Milking parlours

In the spring time then is there a lot of buckets needed in the pit for beastings ?

Dump buckets? I got 2 of them here, no dumpline, you get the odd few rows with say 6 cows who all need their milk dumped, usually what I do there is put dump buckets on 2 at the start, then go clean down/clusters on rest, swap over dump buckets to next 2, and the last 2 get drafted out and back into the holding yard for another row. If I'm proper under pressure/feeling lazy I'll just leave some on till next milking, especially if it's a heifer ha.

Where do ye go then with the milk in the buckets? is there not alot of hauling around buckets up steps and all that?

Usually have afew buckets with lids (otherwise cows will immediately sh1te right into them haha), can leave them at the end of the pit, beastings often gets dumped straight into the slurry tank. I usually have a 2nd person in the parlour from mid Feb to mid March with the proper burst of calvings/heifers so under no real pressure having to move buckets.

2 dump buckets with 32 units here,we park the milk taxi outside the door and tip into it,never leave milk uncovered in the pit.

I like the idea of a tub in the pit with a sub pump into the milk taxi,would do with a pedal bin type lid.

You dump the beastings in the slurry tank ??
You would be worn from taking milk up out of the pit and into a milk taxi outside the door scoff I'd say !

You would be worn from taking milk up out of the pit and into a milk taxi outside the door scoff I'd say !

Usually have the new calved cows come in last so they are at the front of the parlour,the milk taxi is only 15' from the pit,get a couple on straight away while washing units and then swap onto others,very rarely have more than 4 new calved in a day as we calve 365,only save 1st day beastings then rest gets thrown or to the bull calves.

Main slurry tank is literally at back of the parlour and parlour washings at the front so whichever is closest.

After the 1st feed the Beastings / 2hrs of a calf's life the beastings are of no benefit to the calf .

And in any case the calf isn't gonna drink more than a few litres of it! Having said all that I decided to throw out all Teagasc advice of feeding beastings within 2hrs etc and let mother nature on with it and the calf suck the cow last spring whenever possible, alot less work and plenty strong healthy calves on the ground!

The new dairymaster Acr panel are they troublefree or is the older push button 1 better/ worse ? Thats the panel in the pit i am on about.

Why i was asking was the dairymaster lad that services our parlour was saying if we were putting in Acrs to put in the newer box which is a €1100 a unit that the older ones were a bit troublesome and they were €1000 .

Why i was asking was the dairymaster lad that services our parlour was saying if we were putting in Acrs to put in the newer box which is a €1100 a unit that the older ones were a bit troublesome and they were €1000 .
sorry ours is a milk meter one that does the acrs as well .there is a stand alone acr one too

So I have 2 quotes for a complete Cashman feeding system (bin,augers,feeders) 1 from gascoigne €19,000 and the other from crowley's €20,000 ...

Any suppliers of the pvc box corrugated sheets in the south east?
Nearly dealt with a crowd near the border I saw selling it on DoneDeal and when I searched the company before handing over money they came up as ceased trading!

Back