Redstart

21A7B474-6F48-4F1A-9B1C-E325AD8AEAFE.jpeg
Drilled 23 acres of Redstart yesterday evening for a man that we rent land off. Probably a little late but it was spring barley and we only got it baled in Tuesday. Grubbed it with the kingskilde and drilled it with the one-pass which is probably a bit of an over-kill compared to other methods but this mans cattle are very much depending on this for the winter so want to give it every chance.

34753FCA-D27F-4D1E-A688-D6D6AE412136.jpeg B2BCFA41-8DFA-4DC2-96F3-3527396CCB7A.jpeg F0092B52-E6FF-421C-BEA7-FD564B584493.jpeg
What disc have you? It did very nice work for just 1 run.
A tolmet, got it back in the spring, impressed with it so far. We had a headland that was too wet and full of roots to plough in the spring and after 2/3 runs you wouldn’t have known the difference, the furrow is somewhere in the middle of the headland in the pics. We looked at a lot of them in the one day back to back and settled on it, couldn’t justify the expense of the higher end makes for what we have here and some of the other lower end ones just annoyed me to be honest. One make there was a few in the yard and the 2 gangs of discs were in opposite order on 2 harrows, another the salesman talked himself out of a sale going on about changing serial numbers and seeders that we weren’t interested in at the time, and one of the other low end makes we’d 0 interest in was definitely being polled on price to bring it too close to the higher end machine they also happened to sell.

We liked the clearance between gangs on this one and the frame seems well built too

Walked some of the edge of the field today and I can see an odd plant starting to appear! Only a very odd one but quite surprised for 5 days and pretty much no rain worth talking about on it yet. Hopefully it stays steaming onwards

Said I’d update this, down the 18th August,
This was it 22nd sept a few days after we got the fert out on it.D737A307-3329-4A57-8A84-8CB073C6E7AF.jpeg
Then this was 4th Oct, 3C978D66-0CC0-4905-B1CD-779D0EF02DA9.jpeg
Must get a pic in the next day or so, it’s just over the top of my wellie now, will be starting into it shortly as grass is as good as gone around here!

What else are you feeding them drew? They look nice and content anyway :Thumbp2:
They’re in and out to the shed and gettin silage whilst inside, they’ve only been getting a small amount of redstart atm. The first day they went out to it the walked straight through it and cleared all the barley that had grown on the bit that we left unsown and every inch of the ditch. Took them about 3 days to get going on it, now the minute they go out it’s heads down into it and clear it

first time sowing a fodder crop and i can safely say never again, unless you can let them into a shed like drew its nothing only hardship and messing, weanlings off the gorilla since tuesday and after today i can,t see them going back onto it for a long time as the field is like brown porridge :cry:

first time sowing a fodder crop and i can safely say never again, unless you can let them into a shed like drew its nothing only hardship and messing, weanlings off the gorilla since tuesday and after today i can,t see them going back onto it for a long time as the field is like brown porridge :cry:
Learned that lesson a long time ago and just wait until the cold, wet January morning when you walk down the field only to find their after breaking through the wire.....never again!!!!

It's grand for the wooly monsters and that's about it really.

What's the crop like?

Learned that lesson a long time ago and just wait until the cold, wet January morning when you walk down the field only to find their after breaking through the wire.....never again!!!!
Ive always wondered how it worked out I can only imagine you end up with animals up to there belly in scutter tramping down half the stuff.
I see bits of kale baled this year wonder what it would be like in a bale?

@humungus you must be doing something wrong. Perfect conditions here the only problem is the heifers will not be here for 10 days.
I am having flashbacks to being at early mass and hearing the tick of the Cheetah coming through the speakers in the church knowing the cattle had broken through.
4F1BDEA2-03CA-451E-814B-4992D28EE523.jpeg

This was ours on the 10th of November last year after 5 weeks of grazing, looked worse when they were first put on in September. Cattle were taken out around New Years. We’re on heavier soils and it was sown to spring barley on the 20th of April in perfect conditions - we definely got a dryer spring than most to be fair. Couldn’t get over how quickly it dried up when the weather came.
pXyeu7o.jpg

R2C8RrA.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll be starting grazing my gorilla rape next Saturday, I’ve 22 acres of it and I’ll graze it in roughly 1 acre blocks, no heavy strip grazing of it as thats when you’ll wreck it. There is lots of vol barley in it so that should help the stomachs, they will get stemmy silage and meal also. Any port in a storm

It's grand for the wooly monsters and that's about it really.

What's the crop like?
a great crop, a good bit cut around here with zero grazers and was working well until the rain came now they,re pulling them out with second tractors

@humungus you must be doing something wrong. Perfect conditions here the only problem is the heifers will not be here for 10 days.
I am having flashbacks to being at early mass and hearing the tick of the Cheetah coming through the speakers in the church knowing the cattle had broken through.
View attachment 60082
every earthworm in that field will be down at the bottom of the hill carried along by a sea of mud , you,d better hope those heifers head for ballon when they break out on the road and not the motorway,i,ll be listening to AA roadwatch some morning and they,ll be warning motorists to watch out for wildebeests at the fighting cocks :sad:

a great crop, a good bit cut around here with zero grazers and was working well until the rain came now they,re pulling them out with second tractors

Lots of it cut around here too but haven't seen any of the latter carry on and wouldn't want to either.

every earthworm in that field will be down at the bottom of the hill carried along by a sea of mud , you,d better hope those heifers head for ballon when they break out on the road and not the motorway,i,ll be listening to AA roadwatch some morning and they,ll be warning motorists to watch out for wildebeests at the fighting cocks :sad:

Arwen Foley will be following it up with a report about a Focus being driven erratically in Carlow also :lol:

Back