Fence Posts/Stakes

nashmach

I thought we'd have a thread on here for fencing posts/stakes but can't find one now.

What are people's opinions of the lifetime versus price?

I know PDM's are the bees knees but we had a lot of roughly sawn pressurized ones here for 15 years or so and they are only failing now, not helped by the snow.

We were thinking of replacing a lot of them with 5.5ft ones or so and 5in thick and corner ones with 6in thick. Most of these would be going in wetter land.

I think the three inch ones you typically see in the co-ops are a waste of time bar temporary fence.

What are others buying now?

Did them plastic ones ever take off
They are a hell of a price! Tough to get a staple into as well.
Not sure if you need to pilot drill a hole to staple?

But would be there for life! Bet they'd be very usefull in fruit growing where you might need posts to hold growing wires seasonally

Pdm not the same as they used to be ...seen them rotten after 5/6 years now .
Have some octoposts down a few years and they seem a lot better

Dad got a price for other cresoted ones here during the week. They are about 66% of the price of PDM ones....

I thought we'd have a thread on here for fencing posts/stakes but can't find one now.

What are people's opinions of the lifetime versus price?

I know PDM's are the bees knees but we had a lot of roughly sawn pressurized ones here for 15 years or so and they are only failing now, not helped by the snow.

We were thinking of replacing a lot of them with 5.5ft ones or so and 5in thick and corner ones with 6in thick. Most of these would be going in wetter land.

I think the three inch ones you typically see in the co-ops are a waste of time bar temporary fence.

What are others buying now?

Go to Tommy Williamson near you and buy the creosote hexagon stakes and relax for another 25 years. Stay away from his round ones as the creosote just washes off them.

Octoposts seem to be appearing about here now,think I'll be trying some next.

Can't say I'm over impressed with my Clipex posts had a fair few bent over this summer by my in calf heifers,if I'd had electric on the top it probably wouldn't have happened,main problem I've had is strainers failing under 5 years old,I'm now using box crash barrier or 88mm galv pipe.

Octoposts seem to be appearing about here now,think I'll be trying some next.

Can't say I'm over impressed with my Clipex posts had a fair few bent over this summer by my in calf heifers,if I'd had electric on the top it probably wouldn't have happened,main problem I've had is strainers failing under 5 years old,I'm now using box crash barrier or 88mm galv pipe.
Are you setting the strainer in concrete?

Dad got a price for other cresoted ones here during the week. They are about 66% of the price of PDM ones....
What brand or where do they come from?
Octo seem popular now though pricey.
There are a couple of people importing creosote posts that are supposed to be slow grown. Should be good.
Pdm are using fresh softwood apparently

Go to Tommy Williamson near you and buy the creosote hexagon stakes and relax for another 25 years. Stay away from his round ones as the creosote just washes off them.

I'd rather his round ones tbh, my experience of octoposts is that they crack as they season. The rounds are messier, but get a saw at one and see how far the creosote is gone in.....PDMs wouldn't hold a candle to them.

I'd rather his round ones tbh, my experience of octoposts is that they crack as they season. The rounds are messier, but get a saw at one and see how far the creosote is gone in.....PDMs wouldn't hold a candle to them.
Tommy imports rounds ones himself so are we talking about the same imported round stake?

I have used his round ones when the octoposts are out of stock. They seem to split a lot easier and after a year some of mine have turned white and then green. I find they crack at the staple a lot more than the octoposts. I did buy some of his smaller ones {2") and they are a super round stake for electric fencing but i hand picked the bundle i wanted as some bundles seem to be better treated then others.

What brand or where do they come from?
Octo seem popular now though pricey.
There are a couple of people importing creosote posts that are supposed to be slow grown. Should be good.
Pdm are using fresh softwood apparently

Can't tell you that to be honest. I heard similar about PDM stakes in the past too, I forgot about it until legsandland mentioned it.

The local frs have a great selection of stakes. I usually go in there and get what I want. Along with eggs, insulators ect.

The local frs have a great selection of stakes. I usually go in there and get what I want. Along with eggs, insulators ect.
That's where I went for my overpriced 7ft. PDM strainers (€24 incl vat :speechless:) I thought them a little soft when driving staples into them and some of the previous posts would confirm my suspicion, hard to beat octoposts which might seem dearer by 25-30% but if they live 70-100% longer they are cheaper in the long run, if I have a relatively flat straight run of wire I use a good strainer at each end and pigtails in between, cheaper and easier.

if I have a relatively flat straight run of wire I use a good strainer at each end and pigtails in between, cheaper and easier.

We have always made all our own pigtails out of rebar. It costs about the same to buy the rebar and the insulator, but they will last for 30 years. As you say, just drop in a good strainer every so often and then use the pigtails inbetween. They are especially handy for the glas hedges. We can just drop the wire and move out the posts to run the hedgecutter along it. Some of the pigtails that we made in the mid 80's are still in use.

That's where I went for my overpriced 7ft. PDM strainers (€24 incl vat :speechless:) I thought them a little soft when driving staples into them and some of the previous posts would confirm my suspicion, hard to beat octoposts which might seem dearer by 25-30% but if they live 70-100% longer they are cheaper in the long run, if I have a relatively flat straight run of wire I use a good strainer at each end and pigtails in between, cheaper and easier.

A fence is only as good as its strainer,I've even thought of digging concrete sleepers in for strainers,using gripple t clips means they are easy to fasten round.

That sounds like clipex posts.
A crowd in Ennis or somewhere around there are the agents

I was just pricing it up today. I want a galvanised post along a laneway which is 250 meters in length and I want to to put 2 row of electric fence onto it. My only reason for a galvanised post is the aesthetics. A standard clipex post is 3mm steel and it is star shaped. They come in at roughly €7.30 per post for 1.5 meter posts. I would also have to buy the electric fence insulators at €0.70 each. That's €8.70 inc 2 insulators. A strainer post is €21.

I went at it from another angle. I can buy 6mm 1" angle for €16 per length. That's 4 posts or €4 per post. I can cut them down, point them and drill them. I can get them galvanised for approx €1 each. I could get an electric fence insulator with a roll pin in it for €0.50. That's €6 for what would be a much heavier post. I could make a good strong strainer post by welding 2 angle posts together and making a prop for it if necessary and having it all dipped for approx €12. You can get nice decorative plastic caps for the angle iron too at less than 25c each.
I think it merits a closer look!

I was just pricing it up today. I want a galvanised post along a laneway which is 250 meters in length and I want to to put 2 row of electric fence onto it. My only reason for a galvanised post is the aesthetics. A standard clipex post is 3mm steel and it is star shaped. They come in at roughly €7.30 per post for 1.5 meter posts. I would also have to buy the electric fence insulators at €0.70 each. That's €8.70 inc 2 insulators. A strainer post is €21.

I went at it from another angle. I can buy 6mm 1" angle for €16 per length. That's 4 posts or €4 per post. I can cut them down, point them and drill them. I can get them galvanised for approx €1 each. I could get an electric fence insulator with a roll pin in it for €0.50. That's €6 for what would be a much heavier post. I could make a good strong strainer post by welding 2 angle posts together and making a prop for it if necessary and having it all dipped for approx €12. You can get nice decorative plastic caps for the angle iron too at less than 25c each.
I think it merits a closer look!
Do you value your time at all? Are you drawing work on yourself to save only a small bit

Back