Straw Spreaders / Bedders

I was wondering that if you were only using it to break up the bale you could probably have the flywheel working at its slowest possible speed, could that work do you reckon or would it be easy stall it?
it will work on the outside of the bales but when you get to the middle you,d have to have the revs up or it will block the chute as the bale will start to feed in quicker

If you take the knives out of a straw blower does it cut down on the dust at all?
Not in the slightest; bear in mind the knives are on the feed rotor and this doesn't run awfully fast. It's the flywheel that creates speed/wind/dusty conditions.
MF30

Reactions: KJL
Cheers it's kind of with a re baling idea that I have had in mind so only really want the bale broken up not smashed to bits, must try and see one in action during the winter as I've never seen anything only a "spread a bale" being used.
If the straw is in good condition in the bale then it shouldn't be too difficult to rebale. Last time I did a few our feed passage is on a downward fall and is 100ft long. I placed the bale at the top of passage, then look at bale carefully to see which way to unroll it easily ie. in the opposite direction in which it was baled. Remove net then give bale a kick. It would unroll in a not very straight line so I'd have to steer it sometimes. It would be fully rolled out before the end of passage. Bit of a lump left in the centre alright, give it another kick out. Then straight in with the baler in low gear, jobs a good 'un.
MF30

Not in the slightest; bear in mind the knives are on the feed rotor and this doesn't run awfully fast. It's the flywheel that creates speed/wind/dusty conditions.
MF30
Knives aren't on the rotor on ours, it's more like the rotor in a baler with knives separate which can be lifted out of the way or lowered down to chop it

I presume Nash is asking how much straw use to be used in a shed or yard before buying the straw blower versus with the straw blower in the same shed or yard.
Haaa. I see

Most manufacturers claim a third in savings. I think that is about right.
The year we bought ours we also increased our sheep shed by a third and didn't use any extra straw.

But time is it's main benefit. Hour and a half's pitch forking down to 10-15 minuites including loading bales etc. Not to mention out of the dust.

You do need good ventilation in the sheds though. And the ability to drive through a shed rather than reverse down saves serious time.

Anybody have a pre and post comparison of using a bedder for a certain shed?

Are you thinking of investing Nash?

I’m in the market for one myself.
Must be mounted with a feeder/chopper drum as well as the blower.
Needs to be able to self load both squares and rounds.
A 360 chute would be nice, but not essential.
Needs to be light enough to be driven by a Landini powerfarm 85.
And finally, no electrics!

Recommendations?

Are you thinking of investing Nash?

I’m in the market for one myself.
Must be mounted with a feeder/chopper drum as well as the blower.
Needs to be able to self load both squares and rounds.
A 360 chute would be nice, but not essential.
Needs to be light enough to be driven by a Landini powerfarm 85.
And finally, no electrics!

Recommendations?
Go trailed. Everyone who goes mounted seems to regret it!
Lucas do one with a tracking drawbar similar to a trailed sprayer. Very manouverable.

I made my jeantil so it's trailed,I then ran it on a 85hp tractor,I would say we had no saving whatsoever in straw just easier.

I'd never go back to a straw blower after owning a spread a bale,brilliant piece of kit,so easy to use and doesn't tie a tractor up.

Go trailed. Everyone who goes mounted seems to regret it!
Lucas do one with a tracking drawbar similar to a trailed sprayer. Very manouverable.

Had à trailed Lucas before. A beast to chop and spread. It took two 6’ rounds or 2 big squares.
However we now use straw on cubicles, and the passages are quite long and dead ended, so a bit of reversing has to be done. Therefore a mounted is necessary.

Have a Sirot mounted now with electric controls but need to go hydraulic because gobshytes tend to forget to unplug the lead and control box...€700 repair bill.

Sirot and Lucas are made close by so I’ll probably go with one of them. Depending on price.
The Landini has two sets of weights on to stay level as the rounds and squares are usually 500kg.

Reactions: AYF
Had à trailed Lucas before. A beast to chop and spread. It took two 6’ rounds or 2 big squares.
However we now use straw on cubicles, and the passages are quite long and dead ended, so a bit of reversing has to be done. Therefore a mounted is necessary.

Have a Sirot mounted now with electric controls but need to go hydraulic because gobshytes tend to forget to unplug the lead and control box...€700 repair bill.

Sirot and Lucas are made close by so I’ll probably go with one of them. Depending on price.
The Landini has two sets of weights on to stay level as the rounds and squares are usually 500kg.

Come to think of it. I'm almost sure I saw a spreader on castors rather than wheels somewhere. So 'semi mounted' as it were. Seemed like a good idea.

Think the main complaint with mounted is the swing from them going round corners?

Haaa. I see

Most manufacturers claim a third in savings. I think that is about right.
The year we bought ours we also increased our sheep shed by a third and didn't use any extra straw.

But time is it's main benefit. Hour and a half's pitch forking down to 10-15 minuites including loading bales etc. Not to mention out of the dust.

You do need good ventilation in the sheds though. And the ability to drive through a shed rather than reverse down saves serious time.
When bedding sheep do you let them out of the pens or leave them in?

@Sheebadog take a look at the Teagle Telehawk. Hydraulically powered and the way the flow is set-up the floor stops if the flywheel comes under too much pressure. It has Bluetooth control so just a simple power cable for solenoids and a hydraulic supply/return

Back