Could be very handy to stretch feed supplies for smaller cattle next winter

Is redstart allowable as a glas cover crop? Whats the best way of sowing it? Could be very handy to stretch feed supplies for smaller cattle next winter
Grazing anything heavier than a four legged Wolly monster would be a concern when the weather conditions break and ground condition deteriorate

You might be better off with some hydrid fodder rape and mix a few kgs of oats with it if your in glas. The redstart is expensive enough and the fodder rape mentioned above may yield as much if not more.

You might be better off with some hydrid fodder rape and mix a few kgs of oats with it if your in glas. The redstart is expensive enough and the fodder rape mentioned above may yield as much if not more.

Gorilla Hybrid Fodder Rape is our offering on the market. Very good feedback over the past 2yrs.

How are you thinking of sowing it 6600?
Was all enthusiastic about it after a discussion group. Was going to get a lad with a disc mounted air seeder to do it. Common sense has prevailed. Soil has properly dried out and cracked and I'm not going to ruin that for the sake of a bit of late, wet grazing. Will plough it good and early and put in WW. That will be more valuable next year with more grain and straw for the cattle.
A friend is going to sow all his stubbles with Redstart in the hope of baling it in October for needy dairy farmers. That sounds like a bit too much hardship. Would the bales not be a tad wet?

P and k offtake for a brassica crop producing 5 T/ha DM would be in the region of 15 units P and 120 units K per acre if he's thinking of baling and removing

P and k offtake for a brassica crop producing 5 T/ha DM would be in the region of 15 units P and 120 units K per acre if he's thinking of baling and removing
Was telling him that but blinded by the dollar

What money is being spoken about for these crops to sell? Very hard to make anything out of them unless for personal use I feel
By the time you put in the crop , mow it in October ( if it’s dry enough) and maybe get 7/8 bales to the acre it would cover the hire work, well that’s with my match box calculator ( which breaks down sometimes) . Had 2 lads onto me and refused, was thinking since I might offer it to them for €50 an acre and they have to be out by mid October and let them do what they like with it. I wonder would that work !!!!

Friend was approached by his neighbour about using his winter barley ground for fodder rape. No mention of money....:rolleyes2:

My friend could just imagine the field in gutter next February with wheel ruts to round feeders.

I was glad to hear that he told him no

:scared:, I was wondering did anyone ever bale and wrap forage rape / redstart in October ? Until today I learnt it's 85% water or close to it.

Would really be for smaller stock next February and mix it with silage to stretch feeding at that point.

Wouldn't have stock to graze it which would be light enough and sheep are really the only job for it.

Is Gorilla Hybrid the same as Redstart in that its a kale x rape hybrid?

As far as I know it’s fodder rape crossed with fodder rape. Nothing to do with Kale but I’ll double check this.

Good on powdery mildew and quite resistant to Clubroot should someone be unlucky enough to have it in their land.

You will have very little bulk by mid October so that's a waste of time. I'd reckon the crop would want to be left until at least mid November or before any big frosts

What money is being spoken about for these crops to sell? Very hard to make anything out of them unless for personal use I feel
That’s the way I see it, you’re really only creating work for yourself and if you don’t have all the machinery you mightn’t even have that much. You then risk compaction or volunteers creating a problem with the next crop, if it’s for yourself it’s obvious worth it as it will solve your fodder shortage.

Had 2 lads onto me and refused, was thinking since I might offer it to them for €50 an acre and they have to be out by mid October and let them do what they like with it. I wonder would that work !!!!
Same as that here, told them go away and figure out exactly how much they want, they can pay for all the inputs/work and give me X amount per acre, they are on about zerograzing it off so I’d have that out of it and one said he wouldn’t expect to be getting a second cut so the regrowth might create some organic matter.

That’s the way I see it, you’re really only creating work for yourself and if you don’t have all the machinery you mightn’t even have that much. You then risk compaction or volunteers creating a problem with the next crop, if it’s for yourself it’s obvious worth it as it will solve your fodder shortage.

Same as that here, told them go away and figure out exactly how much they want, they can pay for all the inputs/work and give me X amount per acre, they are on about zerograzing it off so I’d have that out of it and one said he wouldn’t expect to be getting a second cut so the regrowth might create some organic matter.
I reckon for forage rape that you should do all the work, grow the crop and then charge your costs +€50-€75 an acre. You get the benefit of the cover crop and the zerograzing work during late October and November and a few bob more. I know a man that let land for €90 an acre for westerwolds to a neighboring dairy man, dairy man does all the work and supplies inputs and the field must be given back 1st of April then. Zerograzing or cutting only, no stock. I taught it was a good deal for the tillage man. The crop will also be well fertilized with plenty P and K was a stipulation.

Back